Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Is There Something Wrong With My Reiman?

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

My Reiman clematis is not blooming at this time of year! It bloomed earlier in May and I have not done anything to it this year except transplant it out of the ground and into the pot it's in now. I had it out at the back steps where it got eastern sun. Now it's back facing in a westerly direction. Should I have pruned it after it was done blooming? Can I still get blooms before the frost? I just got my plant last summer/fall and I can't remember if it bloomed or not. I think it had a couple but it really put on a show back in May! Here are a couple of pictures for comparison!

In May

{{gwi:356177}}

Current state (the stalks are from two sunflowers that grew from a careless chipmunk or birds). These were taken a few moments ago.

{{gwi:622632}}

{{gwi:622636}}

In the pot, it's planted in MG Flower and Vegetable Soil and I gave it MG tomato fertilizer (I read somewhere it promoted fruit and flower formation). Is it too late to fertilize? What should I do?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (12)

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Why did you transplant from the ground to a pot? Just curious I guess. How do you plan to overwinter it in that pot? It would be safer for the plant to have remained in the ground, at least until next spring when you could move it to a pot. Can you transplant it back into the ground? It is a little late in the season, but I think if you kept it well watered until winter, it may be alright.

Was the MG soil a mix or just garden soil?
    Try to use a "MIX" and not just garden soil which is too heavy for most potted plants. MG soils contain fertilizer already so maybe the addition of more fertilizer is overkill?
    Also, maybe it's just transplant shock? Just keep it well watered. Don't put any more fertilizers on it this season. You don't want to add any more stress than it already shows.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kentstar, we (my mom and I) transplanted it because she wanted a rosebush for that spot. Shouldn't it come back since it's hardy to zone 4? The MG soil is a mix I think. We've been going through a rough dry spell here this summer and I've been keeping it well watered.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Here is an excellent link from the containers forum about just the thing I was talking about as far as overwintering them goes. Tapla is the best one to talk to about container plants!

Here is a link that might be useful: More overwintering questions

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Looks either dry and burned or has fungus in that picture, can't tell. Digging from ground and sticking in pot would likely not make happy Clemmy.

• katie
    13 years ago

I agree, digging it up and putting it in a pot makes for a very unhappy clematis. It will take a year or more to recover. Too bad, it looked like it was doing well where you originally had it.

Katie

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I do hope this one bounces back next year as it was a gift to me. I read that it does well in containers and that pot was being unused at the time. Now that I think of it, it hasn't grown an inch since I put it into the pot. I deadheaded the flowers when they fell off but no signs of growth afterwards (it was done flowering when we transplanted it). Everyone commented on the flowers when it bloomed.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• amaia
    13 years ago

Moonwolf
    You will be very surprised with the size of a sun flower rootball. And you have 2 in that pot with your clemie. Really not a good combination. I read once that sun flowers release something in the soil that acts like a poison for other plants. They do this to avoid competition. Maybe this is the major problem.
    I'll will repot it into a bigger container with new fresh pot soil.
    Good luck

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am familar with growing sunflowers and pulling them out of the garden in the fall. I didn't know their roots secreted something toxic to other plants! I think it's in a fifteen inch pot right now so maybe an eighteen inch would work? I saw some large containers and soil for sale at Wal-Mart so maybe I'll pick some up on the next trip.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• bob414
    13 years ago

A google search for 'are sunflowers allelopathic' will provide a lot of information about their toxicity for other plants.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I took it out of the pot today and I put it in the ground again. I'm not going to worry about a trellis yet since it's closer time to the first frosts of the year. The planter it's in has no bottom and everything I've grown in these (veggies and herbs) always did fine.
    The plants out back get eastern sun from morning until about noon and then bright shade the rest of the day with maybe an hour or two in the late afternoon/evening.

Here's my sad looking Reiman.

{{gwi:622640}}

{{gwi:622643}}

Should I prune it now or wait until after the frost?

TIA,
    Brad AKA Moonwolf

• kentstar
    13 years ago

I wouldn't prune it at all until next spring. Just keep it watered and leave it be. You don't want to add anymore undue stress upon it right now. It will probably sulk again for a time, or even look like it died, but don't give up on it. Clematis have a strange way of showing back up in spring when you least expected it lol.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, kentstar!

It got plenty of rain today thanks to Tropical Storm Nicole. I'll leave it alone until the spring then.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County