Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering species seedlings

Posted by swontgirl_z5a (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 15:47

Hi, I have several seedlings from species seed that I need to do something with for the winter. They are all still in pots. Some of the Ianthinas are over 12 inches tall. Others are quite tiny. Have tubulosas, freemontiis, crispas, one viorna. Would it be better for me to keep them under lights in my basement this winter or plant the bigger ones out? I live in zone 5a and we have had one frost already. As well can I prune the taller ones back? Thanks
Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering species seedlings

Frost already? Ouch. I've had good luck giving them a dormant period inside in a cold basement room (40-50F). Our winters are pretty harsh on young seedlings, and 1 year seedlings of fremontii, crispa and ianthina haven't always lived through them if planted outside.

o

Thanks Michael,
I wondered if the first winter might be hard on them. So should I just put them pot and all in the dark in the basement? Any water? Will they die back? I also have some tubulosas which are herbaceous and I am assuming they will die off. I just never get the whole dormant in the basement thing. It just seems like stuff dies to me. How exactly do you do it???
Thanks for answering. I was beginning to wonder why no one knew!!
Debbie

o

Your main concern with those small plants planted out now is possibility of heaving and exposing lots of roots to freezing weather.
What I have done in the past very successfully is to put mine in the frost free area outside- I have basement window wells outside which are covered with plastic- air exchange allows temps to stay fairly above the freezing all throughout the winter.
You can bring it in the cold basement sometimes in the next couple of weeks and leave it alone, maybe water it once in Feb or so and take it out in the spring but you have to keep it rather on dry side or they will rot.
Those ones that have largest root system could be planted even now. I would dump large pile of oak leaves on that area after soil frozen.
If you plant is very small you could bring it under lights but as with most perennials they do need their cold period to develop well so trying to grow them over winter is tooo much trouble IMHO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here