Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H.f.Young

Posted by Digginlife 6ny (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 16:43

I bought a h.f.young and havent planted it yet ..Any suggestions for its best location... is it a waste of height on a 5ft bird feeder post or should I try to grow it up a taller trellis. Are pots a bad idea for this type? Do they grow better spread out against a fence or a tall post? Will I have to look at dead wood in the winter? The pic is the locations I was thinking of ..Kinda have too many morning glories than I want and was gonna swap some out for the H.F young. I have two pots with trellis going up the shed and 2 bird feeder posts in front also have a fence in the background I can use Thanks for any info or suggestions!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H.f.Young

It is eventually going to grow larger than that space allows.

I have seen Clematis used nicely on bird feeder posts but they were allowed to flop back down and spread a lot wider than your pictures show. They were on 4 x 4 posts wrapped with metal wire mesh fencing.

Yes, dead stems in winter.

o

Thanks for the info!!! Im so indecisive...So where would u plant it??... in the front around the birdfeeders or in the pot and grown up the trellis on the right of the shed? If I mulch the bottom of the vines and or plant low shrubs can the top handle over 6 hrs of sun or will my leaves brown? My hydrangeas there fry in the summer

o

You can see a young-ish (maybe 3 years?) DH Young clamboring up the trellis in front and starting to rebloom. I'm working on training her across the climbing High Noon that is to her right....

o

Here she is a bit further into the rebloom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here