Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting medium for clematis

Posted by ckrieger 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 9, 08 at 14:21

I have been reading this forum all summer and have gleaned a lot of wonderful knowledge. I do have a question that I cannot find the answer to though. I will be placing 2 clematis' in pot this fall and plan to overwinter them in the garage. My question is what type of potting medium should I use in the pots? All I can find is potting soil with fetilizer that lasts 3 months such as Miracle Grow. Is this all right to use? Thank you for any advice.

Carey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting medium for clematis

If the plants are dormant, then the fertilizer shouldn't cause any issues. Miracle Grow or Scotts potting medias all have fertilizer and that is what I have used when potting up clematis to overwinter in their pots. Just leave the pots outside until the plants are dormant due to them having several frosts. Once that happens and the temps. start staying consistently cold, move the pots into the garage assuming it is not heated. An ideal temp range is so that the pots don't freeze but stay around 35 to 40 degrees. Luckily for me, I have had success just allowing the pots to sit on the ground outside over the winter. Another option is to bury the pots in holes in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here