Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis leaf edges yellowing

Posted by TomNorthJersey 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 16:37

I have two clematis I planted last fall. They are very close to each other and have received basically the same care, light, etc.

On one of them, the edges of some of the leaves started to yellow (see picture). The other one seems fine but there are some hints that it might be yellowing.

I think this looks like potassium deficiency, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I haven't fertilized it frequently. At planting, last fall, in the spring and again recently when I noticed the yellowing.

I use this little plastic scoop to measure out the fertilizer. I thought it was a 2 oz scoop but it turns out it's a 1oz scoop. (DOH!) so it didn't get as much fertilizer as I thought.

Is it ok to fertilize this time of year? There are no blooms right now but I think that's normal? Should be coming soon though from what I remember of last year.

I usually use Espoma Garden-Tone (3-4-4), but I also have a Tomato-Tone (3-4-6) which is higher in K which might help if it is potassium deficiency.

If you have any recommendations it would really help me if you also could let me know how many days it might take to see a difference.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis leaf edges yellowing

It could be a potassium deficiency.......that often results in that sort of appearance. I would want to do a soil test to confirm before leaping to any conclusions. Regardless, this is definitely not the time of year to do any fertilizing. The plant will be going dormant before much longer and will not metabolize the fertilizer efficiently. The Espoma products are organic and so slow release by nature. Plus, any unnecessary nitrogen could prompt additional growth at this time of year - not a desired result. It's rather late in the season to be expecting bloom if you haven't had any yet.....what kind of clematis is it?

Wait to fertilize until you prune the vine back in spring. Of your choices, the Tomato Tone is the one I'd go with. If you want to do something immediately, it never hurts to mulch the root zone liberally with compost. That can be done at any time.

o
RE: Clematis leaf edges yellowing

It's a Piilu. Supposedly blooms May to June then Sept to Oct.

Had a lot of rain this year. That and the mistake with measuring fertilizer might be the problem.

I'll hold off on doing anything. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to do anything to keep it alive.

Thank you for your advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here