Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut-back Clematis integrifolia for winter?

Posted by jaguar325 MN (4a) (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 10:55

I am a newbie to Clematis, having put my first one in this summer. With winter rapidly approaching, we are preparing for the annual garden clean-up. Most of the plants we have are cut back completely for winter (right to the ground - except maybe an inch or so of stubble so we know where they were). They come back bigger/better the next spring with no problems.

The specific plant in question is a Clematis integrifolia 'Caerulea'... I'm wondering if caring for this semi-shrub form of Clematis might not necessarily the same as the vine. Should I leave all/part of the stems intact or cut it all the way down? It is planted in a spot where snow is going to pile up 2-3 feet.

Thanks for your advice.

Big K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut-back Clematis integrifolia for winter?

You can cut it back or leave it to die back on it's own. If you leave it, you should cut anything left off in spring.

o

I leave the stems to catch the snow, cutting back in the spring.

o

It will die back all the way to the ground. No need to cut it back. The dead stems will just clean up in the Spring with the rest of your Spring clean up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here