Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nckvilledudes

First Fall Orders Arriving

nckvilledudes
16 years ago

I received the first of several orders of clematis I have ordered for fall delivery on Friday. The first to arrive was from Donahue's where I ordered Prince Charles, Carmencita, Royal Velours, and Mrs. Robert Brydon. I should have taken shots of the root systems on the plants I received but I didn't have the camera with me at the time and was anxious to get them potted up.

All of the plants arrived in 2 1/2 to 3 inch pots that were about quart sized and all had really good root systems. The Mrs. Robert Brydon probably could have been directly planted in the ground but since it is back to being hot and still dry here I decided that all four would be potted up and grown out until spring and then planted.

I must say that I was really impressed with what I got from Donahues this year. I have ordered from them in the past and in fact, my first two viticellas--Madame Julia Correvon and Purpurea Plena Elegans, were ordered from them many years ago. I can't quite remember what sized pots they came in back then but I don't remember them being as mature as the ones that I got this year or in as big a pot.

Earlier this season I purchased a Donahues clematis from a local garden center and what they were selling were plants in 1 to 1 1/2 inch sized pots-typically called liners and smaller plants that are typically what the big suppliers buy and pot up and grow out prior to selling. That little plant cost me $10 plus tax. The ones that I ordered from Donahues this fall were much larger plants, in larger pots, and the cost for the four of them with shipping was $47.00. Here is a picture of the four plants.

{{gwi:622321}}

Perhaps it would be a good idea for us in the future to pictorial display our purchases (with root systems showing if possible-sorry the excitement made me pot up without getting pictures) and our general costs and impressions of our plant purchases. This will help document who is selling what, at what price, and the condition of the plants we received.

Comments (122)

• violetta1976
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jeanne, too funny that you mention Venosa Violacea. I succumbed and placed an order from Koi Gardens, and one of the ones I got was Venosa Violacea. I fell in love with the picture of the bloom, without knowing much about it otherwise. How nice to see that you recommend it!

The other one I got was Dr Ruppel. Fell in love with that picture also.

I also bought some tulip bulbs. They have a gorgeous selection! Jerome emailed me to let me know that my bulbs were going to take a little longer, and let me change my mind about which bulbs I wanted. He was extremely pleasant.

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jeanne, I believe you can call and place an order but the two times I have purchased from them I have used the form in the catalog to purchase the clematis. I have called and talked to the people working their phones and they were very helpful. I saw Kingfisher in the catalog but didn't order it. I know I get overly excited each fall and spring and order way too much and then curse when I have to water as much as I had to this summer with it being so dry--still is as of now. My last water bill was out of the sky--the highest that it has ever been.

• Joan Dupuis
    16 years ago

You guys have me drooling over all these sales. How I wish GardenCrossing and others shipped to Canada. Would have loved to get Tie Dye... and Betty Corning, and Huldine.....

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Joan, can't help you with the ones you want but I can send seeds of some of the native US species clematis and a few others if you want. Let me know and I can fix a package of seeds to send you!

• LindaMA
    16 years ago

About a month ago when I was purchasing a Clematis off the web from Koi Garden, I had asked them if they would switch a Clematis order for me, one for the other at the same price, but I was told that they never received the email or received it too late, and would be more then happy to send me the other Clematis I wanted free of charge. I wrote back telling them that I had purchased the other and if they wanted to send me a Clematis, then how about either the Bonanza or Galore from the Festoon Series.

I hadn't heard anything back from them and thought that was the end of it but yesterday an order came in the mail which contained a Bonanza and a Galore and they both looked great with a lot of healthy growth and a good root system. I thought that this was worth mentioning, I thought it was a wonderful gesture; it's hard to find good customer service these days!

Now I've got to find two more spots in my yard!

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good info to know Linda. That was very nice of Koi Gardens! I am sure you can find a spot for the both of them somewhere.

