Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakefarm_gw

Is this Sweet Autumn Clematis??

lakefarm
14 years ago

Hello. I posted this question in the gallery section here:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/hpgal0917232513960.html

Please see the photo at the link. If you have Sweet Autumn Clematis (C. terniflora), is this what the leaves look like? I received this plant last week and it's supposed to be C. terniflora but I'm suspicious of a mix up because of the leaves.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• kentstar
    14 years ago

Can you show us more of the plant? Maybe a larger pic? It's too hard to see if it is or isn't.

• lakefarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tried posting more than one photo but it won't let me. I'd have to have multiple posts (separate, not in the same thread) for multiple photos. I didn't want to abuse Garednweb by doing multiple posts..

All the photos I've seen of SAC show smooth-edged leaves that are pointed at the tip. The one I received had rounded, multi-lobed leaves, nothing like the classical heart shape of a SAC as far as I know.. What do the leaves on your clem look like?

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

To add more than one photo just repeat what you did with the first photo in the same message box. When you have all the photos included hit preview and they should all be in your message. Hit submit if you are satisfied with the photos and message.

I like to hit preview after adding each photo so I can see that I got the one I wanted. Just be sure to return to the message box below. Don't hit submit until you have added all the photos.

Will Goodwin
    {{gwi:622976}}

Clematis NOID 3 Jackmanii?
    {{gwi:622978}}

{{gwi:622979}}

{{gwi:622980}}

{{gwi:622981}}

The Clematis NOID 3 are all the same plant taken at different times, the last two just recently.

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

To make your link clickable it has to be in the optional link box. Sometimes that box doesn't show until after you hit preview message.

I think it looks like my sweet autumn leaves but a larger photo would help.

• lakefarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

61kb is the largest image size I can post on Gardenweb, which is pretty small. So I opened an account on Photobucket and here are the photos. Let me know if these look like your C. terniflora.

{{gwi:622982}}

{{gwi:622983}}

{{gwi:622984}}

Thanks!

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Yes, those look the same as my Sweet Autumn today (planted last fall).

• lakefarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much, mnwsgal! I'm so glad that I can expect all the nice fragrance.

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

C. terniflora (sweet autumn) does get those trilobed, somewhat scalloped edges to it, so congrats. Also, mnwsgal, that is not Jackmanii. It's a patens type, perhaps along the lines of William Kennet or similar.

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Thanks, Michael. I had my doubts that it was Jackmanni though had been told by the person who gave me the plant that it was. Since I moved my Jackmanni last fall I didn't have many blooms and none at the same time to compare.