Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomnorthjersey

Planted in June and not much growth?

TomNorthJersey
11 years ago

I planted 2 Piilu clematis in the end of June. They haven't really grown much since I planted them.

After coming to this forum I learned I needed to plant them deeper so I went back and was able to put a little more soil on top of them. Then covered again with cedar bark mulch.

They were watered regularly after planting and during the heat. A couple of the waterings included Plant Growth Activator Plus (seaweed, humic acid, hydrolized soy and a bunch of beneficial microorganisms). The blooms they came with dropped soon after transplant. A few blooms showed up after that but not much. No blooms now.

A few weeks after planting I fertilized with Espoma Plant Tone (5-3-3 organic). 1 cup around the soil of each plant. One of the branches on one of the plants grew about 6" but that's all the new growth I've seen.

When I planted I incorporated some organic potting mix into the back fill. I later discovered that the mix had fungus gnats. Could that be the problem, could it be something else, or is this normal for right after planting? I thought this variety bloomed a lot and through october even in the first year.

Foliage looks fine.

Comments (3)