Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsaybev

No Growth Since Planting in Early Summer

lindsaybev
9 years ago

I purchased four plants in late spring: two Warsaw Nikes, and two Will Goodwins. They came as two year old plants and were about 8 inches tall. I planted these out front to climb two large trellises I built a bit earlier. A few weeks after planting, both the Will Goodwiins broke at the stems. I put up some protection around all the bases now, and am hopeful that those two will continue to grow. The Warsaw Nikes are growing and beautiful.

I received two additional Warsaw Nikes from a different nursery. These came not as the established small plant, but shipped as frozen-like plants. The nursery claimed this was the best method. At any rate, they "awakened," and have been planted in the back yard, a bit more shady of an area. Plus, because they were unexpected, the soil I planted these two in did not get all the attention as the soil for all the other four plants did.

They have not died, and actually look pretty healthy,but I am concerned because they have not grown at all. They are still small plants, barely 3-4 inches off the ground, and yet they were planted a week after the front clematises (clemati? ...haha.). Is this normal for young plants? Or is my clay soil keeping them from growing roots? Is it the shade? Should I dig them up and amend the soil better? Or should I just calm down and wait?

Comments (6)

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

There's a saying about clems - the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap. I wouldn't do anything like digging them up - I'd just calm down and wait ;)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

It is really important for clematis to develop a good root system - there is a lot of top growth they need to support, usually with pretty skinny little stems while still young. Planting in unamended clay is maybe not the best start :-)

Since they are such small things now, I would dig them up and take some time to prepare a proper planting hole for them. Amend well and plant deeply. If your soil does not drain quickly - sometimes a concern with clay - you can mound the planting area, which will improve drainage yet still allow for deep planting of the vines.

Your newest plants may still be recovering from their shipping ordeal as well but better planting will not hurt. I will say that unless I purchase clematis that fill a 1G container at the very least, I do not plant them directly into the garden but grow them on in containers until the roots have developed to that volume, usually a full season. I think it gives them the best possible start.

But they are tougher plants than you might think. I'm sure they'll do fine next season with just a litlle TLC now.

btw, the plural of clematis is.......clematis!! LOL!

• buyorsell888
    9 years ago

Based on my own personal experience of just sticking them in clay soil, I agree with gardengal.

Dig them up and amend the planting holes. Really work up that soil all around and make sure you plant them deeper than they were in the nursery pots too.

I have ten year old Clems still struggling in clay soil that was not dug up and amended. They still wilt back every year but I have had some physical issues keeping me from doing this hard digging to fix them. Clems planted in holes that were really dug up and amended are ten times the size and vigor no matter what clematis they are. I've even had some die completely that I stuck in clay. Fall is a great time to do this and every summer I say I'm going to do it but it never gets done....Do yours now!

• lindsaybev
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your information. The backyard holes were not amended too well because the plants were a surprise; I used what amendments I had left over from the backyard veggie garden and front flower beds, which even got nice French-drain-like underground drains that I slaved in 100-degree sun to hand make.

While I don't have that degree of stamina at this point, after ingesting all of this information and because of their still runty size, and the "prospect of" a pretty rainy winter season, I am thinking I should probably dig up those two runts in the back and keep them in pots during the winter to protect them (would I bring them inside ever???) IN ADDITION to amending the soil better.

AND, in fact, the two Will Goodwins that broke off at the stems in the wonderfully amended front yard soil (anyone every wonder why "backyard" is one word and "front yard" is two???)...well, NOW I am thinking I should bring those up, too, and pot them for the winter...possibly longer? (They are just little 1/4 - 1/2 inch sticks protruding from the ground since they broke. Poor things would be burried completely if I "burried them deeply"...or even deeper than how they came potted because they were about 8 - 12 inches tall at that time.)

Does that sound like a good idea?

And on that note, for the people who keep their clematis (thanks for the plural spelling, Gardengal!) potted until well-rooted, what is the best potting soil/mixture to get those roots stimulated and strong??? And how can I tell when it is "well rooted," just by the above-ground size of the plant?

Thank you for your expertise! ...invaluable.

-Lindsay

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

If you are really in 9b, there is no need to bring potted clematis indoors. They will overwinter fine outside. You just want to use a good quality potting soil....something pretty textural and barky. Do you have any Kellogg's products in your area, usually sold under the names Gardner & Bloome or Master Nursery? They make excellent potting soils. Avoid Miracle Gro soils - they are too fine and far too moisture retentive.

You can tell when a potted clem is well rooted by gently tipping it out of the container - if sufficiently developed, the rootball will hold together well with the network of roots obvious on the surface. Sometimes the roots will come through the drainage holes at the base. You need to be patient with this. Clems I potted up this spring I won't plant out until next spring (although they may be fine to go right now).

Also I wouldn't worry about digging up the Will Goodwins if they were oringinally planted in a well amended hole Just cover them over with soil or mulch.......burying them won't hurt at all and the new growth in spring will come right up through it.

• lindsaybev
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. It rained hard last night and my flower beds out front drained nicely. I am glad all the seat paid off. The Warsaw Nike's a bit "balder" now...but they held up well.

Do you ever cover the young plants if you are expecting a heavy rain?