Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis winterizing

Posted by nelly1959 Alaska (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 30, 10 at 19:27

I am trying to figure out how to winterize a clematis in Anchorage, Alaska. I planted the clematis in a pot and it bloomed really nice all summer. Now it is getting colder and I would like some input of how to keep over the winter.
thanks so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis winterizing

After a hard freeze the foilage dies so I cut it back and place the dormant clematis in an unheated insulated garage for the winter. Also put some shredded leaves on top. Nothing else is done to it until new growth starts in March/April when I pull the pot out and set it near a sunny garage window or put it outside.

I set the pot on something (wooden boards, lawn chair, etc.) to get it off the floor as have been told that the cold transfers from the cement floor to the roots and they can be damaged. No idea if that is true or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here