Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Fall Orders Arriving

Posted by nckvilledudes OrwellianzQ (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 07 at 15:03

I received the first of several orders of clematis I have ordered for fall delivery on Friday. The first to arrive was from Donahue's where I ordered Prince Charles, Carmencita, Royal Velours, and Mrs. Robert Brydon. I should have taken shots of the root systems on the plants I received but I didn't have the camera with me at the time and was anxious to get them potted up.

All of the plants arrived in 2 1/2 to 3 inch pots that were about quart sized and all had really good root systems. The Mrs. Robert Brydon probably could have been directly planted in the ground but since it is back to being hot and still dry here I decided that all four would be potted up and grown out until spring and then planted.

I must say that I was really impressed with what I got from Donahues this year. I have ordered from them in the past and in fact, my first two viticellas--Madame Julia Correvon and Purpurea Plena Elegans, were ordered from them many years ago. I can't quite remember what sized pots they came in back then but I don't remember them being as mature as the ones that I got this year or in as big a pot.

Earlier this season I purchased a Donahues clematis from a local garden center and what they were selling were plants in 1 to 1 1/2 inch sized pots-typically called liners and smaller plants that are typically what the big suppliers buy and pot up and grow out prior to selling. That little plant cost me $10 plus tax. The ones that I ordered from Donahues this fall were much larger plants, in larger pots, and the cost for the four of them with shipping was $47.00. Here is a picture of the four plants.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for us in the future to pictorial display our purchases (with root systems showing if possible-sorry the excitement made me pot up without getting pictures) and our general costs and impressions of our plant purchases. This will help document who is selling what, at what price, and the condition of the plants we received.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Fall Orders Arriving

Excellent information! I have clipped your post and saved it for my future ordering information. I think this is a fantastic idea. As I have mentioned in the past, I am leary of ordering online and keep looking to all of you for your experiences from the online growers. Have you visited the Rate & Review Forum for Vendors yet? That is another source that I have been peaking at for reputable growers.

Thank you!
Tracy

o

It's good to hear someone else saying something positive about Donahues. A lot of my Clematis are from Donahues, and the plants have always been healthy and the root system robust for the size of pots they arrive in.

Next year we have a family thing in Minnesota, and will be only two hours away from Donahues. No one in the family knows it yet, but a buy trip for clematis will be mandatory.

o

Those are nice looking plants, Miguel. The ones I am anxious to see are the ones that I have ordered from Chalk Hill. My last few have been a mixed bag, some good, some not so much. I have some coming from Dan too but the ones I have received from him have been consistently well rooted so I'm not expecting anything other than nice plants. I have a bunch of bulbs coming next month too. I surely hope it cools off enough to plant some of this stuff!

Carol

o

Glad to see that some think this is a good idea. I have plants yet to come from Silver Star Vinery, Chalk Hill, and Brushwood. I will post info on them when they arrive.

Carol, I similarly have had mixed results from Chalk Hill. The most recent was not positive with the plants not being well rooted and the medium falling apart when I pulled them out of the pots. Have 3 coming from them so am anxious to see if the ones I ordered are better rooted than the last delivery.

Let's keep this info coming since pictures can convey a 1000 words.

o

I thought Donahues was a Wholesale place...can you provide the link to buy them online?...Jeanne

o

Jeanne, go to the Donahues website and order a catalog. You can order from the catalog once you get it. They don't have an active website you can order from directly.

o

So you don't have to order a certain amount??..What are their price per clematis? Thanks Miguel !...Jeanne

o

Jeanne, the price per plant depends on how many you purchase but you don't have to order any minimum amount. You can order as few as one. As I said previously, the four with shipping cost me $47.00. I can't remember the cost breakdown since that part of the catalog is what you send back with your order.

o

Donahue's has a nice retail store.

They also sell clematis in one gallon pots.
http://www.donahuesclematis.com/greenhouse.html

o

Janet, they do but you have to live nearby to purchase them that way unless you want to plan a vacation to visit them! LOL Believe me, I have planned trips to pass by certain stores that I have wanted to visit in the past. I think however with Donahues I will settle for ordering the quart sized plants and growing them out myself.

o

That is still not a bad price!!..less than 12 bucks a piece..thanks hon...Jeanne

o

Koi Gardens is selling Donahue Clems on Ebay at 40% off, they're a little smaller but the root systems are great. I've purchased my last 6 Clems from them and I'm really pleased with how long the roots are. Some of them are selling for $5.99 and you can combine shipping for an extra .50 cents. Better hurry though, the sale is up in 5 days.

Linda

o

Linda

I had ordered 17 from Koi a few weeks ago, when they had just started the sale, but I didn't know it. But I only paid $5.99 as I was the only bidder on each.

They certainly were worth that & more.

Each clem after the first is only 50 cents more shipping charge. Were very well packed too.

AND, there is a 2 year guarantee. Beats Lowes & HD.

A few of the group 2s & Victoria wilted down, but I think (hope) they will revive, Dawn has already. Don't want to have to send any dead ones back in the Spring.

I also ordered 17 more last week & they came yesterday. This time they put each pot in a baggie before wrapping with newspaper and they came still moist & fresh even tho they sat at the PO all weekend.

Highly recommend this ebayer.

Marie

o

You sound like me, I am looking at the site now and may just order two more, seeing that there's only 5 days left and I can't resist the price. The problem is, which ones do I order. They have so many wonderful choices, it's hard!

o

I bet Koi Gardens is selling the smaller sized pots of clematis from Donahues that I purchased earlier this season at a local nursery. Would love for Marie or Linda to post a picture of the pots for confirmation purposes. It still sounds like a great deal though since they sound similar to what WalMart sells in the spring from Roseville for $4.99--I got quite a few clematis from them and grew them out before planting.

