Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Clematis decapitated !!!!

Posted by vic447 4b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 17:46

I went to check my Autumn clematis to enjoy its beauty this morning and someone had chewed right through the base of the stems,but didn't eat it,just left the whole plant on the trellis with no stems !! Argh ,any idea what pest could be so rude ??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Clematis decapitated !!!!

ohh im sorry! Id be sooo mad! I dont know whhat woulda done that, but id set a trap andget rid of him, for sure!

o

If the cuts are cut cleanly at an angle - it could be a rabbit.

o

Thank You! Yes they are cleanly cut on an angle.What a dumb rabbit,the vegetable garden is on the other side of the yard,I wouldn't have cared if he chewed the chard!I had read that clematis doesn't get eaten because of a toxin it emits,I guess he didn't read that!

o

I had this happen twice this summer to one of the many clematis I grow on my neighbor's fence. The same clematis both times. The first time I raised the protective fencing around the bottom of the clematis. The second time it was frustrating but since this was the first year's growth I considered it as help with the pruning. Both times it happened just as the plant was starting to flower.

I think it was rabbits as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here