Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondiesc

Positive Chalk Hill Experience

blondiesc
15 years ago

Much has been written about Chalk Hill and after reading the posts I've been dreading receiving my order. I was very pleasantly surprised when I opened my box and found 2 very healthy plants last week. I had ordered Crispa and Edward Pritchard. I received Crispa and Petit Faucon (hope I spelled that correctly). I had not specified a substitute but after researching Petit Faucon it was obvious that Chalk Hill had tried to find a similar plant for a substitute to Edward Pritchard. I'm pleased with their choice.

Petit Faucon has outstanding roots that fill the container, not root bound, but nicely fill the container. Crispa has 3 open blooms on it ---- I am thrilled with that! Imagine dreading opening the box not knowing what I'd find and finding blooms. The roots on that plant look great as well, not as abundant as the Petit Faucon, but still very nice roots.

I'm not sharing my experience to make anyone else feel worse about their experience. I just felt like I should come to Chalk Hill's defense ------ they are not all bad.

Comments (10)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

No one is claiming that Chalk Hill is all bad Blondie but they are expressing their feelings about how they feel that they have been mistreated and how the treatment they received was nothing like the service the company gave people when it was actively operating. Even you admit that you had a plant substituted without authorization and you are fine with that and I am happy for you that you are. However that does not negate how other people feel when they are treated similarly and feel a different way. Just like we all have different experiences with the same clematis in one garden to the next, not all people are going to react the same way to the same situation.

By the way, I think you are going to like Petit Faucon much more than you ever would have liked Edward Pritchard. Had both and Petit Faucon is the hands down winner in my book! It blooms April to September for me and the color is just stupendous!

• blondiesc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nckvilledudes - I'm not trying to negate the feelings of the people who had bad experiences. I've definitely had bad experiences with other vendors before and it is very disappointing. But I do think that it is only fair that the good experiences be shared as well as the bad ones. Not saying that my good experience outweighs the bad ones that others had.

Thanks for the encouragement about Petit Faucon. I can't wait till next year!

• scarlettseraph
    15 years ago

I'm glad to hear your plants look good, its nice to hear some successes as well :)

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

I am happy for you. It is good that some had good experiences. My experience was different.
    kay

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Blondie..glad to hear you had such a great experience with Chalkhill as I have always had.Murray is a wonderful person and will be sorely missed in the Clematis world

• kimcoco
    15 years ago

Blondie, AMEN!

Please share pics of Petit Faucon with us when the time comes. That's another on my "want" list, though I'm running out of space.

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Jeannie, do you know if Murray has officially retired?

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Glad you had a positive experience. I love my Petite Faucon!

It took it several years to really get going but this year it had hundreds of blooms, completely covered an azalea that is about 4' x 4' and ran along the ground too.

The picture below is the "back" side of the azalea, I seem to have not gotten a good picture of the front which had three times as many blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Petite Faucon

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Janet..Email me and I will give you the lowdown..hugzzzzzzzz...Jeanne

• blondiesc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buyorsell ---- That is a beautiful photo of Petite Faucon! Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to see mine mature.