Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting clematis from seed

Posted by sunset49424 z5Mich (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 07 at 17:19

Please, please help me, I have several clematis,and each yr I gather the seeds and have tried to start them to grow.but with no luck, I have read on GW and tried everything I can think of from chilling, putting in freezer for couple of months,refrigeration,planting seeds in pots, and left out in snow all winter, nothing seems to work for me, I have NEVER gotten any to sprout and grow into a plant, also I have planted seeds into mircle grow potting soil,put into zip lock bag,then some I refrigeratored and some I sat under a shrub(like I have started roses from cuttings)outdoors in the summertime....still nothing. please any and all advise would be much appreciated...thanks...sunset zone 5.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting clematis from seed

Starting from seed is not the easiest thing to do, especially if you are the impatient type (like me). Some clematis can take well over a year to germinate and others can take as few as a couple of weeks. You don't say which type of clematis you have attempted to grow from seed. If they were the type that takes longer than a few months, remember you need to move the bags/pots into a shady area during the warmer months to prevent from cooking the seeds.

Check the following link out for helpful tips and estimated germination times for various types of seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis from Seed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here