There might be a 2 year guarantee now but will the seller still be around in two years to honor the guarantee?? Just something to consider if you should have to take them up on it!

o

Goodness! How is it that you all have room for all of these plants? Do you have huge yards, or do you dig up old plants and replace them with newer ones?

o

Miguel The pots are smaller than the Roseville clems. A friend of mine ordered directly from Donahues in the Spring, and I traded her 2 of my year or more old potted duplicates in exchange for 2 small ones I didn't have. These pots were the same size as Kois, but the roots weren't coming out the bottoms then.

I think that Cindy at Hummingbird told me that Donahues have 2 sizes of liners for wholesale, and that she was most pleased with the larger one, but she didn't say anything about size of pot.

3 were blooming & 2 in bud when they arrived yesterday. I took pictures of each of the blooming ones and potted them & the budded ones in a larger pot but still in the tiny pot. I've found that if I transpot something just before or during blooming, it is more likely to wilt. All the others got potted, but when the ones still in small pots have finished for the year I will try to remember to take pics of the roots. I don't think they will make spectacular growth in the next few weeks. I just used a few trowelfuls of my homemade compost in the bottom of the gallon pot & filled around the small pot with garden soil with some compost etc mixed in with it.

Re "There might be a 2 year guarantee now but will the seller still be around in two years to honor the guarantee?? ", that was my first reaction when I read it on the site. But they seem to be affiliated with a landscape design company, and this seems a little more stable than a Ma or Pa's backyard garden seller.

Violetta -- I do have .7 acres, but about half of that is field, where I had been making small plots over the last 10 years or so to move the plants that grew too large for the space around the house, my main garden area. Last Fall and this Spring & Summer I have dug out & potted other perennials to move down to the field, which is down a slight slope, but flat (& rocky) at the bottom. This year I hardly even walked down in the field to look at what had been previously planted, to say nothing about unpotting the exiles. I think I am getting too old for my grandiose garden plans.

Another reason I buy a lot when I get a good price is that I lose a lot. This last Winter wasn't as bad as the previous 2, because I had all the pots either dug into the ground or in a larger tub with soil surrounding the inner pots in places where it was too difficult to dig.

But I uncovered them too soon, before we had 2 large April snowstorms. And it rained a lot in the Spring, so the soil got a bit waterlogged. I lose plants mostly due to root rot. I think some have been damaged by wireworms also, but I read that there is no effective remedy against them.

And as I have reached retirement age, but still have to keep working as my State pension will be too small unless I can get parttime jobs, I don't really know if I will have the money next year, or the ones after that, to buy more, so I might as well splurge now, while I still have a little discretionary cash and energy.

And I guess I am kind of greedy, too.

Marie in ME

o

Marie, interesting about the two sizes of liners that Donahues sells. Would still like to see a picture of the size pots that Koi Garden sells their clematis in for comparison purposes. If they are smaller than the ones that Roseville sells theirs in, it sounds like they may be the size of the smaller liners Donahues sells to retailers who pot them up to grow out. As I said earlier, I purchased a smaller Donaues pot from a local nursery this spring and it was definitely much smaller than the quartish sized pot I got from Donahues directly and the plant and root development did not compare to what I got via mail order either.

Be careful with any landscape company as in my area, they go in and out of business in the wink of an eye. All it takes to open one is the capital to purchase equipment and inventory--regardless if you have the experience or knowledge to operate one!

o

Bluestone sells Donahue's Clematis in 3.5" square pots. The pots are tiny, but they are stuffed with roots. If fact, the rootballs were just a little smaller than rootballs of Silverstar Vinery's Clematis (of those two I received from it). After 2-3 months they fill 1G pots easily. Very vigorous little guys...

o

Alina, I believe that is the size that Donahues sells directly to customers and what I received. The pots were really full of roots also especially Mrs. Robert Brydon. I didn't keep the pots they came in to measure and the trashman has already come.

o

Miguel,
The pots on your picture look larger than those I received from Bluestone. I think comparing with label's size gives this impression. I will try to post a picture with a pot and label to compare with yours tonight.

o

I had forgotten that I had ordered a few from the Bluestone sale. These were in the same sized pots as Koi Garden's ones.

The pot is just a little bit wider than the label.

I think Miguel's picture was taken after he had repotted them and were meant to show the tops of the plants.

Marie

o

Alina, the pictures I posted are after they have been potted up into one gallon sized pots. I meant to take a picture of what arrived, but in my haste, forgot to do so!

o

Oops, sorry, thought they arrived in these pots :~)

o

Linda, Eden -
Glad to hear about the quality of the Koi plants. I have been tempted to buy from them so many times, but hesitated, having had very mixed luck with ebay plants.
I too think the idea of posting photo reviews of purchases is a terrific idea. Now, if I can only figure out how to post pics...
Some vendors people might want to mention are Garden Crossings (plant quality equal to that of Brushwood, in my experience) and Joy Creek (no experience with them, but would like to hear from others).

o

My only experience with Joy Creek has been in person, I went three times last year. The first time I had great customer service, the second two, I did not.

Their plants are high quality but expensive.

I called ahead and was told a Clematis was in stock and drove out there (45 mins one way) and it was not in stock. I bought a different one but was annoyed.

The third time I went during their Clematis festival. Eager to talk to others about Clematis and to ask questions. They had a local author there and the local Clematis society. They were all talking to each other. No one would help me. I went up to them and asked a question about a specific Clematis and the local author actually turned her back on me and grabbed the employee and walked away from me. I had $100 in my pocket earmarked for Clematis purchases. I was not there just to talk. I left. I have not gone back.

o

Violetta, my yard is quite small. I do dig up plants to put in new ones. I also cram plants in together. All of my beds have trees, shrubs, perennials, vines, grasses and bulbs in them.

I have a lot of fence so has been relatively easy to squeeze in Clematis. I've also stuck a bunch between shrubs in the borders. I've got some growing up trees too.

Most are also young and not taking up much room yet.

o

BorS, I agree they are expensive for the size you get. Add in shipping and the cost really mounts. The few times I have ordered from Joy Creek the plants I received were all right but nothing stellar. I know a lot of people who have ordered from them and acted like they got huge plants but that hasn't been the case for me.

I too would have been annoyed if I had been told that they had a clematis and then driven there only to find out that they didn't. The last experience there that you had was just unjustifiable. Did you say anything to the owners as I am sure that they would have been shocked to hear of your treatment? No owner would want to hear that their potential customers had been treated that way!

o

Hi,

I have taken four photos of recent clematis arrivals (from Brushwood, Silver Star, and Chalk Hill) and want to post the images with my impressions. But I just got a digital camera (late bloomer) and haven't done this before. I've opened an account on Photobucket, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. I'm clicking the "img" line under the picture in Photobucket, then returning to this forum and right-clicking and pasting that into my message. I don't think you'll see these pictures (but I'm going to give you a guided tour if you just scroll down past the images!); maybe some kind soul can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

[IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff56/butterpat_bucket/9 26 07 clematis plantings/IMG_0163.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff56/butterpat_bucket/9 26 07 clematis plantings/IMG_0170.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff56/butterpat_bucket/9 26 07 clematis plantings/IMG_0167.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff56/butterpat_bucket/9 26 07 clematis plantings/IMG_0166.jpg[/IMG]

Okay, here are my impressions:

Brushwood: I got Chatsworth and Arabella (no picture of Arabella). I think Brushwood has gotten better in each of the past two seasons. These two plants were great, the best of the lot, with no threat of the whole plants falling apart in your hands.

Silver Vine: In the spring I got Kermesina and Fairydust from Debbie and they were fabulous. I just got Palette and Madame Julia Correvon, and they were certainly less bulky than the spring plants. Palette is still a fine specimen. Julia Correvon is more wispy than I would have liked.

And Chalk Hill -- from whom I have always received good plants -- sent the scariest plant (Venosa Violacea). I just now read the dialog in another stream about the new CH medium. The plant certainly was odd looking and I wasn't expecting it. I don't usually get help on this project, but fortunately I had asked the guy who mows my lawn to help me put the clemmies in and transplant some shrubs that day, so there were four hands to cradle and guide the CH plant into its hole. So I suspect it will be okay, but was happy for the help.

Hope this helps!

Pat

o

Pat, copy the HTML Tag line and then paste it here. It should be the 3rd line down under your photo.

Carol

o

You posted using UBB code rather than HTML code.

Look for the < at the beginning of the code.

o
Nope

I didn't say anything. I should have, but I was too upset.

o

Thanks for the guidance. Here goes, using HTML code:

I'm lighting a candle.

My preview message shows this didn't work. You didn't even get the code this time.

Pat

o

Pat, I use Photobucket and have for a long time and have never had an issue posting pictures from them. On my Photobucket account, if you click in the box right beside where it says HTML code underneath your picture, it highlights the code and a little sign pops up that says copied. Then if you flip back to the message you are writing here on GW and right click your mouse and choose paste, it will put the code into your message. It will look something like what follows but you won't have the ** between the < and the img at the first of the line. I put that in there so the code would stay up so you could see what it looks like. If I take those ** out, when I click preview, it shows the picture.

Code with the **
<**img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/nckvilledude/clematis 07/SACvs.Virginiana002.jpg">

Picture that will show up when I take the ** out of the above code.

Look forward to seeing your pictures.

o
re:unhappy too

I would have been upset also BorS. I am sure the owners would have been too if they had known what happened!

o

Here are Butterclem's pictures:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

That thread will be really helpful. I will take a picture of Songsparrow's Clematis I received recently and post it here this weekend.

o

Wow, BorS, I would have been extremely annoyed. I worked in the sales world for many years and have high expectations for the customer service that should be offered to every customer no matter the budget.

I would make certain to mention it to them. If they are worth their salt they will offer you some type of compensation to soothe you and make your next shopping experience much more pleasant. If you don't bring it up, they have no chance to improve.

Please bring it to their attention. Ask for the owner. If you know the owner's name, ask for them specifically. If it were my store/garden center, I would want to know. I would address the issue with employees and not offer to have that author back again.

o

Nckvilledudes, I'm doing precisely what you describe! And, Alina, I can't see my pictures in your message, and I gather I should.

I did a search and found that Nckvilledudes, obviously an old hand at this, was using Photobucket and a few things about it; then I subscribed to PB. I'm going to repeat the process again here -- go to Photobucket, click on the HTML code and get the message that it copied, then return to this draft message, right click and copy. This time, I'm also going to add the direct link. Here goes:

After viewing preview: Well, it still didn't work, but the link takes you directly to the four pictures I wanted you to see. I guess that's progress.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

o

These problems could be browser dependent. I can see pictures I posted in the Internet Explorer and Firefox though. Strange.
When your return to the draft message, do right click and PASTE, not copy. Alternatively, click once at the draft message window where you want to paste your link and press cntl+v simultaneously.

Your link to the Photobucket works fine though. Just in case you will want to post more pictures...

o

Wow, if you can't see the pictures that Alina posted something is up on your end, possibly the browser. They show up for me just fine. Alina is also correct in pointing out that you should right click and paste when you want to put the HTML code into your email posting and not copy. Ctrl V also is a way to paste it.

I tried originally going to Photobucket and searching for your albums as I was going to try and paste the code in my original email. However it wouldn't let me gain access to your account that way. Using your Photobucket link above, I was able to copy a picture but the code is very different from the way that it shows up in mine. Perhaps this is the way that it shows up if you are not the owner of the account. Regardless of that, the picture still shows up when I copy and paste the code. Here is one I copied.

o

I meant to say paste, not copy. But I actually was doing it the way that appears to be correct.

Nckvilledudes, I can't see your pix (or rather your pix of my pix) either! This is maddening. I went into the tools menu and checked my internet options, and I am enabling virtually every multimedia option. I suppose I'll need to have "my techie" visit. Or is their an option for anything simpler than Photobucket -- which certainly seems simple?

Pat

o

You may need to activate your ActiveX Options through the internet options. At the top of your browser Click on Tools. Then click on Internet Options. Click on Security. Find the Custom Level Button. Click on Custom. Then find ActiveX controls. Click on Enable ActiveX to allow previously unabled programs without prompting. This may help you. Then Apply. I hope that this will help you out. If not, then it may be that you need to change your security setting to moderate. Also, check in the advanced category of internet options to make sure the box for viewing pictures is checked with a green check mark.

Tracy

o

I've followed up on all of Tracyvine's suggestions:
-- enabled ActiveX controls
-- Even though I had already designated this forum as a safe site and have my safe sites set for a low security setting, I went the extra mile and reset the entire internet to moderate.
-- I rechecked to make sure the box for viewing pictures is checked.

Having done all this, I still can't see any of the pictures posted in this stream except the test one that Nckvlledudes posted from his Photobucket. My pictures and Alina's simply aren't there.

I'll keep looking for a solution. Thanks to all for your help.

o

Pat,

I am sorry none of the above worked. I am now at a loss. If all else fails, maybe some of these generous GW members wouldn't mind emailing pictures to you upon request.

Best of Luck,
Tracy

o

Quite confounding but it does seem that it is something on your end Pat since I can post your pictures and you still can't see them. Tracy offered great advice but it sounds like you need some advanced computer help to figure out what is going on.

My Brushwood order arrived today. Will post pictures on Saturday after taking them!

o
RE: Brushwood Plants

This morning I got up and took pictures of the plants and root systems on the plants I got from Dan at Brushwood. Here they are!

I really like the fact that the plants can be removed from their pots and the root balls stay intact. This allows for easy transport to the digging hole and insertion. I do tend to untangle and break up the lower roots a bit prior to planting, but it is at my discretion to do so and I appreciate that ability. All four are now safely in their planting spots in the garden!

o

Are those 4" pots? Nice growth and roots.

o

Yes, those look just like the two plants I received from Brushwood and posted, though, alas, they can be seen at this point only by those who clicked on my Photobucket link. Still working on that.

But I really like the Brushwood stock.

o

I also like when the rootball stays intact. I think that my Silverstar Clems still can not catch up with all others (including smaller ones from Bluestone/Donahue's) because the potting mixture just fell off when I unpacked them.

Butterclem,
The HTML code on this page with pictures is very plain and straightforward, so security scripts should not attack it.
I have another idea: could it be that you have a slow connection? Pictures take a lot of time to load. Try to open this page and let it stay opened for several minutes. It might help.

o

Excellent Roots Nckvilledudes! Very nice healthy plants! What is the one on the far right? Interesting foliage.

o

Alina, I have a cable connection and it's superfast. I don't have any problems with video, animation, or anything else on any other website. And I've had this page open all day in a tabbed browser hoping someone would post the "miracle cure." Very frustrating! But thanks for the idea.

o

BorS, the pots measure 4 X 4 square at the top and the overall height of the pot is 5 inches. Here's a picture.

Alina, I haven't had an issue with much of the soil falling off of the clematis from Silver Star Vinery in the past. They are sent out of pots and therefore will get somewhat shaken up more in transit so will never be as intact as ones that come in a pot with some sort of protection to prevent the soil from falling out of the tops of their pots. I have two coming this fall so will post pictures of them when they arrive.

I also doubt that they won't catch up with the smaller clematis from other sources. Larger plants in my estimation can take longer to get established, but when they do, they typically outperform smaller plants. Patience is key with clematis as they aren't and shouldn't be conceived of being instant gratification plants.

Tracy, the one to the far right is clematis socialis.

o

Yesterday I transpotted the Royalty I got from Koi Gardens in bloom last Monday, after the flower it came with blew off in the wind.

Here is the plant, with the smaller pot inside a larger pot with plain soil to hold it upright.

Small pot removed from larger. There are some white tipped new growth that you can't see very well in the pic.

This is roots after I cut off the original pot.

I think today is the last day of the Koi Garden sale. But there are some others for more than the sale price of $5.39 available.

This is my first try at using Photobucket.

Marie in ME

o

Hi guys, I just got four from Koi this week on eBay and I was impressed. They were $5.39, each and one was $6.39. Total with shipping for four really nice clems was $34.20. The more expensive was Galore, Festoon Series. (Decided to plant Galore with Alchymist. Does anyone have any of these Festoon Series? Took a chance and am going to try it.) I also got Proteus, MultiBlue and Duchess of Edinburgh. Mine were exactly like Marie's above. Proteus and MultiBlue even have a few flowers on them. The paperwork that came with them said Donahues. I had to cut the plastic off too. The roots were all popping out. I untangled the roots and loosened them up a bit, and planted them. I planted a ton of bulbs too. We've had a nice little storm all weekend. Lots of light rain. I love getting stuff in the ground in Fall. :o)

Adrienne

o

What a great thread!

Pat, I was able to see all of your pics. Are we the only ones who have Palette? I have three of them that I got earlier this year. It will be interesting to compare our experiences with it. My Julia Correvon exploded with growth and blooms this year, but the Palettes haven't done much. Not one bloom and very little height, but they definitely look healthy, so I'm hoping for more next year (or the one after).

If my sick Asao doesn't make it I'm going to have a ton of fun deciding where to order from because of this thread! Thanks for starting it Miguel!

(Am I a terrible person for having a small little part of me that hopes the Asao isn't going to pull through? I feel terribly guilty...)

o

Violetta, you are the only one who can see my pictures! How can that be, I wonder? Are you seeing them embedded in the message itself? Or did you click on the link?

I'm sad to hear of your experience with Palette. Was this their first year? I won't worry unless and until they don't do anything the second year. Perhaps you'll have a banner year in 2008.

Pat

o

Yes, Pat, in the messages where people posted them. I got the impression that others were able to see them too?

Yes, this was the Pallette's first year, which is why I'm not terribly concerned that they didn't do much. We'll see what happens next year. :0)

o

I can see the pictures of Pat's that I posted and that Alina posted.

