Comments (10)

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:623642}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Bummer. :(

I guess your climate there is too cool for lizards? Here the garden is full of Western Fence lizards, and as a result no earwigs (their favorite food).

On the other hand, you get rain.

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

You have my sympathy, BorS. Those photos could have been from my garden, except that I pruned off the damage. I couldn't look at it without getting depressed.

• carolfm
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry. I guess we don't have them here...yet. We seem to have all the other fungal diseases and pests in the world, I hope these aren't the next plague.

Carol

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

WOW! You DO have a problem :-( Are you absolutely sure it's the earwigs? I've never seen any earwig damage to that severe an extent. I'd be much more likely to suspect some sort of caterpillar/larval issue, like cutworms or something similar, especially on the vine that has been totally skeletonized.

I assume you've been out late evening with your flashlight checking all the foliage to suss out the exact culprits?

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I have. No cutworms or larvae. Loads of earwigs. It really seems to worse in certain areas where the soil is dry from the neighbor's Doug firs and I've used wooden structures. I think the earwigs hide in the lattice during the day. I've had them go into the cracks as I'm trying to smash them.

Helios is the skeletonized one. In previous years it happened right away as it grew but this year I used Sluggo Plus and it grew to six feet without damage. But, I have to go to Seattle for two weeks every August and this year I had to go to Atlanta for a week for work and everything dried out. DH didn't spread any Sluggo either. Maybe this was a factor, maybe not. I don't know.

No fence lizards here. Sure wish there were. I LOVE lizards. Always have. Lived in Phoenix for fifteen years. Miss them. Miss the weather too.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Yep, if they were my plants I would pull out all the guns including systemics. I couldn't live with plants chomped to bits like that. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead with whatever will kill the buggers!

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found an unopened bottle of that systemic rose and flower care that you water the plant with instead of spraying in my shed. Good grief, I had it all along. Did I manage to use it yesterday? Nooooo. It has fertilizer in it as well but I think one dose now won't be too bad, frost is a long way off for us. It is labeled for weevils on Rhodies too. Why oh why didn't I use it earlier????

• phyl345
    15 years ago

i understand sevin will take care of the earwigs (??) ~~ a systemic such as merit (??) ~~ desperate times call for desperate measures ~~ ducking now to miss all the arrows aimed at me from ~~ well, you know who ~~ sorry

• kimcoco
    15 years ago

Ouch.

Thanks for posting pics to help educate the newbies such as myself - I'll know what damage to keep an eye out for.

I'm still torn about the whole discussion in an earlier post about treating my clems with systemics but also attracting hummingbirds to my yard this year. So far, I haven't noticed any real damage, but have seen an earwig or two. If it gets that bad, I may have to give in.

Actually, that's what one of my petunias looks like this year (though not as bad), even though I already treated it with a systemic at the end of July. Maybe it's slugs? I have it in a pot on the ground....I'll try Sluggo and see if that helps, but with the weather getting colder it may not be an issue much longer anyway.

I don't remember if we saw any pics of your healthy clems?????

Good luck with the earwig issue.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner