Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetta1976

holes on leaves and petals

violetta1976
16 years ago

Just noticed that the two Asao I just brought home have little holes on their leaves and petals. Forgive me if this is a given, but this is my first year with outdoor plants - is the little caterpillar on my finger in the pic below likely to blame? What can I do about it? I saw him on my petunias in a window box right next to the clematis. Thus far I don't see any damage on any of my other plants, but it'd be lovely to keep it that way. And, of course, minimize further damage to my new clematis.

{{gwi:623184}}
{{gwi:623186}}
{{gwi:623188}}
{{gwi:623190}}

Comments (11)

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I have severe problems with earwigs chewing holes in my Clematis. Likely that is what is getting yours too. It is very annoying.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Although earwigs are very common in relatively close proximiity to the ground, I am not sure if that is the issue in your case Violetta since you garden on a deck that is up off the ground. Kind of hard to determine the root cause of your issue. It could be the catepillars and earwigs could climb up the house and onto the deck. You could lay some traps to see what you might catch on the deck to help narrow down the possibilities.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

DH took down an old wooden bird feeder yesterday that was up on the side of the shed. It was full of earwigs. Those suckers can climb.

May have ridden in from the nursery too since the Asao's were bought locally, recently.

Try lifting up some of your pots during the day, they like to hide underneath.

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

Hi Violetta: I'm in the Pac NW too and it seemed like overnight these little suckers chewed my rose leaves to bits! Very annoying! I had tiny green caterpillars last week that were skeletonizing all my rose leaves. Look on the underside of your Clem leaves and try to hand pick them off. That's where they were on my roses, the underneath of the leaves. I did that and on a cloudy day I gave everything a nice Neem Oil bath. They seem to be gone now. Haven't noticed any new damage.

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I have a feeling the Asaos were infested when I brought them home.

What am I looking at in terms of "traps"? I'm new to all this... I don't even know what google search terms to use!

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

To trap earwigs roll up newspapers and dampen them. However, I caught one that way. I find many more when I pick up my pots that are on my deck.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

I think that there is also one where you use old tuna cans and put vegetable oil in them. Give them someplace to hide during the day that you can them put in a trashbag or shake into a pail of water.

Google earwig traps and you will get a ton of info. Following is one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earwig traps

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Miguel. I haven't seen any critters around that look anything like that, but I'll lay some traps and see what turns up. Thanks!

• janetpetiole
    16 years ago

Someone here mentioned putting soy sauce into a plastic disposable container (with cover) to which a few holes are cut into the sides, high enough on the container so about an inch of soy sauce can be added. Top off with a bit of vegetable oil. I caught a lot of earwigs in one of these traps in a short period of time.

• eden_in_me
    16 years ago

That first picture looks like one of my smaller slugs.

Marie in ME

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Violetta,

You can see earwigs at night time only. Grab a flashlight and examine your plants at night. You will not only kill your critters, but also entertain your neigbours (I did) :~)

I managed to keep them under control by spraying with soap water and by using my cat's food cans as traps.