Violetta, I thought that posting pictures of actual clematis that we had purchased would be a worthwhile endeavor. And no, I don't think that you are bad for thinking that if Asao doesn't make it, you can try Palette.

Marie, thanks for posting the pictures of the clematis and pot from Koi Gardens. I hope that you tried teasing the roots apart before potting up. That one picture you posted shows a plant that should have been potted up a while ago as it looks rootbound to me. I always try teasing the roots apart on most plants that are no where as tangled as the one from Koi Garden.

o

I got my 4 Clematis from Dan at Brushwood Friday and as usual they are wonderful and nicely rooted..would share pics but they look just like Miguels..so I shan't bore you with repeat pics of great clematis from a wonderful grower like Dan!!..
Marie..THOSE ROOTS look awesome for what some might call "Liner plants"..I most definitely will check them out!!..thanks for sharing...Jeanne

o

I would cut all those tangled roots at the bottom of the pot off. They won't straighten out and can keep growing around and make the plant rootbound even in the ground.

o

My order of three clematis from Chalk Hill arrived yesterday about 30 minutes before I left for work. Just enough time to get them unpotted and given a good drink of water. This morning was planting time for the three of them.

The following two pictures show the new potting media and how it can fall apart when you unpot the clematis from their shipping containers. I can imagine that someone new to gardening and clematis might be somewhat surprised when the soil falls away from the root balls like it did for these three. Scooping the roots and remaining soil up and planting would have been easier if I had someone to help me but I did it solo.

Here is a picture of the potting media that fell away from all three clematis. Supposedly this won't hurt and will help the clematis get better established in the ground. Ultimately time will tell but I for one would prefer that the plant and the potting media held together better than it did.

o

Last up are plants from Silver Star Vinery. They arrived today and the postal delivery person left the box propped up against the wall of the garage in full sun even though the main garage door was wide open and they could have left them in the shade of the garage. And they wonder why the postal service has such a bad reputation!! Montana Broughton Star and Radiance arrived.

Of the two Broughton Star was the biggest and the root ball held intact--so much so that I just plopped it into a 1 gallon sized pot and backfilled it with potting mixture until I can decide where and when I am going to plant it. There was probably 3 feet of vines still attached to the plant which I promptly trimmed back severely.

Radiance's root ball wasn't as fully developed as Broughton Star and having the package sit in the full sun probably didn't help with the soil holding tightly to the rootball. There was still however a sizeable amount of soil still attached to the root ball. Quite a bit of the top growth had been trimmed back which made planting it much easier. That baby got planted right away since I knew where it was going to go.

o

Chalk Hills suggestion of bare rooting clematis has merit to it. I've read before that rotting clematis roots can be found in the original soil from the pot. If found when relocating the plant, the rotted roots should be cut away.

o

Never had an issue with rotting roots on clematis before Janet and I am well over 120 clematis strong.

o
RE addendum

Meant to also add two additional points: 1)Chalk Hill's suggestion of washing soil away from the root ball and trimming off dead roots comes from the book by Magnus Johnson which I have. In my copy of the book, Johnson recommends doing so especially for LFH , and 2)any nursery can do what it wants as far as potting media, but the consumer who is used to expecting a certain type of media, has the right to know when a nursery has changed its cultural practices so they can decide if they want plants that are going to have the media fall away from the root system. You would think someone who thinks so strongly that this is a good thing would advertise as such, rather than have someone find out about it only after ordering and receiving plants that are planted in a media that is so different from what has previously been used and what customers are expecting.

o

I received my 3 clematis plants from Koi Gardens yesterday, and want to echo what everyone else has said about how large and well rooted they are, especially for the price. Thanks to all who posted about this - I had looked at them on Ebay, but decided not to order until I read the good reports here. Now I just have to find a place for them!

o

Clematis plants I just received:

From Garden Crossing:

They were in 5" pots. Very nice babies.

Clematis from Songsparrow:

The pot was almost identical to Garden Crossing's one, but the plant was extremely root bound. When I untangled roots the rootball did not fit into 2 Gallon pot, so I had to plant it in 18"X18" container.

Sorry about dates on the pictures - both pictures were taken today, October 4th.

o

Wow Alina. That root ball from Song Sparrow looks huge and looks larger than the ones from Garden Crossings. Must just be the angle of the shot. Hope you untangled those roots as it looks extremely root bound. One thing I have heard is that the shipping of clematis from Song Sparrow is high due to all the soil in the pots--in your case it might be the roots in the pots. How do you compare the shipping charges for the plant from Song Sparrow to the charges from Garden's Crossings? I have only ordered one plant from Garden Crossings before, Tie Dye, which I love, but can't remember the cost to have it shipped.

o

Miguel,
Garden Crossing is having sale with flat shipping cost of $5.99 for all orders. Songsparrow is very expensive both for plants and shipping. I bought very rare Rhododendron and Hydrangea there. I decided to add a Clematis only because shipping is $22 for 1-3 plants. On the other hand, their method of packing is absolutely superb.
As I said, the root ball of Songsparrow's Clematis did not fit into 2G pot when I untangled roots. It was a little larger than those I received from Silver Star. Imagine 30+ thick roots about 1-1.5' each... Something like this.

o

Wow, the shipping special from Garden Crossings sounds superb.

I haven't ordered clematis from Song Sparrow but did order 3 peonies from them a couple of years ago. Since the plants were essentially the tubers only, the shipping wasn't anything outrageous.

Thanks for the info.

o

Garden Crossings has some Clematis on sale too. I haven't decided if I need to order any yet but Tie Dye is one of them if anyone else wants to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tie Dye

o

"Tie Dye" is a great clematis..I got mine from Gardencrossings as well a couple years ago..a MUST have in anyone'e garden..I feel the same way about "Venosa Violacea"..Hey Miguel..I got my catalogue today from "Donahue's" ...what deliciously gorgeous pics...can one order online or must you mail in the order or call it in?...They have one in there that is new to me "Kingfisher"....an Evison clematis..anyone familiar with it?...Jeanne

o

Jeanne, too funny that you mention Venosa Violacea. I succumbed and placed an order from Koi Gardens, and one of the ones I got was Venosa Violacea. I fell in love with the picture of the bloom, without knowing much about it otherwise. How nice to see that you recommend it!

The other one I got was Dr Ruppel. Fell in love with that picture also.

I also bought some tulip bulbs. They have a gorgeous selection! Jerome emailed me to let me know that my bulbs were going to take a little longer, and let me change my mind about which bulbs I wanted. He was extremely pleasant.

o

Jeanne, I believe you can call and place an order but the two times I have purchased from them I have used the form in the catalog to purchase the clematis. I have called and talked to the people working their phones and they were very helpful. I saw Kingfisher in the catalog but didn't order it. I know I get overly excited each fall and spring and order way too much and then curse when I have to water as much as I had to this summer with it being so dry--still is as of now. My last water bill was out of the sky--the highest that it has ever been.

o

You guys have me drooling over all these sales. How I wish GardenCrossing and others shipped to Canada. Would have loved to get Tie Dye... and Betty Corning, and Huldine.....

o

Joan, can't help you with the ones you want but I can send seeds of some of the native US species clematis and a few others if you want. Let me know and I can fix a package of seeds to send you!

o

About a month ago when I was purchasing a Clematis off the web from Koi Garden, I had asked them if they would switch a Clematis order for me, one for the other at the same price, but I was told that they never received the email or received it too late, and would be more then happy to send me the other Clematis I wanted free of charge. I wrote back telling them that I had purchased the other and if they wanted to send me a Clematis, then how about either the Bonanza or Galore from the Festoon Series.

I hadn't heard anything back from them and thought that was the end of it but yesterday an order came in the mail which contained a Bonanza and a Galore and they both looked great with a lot of healthy growth and a good root system. I thought that this was worth mentioning, I thought it was a wonderful gesture; it's hard to find good customer service these days!

Now I've got to find two more spots in my yard!

o

Good info to know Linda. That was very nice of Koi Gardens! I am sure you can find a spot for the both of them somewhere.

o

Hello All! My first post on this forum and although this thread is already rather long, I thought I'd chime in to thank you all for the great information, photos, and advice! I ended up buying 23 clematis from Koi Gardens during their sale - which, btw, is apparently still going on -- yes, I did say 23! It's an obsession now! I've always been a fan of clematis but was always limited to what was available locally, i.e., rather limited, and so I am now in Clematis heaven! All of them look really good, nice growth, wonderful roots although I had a heck of a time cutting those tiny pots away -- AND, they sent me two extras -- Perrin's Pride and Mrs. N. Thompson -- because they were "undersized". I've definitely seen worse at some of the local nurseries and box stores. They are acclimating right now to their gallon pots and expect that they will put on one heck of a show next year -- from spring through fall! Yay! I'll definitely go back to Koi Gardens!

Thanks again to all of you for the great information!

Yasmin

o

Glad to welcome you to the wonderful world of clematis!

o

About how long does it usually take to receive orders from these retailers? Just curious.

o

Some good news re the new plants we've all received from Chalk Hill. I just checked all my new plantings. The Venosa Violacea I received from Chalk Hill, and about which I was somewhat anxious because it fell apart on me a bit during planting, is doing well. There was only one visible stem when I planted it, and that stem and its leaves have turned brown. I assume I should prune them back. But a new second stem (already there but invisible, I'd guess) has started and is almost a foot tall! I will definitely trim it back, but it certainly looks healthy.

Hopefully, we will all have good news from our Chalk Hill plants.

Pat

o

Chalk Hills has an excellent reputation, so I doubt you have anything to worry about. I wouldn't be surprised if more nurseries will switch to a similar potting medium in the future.

o

Good news Pat. Mine are still there sitting as I planted them. Don't worry about top growth at this point. The clematis should be concentrating on root development at this type of year and the top growth will follow in subsequent years.

o
RE:typo again

Meant to type time of year and not type of year.

o

Hello,

I just received my order for 6 clematis from Koi Garden Club as well. I received Westerplatte, Viticella Plena Elegans, Texensis Trevor Lawrence, Texensis Princess Diana, MME Baron Veillard, and Roguchi. All travelled beautifully. Full healthy root systems, definitely overgrown in their pots but will do very well I think. One note I would like to add about Koi Garden Club since they are an ebay seller offering a 2 year guarantee is that not only do they include their contact information and address they also state on the invoice to file the packing slip for future reference to assist in processing the replacement of any plants. That gives me a bit more confidence in them and their willingness to stand by their offer.

Tracy

o

Good to hear Tracy. We expect pictures of blooms next year!

o

Absolutely! I am now trying to decide which one to start growing up my double white blooming lilac tree. Wink, wink, any suggestions?

Tracy

o

The sky is the limit Tracy. Don't know what you have and what you don't have clematis-wise so don't have a clue where to begin with the suggestions! You know purple is my favorite though!!

o

These are what I just got in:
Westerplatte, Viticella Plena Elegans, Texensis Trevor Lawrence, Texensis Princess Diana, MME Baron Veillard, and Roguchi

Tracy

o
Here are the choices

These are what I just got in:
Westerplatte, Viticella Plena Elegans, Texensis Trevor Lawrence, Texensis Princess Diana, MME Baron Veillard, and Roguchi

Tracy

o

I ordered 4 clematis from Koi Garden Club. They arrived about 2 weeks ago. I was thrilled with the plants and the root ball on all were very healthy. I have 4 coming from Chalk Hill that should be arriving Monday. Two Omoshiro's, Crystal Fountain and Arctic Queen. Will update when they arrive.
Arlene

o

Arlene,
How did you order Omoshiro??? They sold them out a couple of months ago. Did you order them early?

Alina.

o

Alina, I ordered mine in June or July once they updated for the fall. I received an email two weeks ago from Murray reading that Omoshiro and Artic Queen weren't as far along as they hoped and they wanted to credit my credit card. I called and asked if they could hold onto them until Spring 2008 and they said they would. I than decided that I could grow them out here just as well and left a message to that effect and the next thing I know I received notification that they had been shipped. I was afraid it would get away from me again and they stated they don't know when or if they will receive more. So now it's a waiting game to see what they look like.
Arlene

o

That is nice for you Arlene! I am going to order Omoshiro next spring if they will have it. I think Chalk Hill is the only mail order company that sells it.
Good luck with your new babies!

o

Great choices Tracy. Roguchi can be a mildew magnet so you might want to start proactive spraying for it early on. I don't have Sir Lawrence Trevor but if it is anything like the others in that texensis hybrid group, watch for mildew on it also. Duchess of Albany is the only texensis hybrid that doesn't get mildew for me. Mildew proclivities can vary from garden to garden though so you might not have an issue with it on either of the two I mentioned.

Alina, the cardinal rule for getting the clematis you want is to order them as soon as your favorite supplier has updated their website with their new offerings. You know what they say about those that hesitate! LOL

o

Thank you for the heads up on the mildew proclivity. I will treat them preventatively, I know my climate is supposed to be a bit safer for them regarding this issue, however, the climate seems to be quite different from years past. Thank you once again for the advice.
Tracy

o

No problem Tracy!

o

It's going to be so exciting when Spring comes around to see how all these Clematis' are going to do. I'm sure that they'll all do well. I'm really looking forward to seeing photos from everyone.

My one concern is with my Montana rubens, I love this Clematis but being in zone 5 could prove to be detrimental to this vine. I took your advice Miguel and moved it to a south facing position up against a fence, so I'm hoping with all my heart that this will protect it somewhat. I do not have the option of planting it up against my house. Right now it's growing very well, lots of redish, bronze and green leaves. Maybe we'll have another mild winter, fingers crossed!

o

Good luck Linda. I hope you can get it to work out for you and that global warming works in your favor!

o

Received my order from Koi Gardens. I'll take some pics tomorrow - it's too cold and crappy out to go do it now! I got Venosa Violacea and Dr Ruppel, but they included Inspiration, too... just to be nice, maybe? The plants look okay. A few brown crispy leaves, but I have a feeling I shouldn't be worried about that, right?

o

Violetta, at this point in the season I wouldn't worry about a few crispy leaves. A friend in Wilmington, NC who has been in contact with Jerome at Koi Gardens said that they will continue sending plants until the first week or so of November and will then have to cover their plants. They have some special that if you contact them directly they will sell their clematis for $5 a piece. They have quite an extensive list---

By the way, Jerome sent me the list of all his available clematis - till the end of the first week of November when they must cover their plants. Feel free to post it with the $5 offer if you want, or forward it to those who might be interested on the clematis forum - I still cannot log in there. Three of the Koi's clemtis are blooming Made me happy!

Here is the list...
Alabast
Alionushka
Allanah
(I can see my breath as I type...)
Alpina Blue Dancer
Alpina Pink Flamingo
Anna-Louise
Arabella
Asao
Ascotiensis
Belle of Woking
Beth Currie
Blue Ravine
Bonanza
Cirrhosa Freckles
Clair de Lune
Comtesse de Bouchard
Daniel Deronda
Dawn
Dr. Ruppel
Duchess of Edinburgh
Durandii
Edouard DesFosse
Elsa Spath
Ernest Markham
Fargesioides
Galore
General Sikorski
Gillian Blades
Gypsy Queen
Hagley Hybrid
Haku Ookan
Henryi
Huldine
Hyde Hall
Ice Blue
Inspiration
Integrifolia
Jackmanii
Jackmanii Superba
John Paul II
John Warren
Ken Donson
King Edward VII
Lady Betty Balfour
Lanuginosa candida
Liberation
Lincoln Star
Louise Rowe
Macropetala Blue
Marie Boisselot
Masquerade
Miss Bateman
MME Baron Veillard
MME Eduoard Andre
Montana Elizabeth
Montana Grandiflora
Montana Mayleen
Mrs. Cholmondeley
Mrs. George Jackman
Mrs. James Mason
Mrs. N Thompson (really small)
Mrs. Robert Brydon
Multi-Blue
Natascha
Nelly Moser
Perle D'Azur
Perrins Pride
Petit Faucon
Piilu
Prince Charles
Proteus
Rhapsody
Richard Pennell
Rooguchi/Roguchi
Rouge Cardinal
Royal Velvet
Royalty
Ruby Glow
Silver Moon
Snow Queen
Special Occasion
Sugar Candy
Texensis Duchess of Albany
Texensis Etoile Rose
Texensis Gravetye Beauty
Texensis Pagoda
Texensis Sir Trevor Lawrence
The President
Triternata Rubromarginata
Twilight
Victor Hugo
Victoria
Ville de Lyon
Vino
Viticella Abundance
Vit. Alba Luxurians
Vit. Carmencita
Vit. Etoile Violette
Vit. Polish Spirit
Vit. Purpurea Plena Elegans
Vit. Royal Velours
Vit. Venosa Violacea
Voluceau
Wada's Primrose
Warsaw Nike
Westerplatte (might be sold out)
Will Goodwin

o

Miguel..how funny hon..I just emailed the same email to you!!..Jeanne

o

I was naughty and ordered:
Ascotiensis
Bonanza
Victoria
Victor Hugo
Royalty
Perrin's Pride
Will share pics after they arrive..those guys Best come this Monday to remove the sod for my new beds!!
does this obsession ever end??

o

Tempting.....but I have 15 clematis sitting on the deck right now waiting to be planted :-)

Carol

o

Guess they will have to wait for a while Carol. Been raining here for two days!! Yeah!!! Hope you are getting the same.

o

Today is sunny and cool. Beautiful. We got an inch of much needed rain over the past two days. Nice slow rain that kind of came and went but managed to drop a decent amount! It was supposed to rain again today but they were wrong. No matter, I am happy that we got any at all. It usually misses us. I am so pleased that you have rain too!

Carol

o

Rain! That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you guys!

o

Ecstatic here Violetta. It has been raining off and on for two days now and I just checked the rain gauge which I have not checked since it started--5 inches so far! Yeah!! Carol, it looks like it is headed your way as it winds down later today and tomorrow here.

o

Congratulations on the RAIN! I am so happy for you guys! 5 inches? Excellent news! I hope it keeps going!

Tracy

o

Yes, the rain has been great! And way past time too!
I have already rec'd 4 clems from Koi Garden (which was mentioned over on the rose forum- I had not heard of it before). My plants all arrived in good condition, plenty of roots, and long vines- over 3 ft on 3 of them. I got Allanah, Haku Ookan, Jackmanii Superba, and Clair de lune. Then the 5.00 sale was announced, and I emailed Jerome w/ several more and asked to wait until the beginning of next wk to formally order them (I had to be out of town most of this wk.). He responded back promptly and said that was fine. So far, excellent customer service, and plants in good condition, and NO styrofoam to have to take to the local pkg co. to get rid of! Looks like a winner. Brandy

o

Thanks Tracy. I am most happy!

Brandy, glad you got it too! I agree about the past time part most certainly. I was tempted by Koi Gardens $5.00 offer but decided to hold off. I have several waiting to plant next spring and am planning on starting quite a few from seed. Of course, that is a long term project considering how long some take to germinate.

o

Well what's a few more clematis to plant. I went alittle crazy and ordered
Duchess of Edinburgh
Henryi
Nelly Moser
Dr. Ruppel
Liberation
Miss Bateman
Blue Ravine
Belle of Woking
Marie Boisselot
Vit. Purpurea Plena Elegans
Ernest Markham
Hagley Hybrid
Lady Betty Balfour
Rhapsody
The President
It's a sickness!!!
Arlene

o

My new ones arrived this wk- Arabella, Ascotiensis, Clair de lune, Pele d'Azur, V. Purpurea P. Elegans, Royal Velvet, Voluceau, and Etoile Violette. The smallest of the group is Clair dl, and I guess that's why he sent two of them but only charged me for one. Roots look good on all of them, but I have not potted them up yet. That has been added to my list of things to do this wkend (before the roses I ordered arrive next wk!). Brandy
BTW, I think you enabled me into some of these, ncville, that was earlier in the yr when I looked at your pics.

o

Brandy--guilty as charged. Is frost in your forecast early next week? Perhaps you are further east enough not to have to worry about that yet! I am glad to see it come after this long dry summer and fall we have had!

o

"Believe me, I have planned trips to pass by certain stores that I have wanted to visit in the past. I think however with Donahues I will settle for ordering the quart sized plants and growing them out myself."

Hey, Miguel, a visit to MN in the early summer/mid summer is great, warm temps during the days, cooling off in the evenings. After living in St. Louis for 8 years I moved back to MN and was frequently heard to say "What a beautiful evening" that first year back. We also have a wonderful arboretum here. So, come on up!

I miss the early springs of St. Louis as it doesn't really get springy and beautiful in MN until May. But, oh, those cool summer nights almost make up for the late spring.

I visted Donahues last April during their spring open house and bought several gallon pots of clematis. Have also ordered from them via mail with good results.

Bobbie

o

Bobbie, have never visited your neck of the woods but one day might get up that way. That type of midsummer weather, i.e. warm days and cool nights, is my kind of weather over the hot humid sticky summer days and nights we tend to get.

o

Miguel, we can get some hot sticky days and nights but they are generally in the dog days of August or early September during the state fair which is a big event here.

I have been e-mailing with Jerome from Koi Gardens. Didn't realize he was here in MN and not too far from me so I will be picking up my clematis from him next spring. Saving on shipping will allow me to get a couple more.

So, you could visit Donahue's, Koi Gardens, the MN arboretum, drive up north along Lake Superior and have a good vacation. If you like theatre Minneapolis is well known for its great variety.

Let me know if you decide to come this way. Hopefully, in a couple of years my new plantings along the neighbor's fence will be in full bloom so you could see them. But don't wait too many years as we are getting near retirement and thinking of moving somewhere warm in the winter.

Bobbie

o

Where in Minnesota? Actually, I just checked and it's the county west of whatever county Hastings is in - is that correct?

Will he be open to the general public?

o

I don't know if Koi Gardens is open to the public. Jerome lives in the Mpls area and has the plants at a farm south of Lakeville. I am going to meet him to get my clematis and am not going to the growing location.

I overstepped suggesting that Miguel could visit Koi Gardens. Thought he and Jermone might arrange a private visit. Sorry.

o

LOL! No, you didn't overstep! We are always available for a private tour, by appointment, or during our special plant sales.

The plants are kept in a private nursery on a farm. Some of the plants are mine, some belong to Avant Gardens of MN, a water feature landscape company in the Twin Cities area (not to be confused with the east coast greenhouse company of the same name.)

We have weekend plant sales many times throughout the growing season, so if you are in the area and want to know when these sales are, please sign up in the Spam-Free Email Newsletter box on my clematis page.

Thank you again all! I'm off to ship out the first batch of plants as the new owner of KGC. Jerome

o

Bobbie, I am sure you get some hot sticky days but down here it goes on for months. I like summer the least of all the seasons. I like cooler weather although I am not sure if I could take your winters. I quite understand if you might want to retire to a place that has warmer winters although you might regret the summers! LOL My dream life would include a place up north for the spring, summer, and fall, and a place in the south for the winter. Your areas sounds like a great place to visit and I can't rule it out. The last three years the major vacation has been cruises in the Caribbean during the mid-fall and I greatly have enjoyed all three including the jewelry purchases that I have made on all three voyages.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here