Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this wilt, mold, insects - is my Clematis dying?

Posted by serenae 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 10:01

I've been so busy with other projects in my yard this year that I didn't notice how bad my Clematis had gotten! Some of the lower leaves started to brown in July, but I figured it was just from the very hot and dry weather.

I have been watering it every day, except for when it rains of course.

These brown leaves are now all the way up almost half way, a few have holes in them, and a few have whitish bits on them.

Info:

It's a Jackmanii Clematis, and I just planted it this past spring.

It flowered quite a lot for it's first year (repeatedly), but it's spindly. I was going to trim it back in the spring. However, I'm worried that it's actually dying and that because the lower parts are ALL brown leaves, that if I cut it back too far it will hurt it.

Help???

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this wilt, mold, insects - is my Clematis dying?

Unfortunately, this can be normal behavior. Many of mine look exactly the same.

You should whack it off six inches from the ground in early spring or anytime after regular frosts so it isn't encouraged to start growing again.

You shouldn't worry about these vines, the new growth is going to come up from the crown which you should have buried when you planted. Not from these stems which are done.

Daily watering should not be necessary except for tiny pots or newly planted Clems in extreme heat.

o

Lots of mine look terrible too. My Henryi has 6' of brown leaves, but has produced a couple of beautiful white flowers from that brown mess. Others are just done for the year. Nothing to worry about.

o

Well, I'm relieved that even this many brown leaves are still okay and "normal".
Thanks both of you for your replies - I'll do the big chop in the early spring and also plant some shallow-root plants around the bottom so that they can cover the ugliness next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here