• ncyasmin
    16 years ago

Hello All! My first post on this forum and although this thread is already rather long, I thought I'd chime in to thank you all for the great information, photos, and advice! I ended up buying 23 clematis from Koi Gardens during their sale - which, btw, is apparently still going on -- yes, I did say 23! It's an obsession now! I've always been a fan of clematis but was always limited to what was available locally, i.e., rather limited, and so I am now in Clematis heaven! All of them look really good, nice growth, wonderful roots although I had a heck of a time cutting those tiny pots away -- AND, they sent me two extras -- Perrin's Pride and Mrs. N. Thompson -- because they were "undersized". I've definitely seen worse at some of the local nurseries and box stores. They are acclimating right now to their gallon pots and expect that they will put on one heck of a show next year -- from spring through fall! Yay! I'll definitely go back to Koi Gardens!

Thanks again to all of you for the great information!

Yasmin

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    16 years ago

Glad to welcome you to the wonderful world of clematis!

• violetta1976
    16 years ago

About how long does it usually take to receive orders from these retailers? Just curious.

• butterclem
    16 years ago

Some good news re the new plants we've all received from Chalk Hill. I just checked all my new plantings. The Venosa Violacea I received from Chalk Hill, and about which I was somewhat anxious because it fell apart on me a bit during planting, is doing well. There was only one visible stem when I planted it, and that stem and its leaves have turned brown. I assume I should prune them back. But a new second stem (already there but invisible, I'd guess) has started and is almost a foot tall! I will definitely trim it back, but it certainly looks healthy.

Hopefully, we will all have good news from our Chalk Hill plants.

Pat

• janetpetiole
    16 years ago

Chalk Hills has an excellent reputation, so I doubt you have anything to worry about. I wouldn't be surprised if more nurseries will switch to a similar potting medium in the future.

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good news Pat. Mine are still there sitting as I planted them. Don't worry about top growth at this point. The clematis should be concentrating on root development at this type of year and the top growth will follow in subsequent years.

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Meant to type time of year and not type of year.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hello,

I just received my order for 6 clematis from Koi Garden Club as well. I received Westerplatte, Viticella Plena Elegans, Texensis Trevor Lawrence, Texensis Princess Diana, MME Baron Veillard, and Roguchi. All travelled beautifully. Full healthy root systems, definitely overgrown in their pots but will do very well I think. One note I would like to add about Koi Garden Club since they are an ebay seller offering a 2 year guarantee is that not only do they include their contact information and address they also state on the invoice to file the packing slip for future reference to assist in processing the replacement of any plants. That gives me a bit more confidence in them and their willingness to stand by their offer.

Tracy

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good to hear Tracy. We expect pictures of blooms next year!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Absolutely! I am now trying to decide which one to start growing up my double white blooming lilac tree. Wink, wink, any suggestions?

Tracy

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The sky is the limit Tracy. Don't know what you have and what you don't have clematis-wise so don't have a clue where to begin with the suggestions! You know purple is my favorite though!!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

These are what I just got in:
    Westerplatte, Viticella Plena Elegans, Texensis Trevor Lawrence, Texensis Princess Diana, MME Baron Veillard, and Roguchi

Tracy

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

These are what I just got in:
    Westerplatte, Viticella Plena Elegans, Texensis Trevor Lawrence, Texensis Princess Diana, MME Baron Veillard, and Roguchi

Tracy

• cattjovi
    16 years ago

I ordered 4 clematis from Koi Garden Club. They arrived about 2 weeks ago. I was thrilled with the plants and the root ball on all were very healthy. I have 4 coming from Chalk Hill that should be arriving Monday. Two Omoshiro's, Crystal Fountain and Arctic Queen. Will update when they arrive.
    Arlene

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Arlene,
    How did you order Omoshiro??? They sold them out a couple of months ago. Did you order them early?

Alina.

• cattjovi
    16 years ago

Alina, I ordered mine in June or July once they updated for the fall. I received an email two weeks ago from Murray reading that Omoshiro and Artic Queen weren't as far along as they hoped and they wanted to credit my credit card. I called and asked if they could hold onto them until Spring 2008 and they said they would. I than decided that I could grow them out here just as well and left a message to that effect and the next thing I know I received notification that they had been shipped. I was afraid it would get away from me again and they stated they don't know when or if they will receive more. So now it's a waiting game to see what they look like.
    Arlene

• alina_1
    16 years ago

That is nice for you Arlene! I am going to order Omoshiro next spring if they will have it. I think Chalk Hill is the only mail order company that sells it.
    Good luck with your new babies!

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great choices Tracy. Roguchi can be a mildew magnet so you might want to start proactive spraying for it early on. I don't have Sir Lawrence Trevor but if it is anything like the others in that texensis hybrid group, watch for mildew on it also. Duchess of Albany is the only texensis hybrid that doesn't get mildew for me. Mildew proclivities can vary from garden to garden though so you might not have an issue with it on either of the two I mentioned.

Alina, the cardinal rule for getting the clematis you want is to order them as soon as your favorite supplier has updated their website with their new offerings. You know what they say about those that hesitate! LOL

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Thank you for the heads up on the mildew proclivity. I will treat them preventatively, I know my climate is supposed to be a bit safer for them regarding this issue, however, the climate seems to be quite different from years past. Thank you once again for the advice.
    Tracy

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No problem Tracy!

• LindaMA
    16 years ago

It's going to be so exciting when Spring comes around to see how all these Clematis' are going to do. I'm sure that they'll all do well. I'm really looking forward to seeing photos from everyone.

My one concern is with my Montana rubens, I love this Clematis but being in zone 5 could prove to be detrimental to this vine. I took your advice Miguel and moved it to a south facing position up against a fence, so I'm hoping with all my heart that this will protect it somewhat. I do not have the option of planting it up against my house. Right now it's growing very well, lots of redish, bronze and green leaves. Maybe we'll have another mild winter, fingers crossed!

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good luck Linda. I hope you can get it to work out for you and that global warming works in your favor!

• violetta1976
    16 years ago

Received my order from Koi Gardens. I'll take some pics tomorrow - it's too cold and crappy out to go do it now! I got Venosa Violacea and Dr Ruppel, but they included Inspiration, too... just to be nice, maybe? The plants look okay. A few brown crispy leaves, but I have a feeling I shouldn't be worried about that, right?

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Violetta, at this point in the season I wouldn't worry about a few crispy leaves. A friend in Wilmington, NC who has been in contact with Jerome at Koi Gardens said that they will continue sending plants until the first week or so of November and will then have to cover their plants. They have some special that if you contact them directly they will sell their clematis for $5 a piece. They have quite an extensive list---

By the way, Jerome sent me the list of all his available clematis - till the end of the first week of November when they must cover their plants. Feel free to post it with the $5 offer if you want, or forward it to those who might be interested on the clematis forum - I still cannot log in there. Three of the Koi's clemtis are blooming Made me happy!

Here is the list...
    Alabast
    Alionushka
    Allanah
    (I can see my breath as I type...)
    Alpina Blue Dancer
    Alpina Pink Flamingo
    Anna-Louise
    Arabella
    Asao
    Ascotiensis
    Belle of Woking
    Beth Currie
    Blue Ravine
    Bonanza
    Cirrhosa Freckles
    Clair de Lune
    Comtesse de Bouchard
    Daniel Deronda
    Dawn
    Dr. Ruppel
    Duchess of Edinburgh
    Durandii
    Edouard DesFosse
    Elsa Spath
    Ernest Markham
    Fargesioides
    Galore
    General Sikorski
    Gillian Blades
    Gypsy Queen
    Hagley Hybrid
    Haku Ookan
    Henryi
    Huldine
    Hyde Hall
    Ice Blue
    Inspiration
    Integrifolia
    Jackmanii
    Jackmanii Superba
    John Paul II
    John Warren
    Ken Donson
    King Edward VII
    Lady Betty Balfour
    Lanuginosa candida
    Liberation
    Lincoln Star
    Louise Rowe
    Macropetala Blue
    Marie Boisselot
    Masquerade
    Miss Bateman
    MME Baron Veillard
    MME Eduoard Andre
    Montana Elizabeth
    Montana Grandiflora
    Montana Mayleen
    Mrs. Cholmondeley
    Mrs. George Jackman
    Mrs. James Mason
    Mrs. N Thompson (really small)
    Mrs. Robert Brydon
    Multi-Blue
    Natascha
    Nelly Moser
    Perle D'Azur
    Perrins Pride
    Petit Faucon
    Piilu
    Prince Charles
    Proteus
    Rhapsody
    Richard Pennell
    Rooguchi/Roguchi
    Rouge Cardinal
    Royal Velvet
    Royalty
    Ruby Glow
    Silver Moon
    Snow Queen
    Special Occasion
    Sugar Candy
    Texensis Duchess of Albany
    Texensis Etoile Rose
    Texensis Gravetye Beauty
    Texensis Pagoda
    Texensis Sir Trevor Lawrence
    The President
    Triternata Rubromarginata
    Twilight
    Victor Hugo
    Victoria
    Ville de Lyon
    Vino
    Viticella Abundance
    Vit. Alba Luxurians
    Vit. Carmencita
    Vit. Etoile Violette
    Vit. Polish Spirit
    Vit. Purpurea Plena Elegans
    Vit. Royal Velours
    Vit. Venosa Violacea
    Voluceau
    Wada's Primrose
    Warsaw Nike
    Westerplatte (might be sold out)
    Will Goodwin

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Miguel..how funny hon..I just emailed the same email to you!!..Jeanne

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I was naughty and ordered:
    Ascotiensis
    Bonanza
    Victoria
    Victor Hugo
    Royalty
    Perrin's Pride
    Will share pics after they arrive..those guys Best come this Monday to remove the sod for my new beds!!
    does this obsession ever end??

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Tempting.....but I have 15 clematis sitting on the deck right now waiting to be planted :-)

Carol

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Guess they will have to wait for a while Carol. Been raining here for two days!! Yeah!!! Hope you are getting the same.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Today is sunny and cool. Beautiful. We got an inch of much needed rain over the past two days. Nice slow rain that kind of came and went but managed to drop a decent amount! It was supposed to rain again today but they were wrong. No matter, I am happy that we got any at all. It usually misses us. I am so pleased that you have rain too!

Carol

• violetta1976
    16 years ago

Rain! That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you guys!

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ecstatic here Violetta. It has been raining off and on for two days now and I just checked the rain gauge which I have not checked since it started--5 inches so far! Yeah!! Carol, it looks like it is headed your way as it winds down later today and tomorrow here.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Congratulations on the RAIN! I am so happy for you guys! 5 inches? Excellent news! I hope it keeps going!

Tracy

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Yes, the rain has been great! And way past time too!
    I have already rec'd 4 clems from Koi Garden (which was mentioned over on the rose forum- I had not heard of it before). My plants all arrived in good condition, plenty of roots, and long vines- over 3 ft on 3 of them. I got Allanah, Haku Ookan, Jackmanii Superba, and Clair de lune. Then the 5.00 sale was announced, and I emailed Jerome w/ several more and asked to wait until the beginning of next wk to formally order them (I had to be out of town most of this wk.). He responded back promptly and said that was fine. So far, excellent customer service, and plants in good condition, and NO styrofoam to have to take to the local pkg co. to get rid of! Looks like a winner. Brandy

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Tracy. I am most happy!

Brandy, glad you got it too! I agree about the past time part most certainly. I was tempted by Koi Gardens $5.00 offer but decided to hold off. I have several waiting to plant next spring and am planning on starting quite a few from seed. Of course, that is a long term project considering how long some take to germinate.

• cattjovi
    16 years ago

Well what's a few more clematis to plant. I went alittle crazy and ordered
    Duchess of Edinburgh
    Henryi
    Nelly Moser
    Dr. Ruppel
    Liberation
    Miss Bateman
    Blue Ravine
    Belle of Woking
    Marie Boisselot
    Vit. Purpurea Plena Elegans
    Ernest Markham
    Hagley Hybrid
    Lady Betty Balfour
    Rhapsody
    The President
    It's a sickness!!!
    Arlene

• brandyray
    16 years ago

My new ones arrived this wk- Arabella, Ascotiensis, Clair de lune, Pele d'Azur, V. Purpurea P. Elegans, Royal Velvet, Voluceau, and Etoile Violette. The smallest of the group is Clair dl, and I guess that's why he sent two of them but only charged me for one. Roots look good on all of them, but I have not potted them up yet. That has been added to my list of things to do this wkend (before the roses I ordered arrive next wk!). Brandy
    BTW, I think you enabled me into some of these, ncville, that was earlier in the yr when I looked at your pics.

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brandy--guilty as charged. Is frost in your forecast early next week? Perhaps you are further east enough not to have to worry about that yet! I am glad to see it come after this long dry summer and fall we have had!

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

"Believe me, I have planned trips to pass by certain stores that I have wanted to visit in the past. I think however with Donahues I will settle for ordering the quart sized plants and growing them out myself."

Hey, Miguel, a visit to MN in the early summer/mid summer is great, warm temps during the days, cooling off in the evenings. After living in St. Louis for 8 years I moved back to MN and was frequently heard to say "What a beautiful evening" that first year back. We also have a wonderful arboretum here. So, come on up!

I miss the early springs of St. Louis as it doesn't really get springy and beautiful in MN until May. But, oh, those cool summer nights almost make up for the late spring.

I visted Donahues last April during their spring open house and bought several gallon pots of clematis. Have also ordered from them via mail with good results.

Bobbie

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bobbie, have never visited your neck of the woods but one day might get up that way. That type of midsummer weather, i.e. warm days and cool nights, is my kind of weather over the hot humid sticky summer days and nights we tend to get.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Miguel, we can get some hot sticky days and nights but they are generally in the dog days of August or early September during the state fair which is a big event here.

I have been e-mailing with Jerome from Koi Gardens. Didn't realize he was here in MN and not too far from me so I will be picking up my clematis from him next spring. Saving on shipping will allow me to get a couple more.

So, you could visit Donahue's, Koi Gardens, the MN arboretum, drive up north along Lake Superior and have a good vacation. If you like theatre Minneapolis is well known for its great variety.

Let me know if you decide to come this way. Hopefully, in a couple of years my new plantings along the neighbor's fence will be in full bloom so you could see them. But don't wait too many years as we are getting near retirement and thinking of moving somewhere warm in the winter.

Bobbie

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Where in Minnesota? Actually, I just checked and it's the county west of whatever county Hastings is in - is that correct?

Will he be open to the general public?

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I don't know if Koi Gardens is open to the public. Jerome lives in the Mpls area and has the plants at a farm south of Lakeville. I am going to meet him to get my clematis and am not going to the growing location.

I overstepped suggesting that Miguel could visit Koi Gardens. Thought he and Jermone might arrange a private visit. Sorry.

• koigardenclub_com
    15 years ago

LOL! No, you didn't overstep! We are always available for a private tour, by appointment, or during our special plant sales.

The plants are kept in a private nursery on a farm. Some of the plants are mine, some belong to Avant Gardens of MN, a water feature landscape company in the Twin Cities area (not to be confused with the east coast greenhouse company of the same name.)

We have weekend plant sales many times throughout the growing season, so if you are in the area and want to know when these sales are, please sign up in the Spam-Free Email Newsletter box on my clematis page.

Thank you again all! I'm off to ship out the first batch of plants as the new owner of KGC. Jerome

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bobbie, I am sure you get some hot sticky days but down here it goes on for months. I like summer the least of all the seasons. I like cooler weather although I am not sure if I could take your winters. I quite understand if you might want to retire to a place that has warmer winters although you might regret the summers! LOL My dream life would include a place up north for the spring, summer, and fall, and a place in the south for the winter. Your areas sounds like a great place to visit and I can't rule it out. The last three years the major vacation has been cruises in the Caribbean during the mid-fall and I greatly have enjoyed all three including the jewelry purchases that I have made on all three voyages.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz