Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Look At What My Neighbor Bought Me....

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I got an unexpected surprise today. My nice weekend neighbor and gardening friend (whose favorite flower is Lthe clematis), went to town today and bought me the plant I've been wanting to get: a sweet autumn clematis! Here are some pictures I took before I started (and I still am!) untangling it from the little trellis it's on. I do have one question: is it the true sweet autumn? Or is it virginiana?

Leaves:

{{gwi:625341}}

Plant:

{{gwi:356179}}

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (7)

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Check out the link for some info. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginiana or Sweet Autumn?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link, kentstar! I saw on an older post that someone asked the same question and their plant's leaves looked exactly like mine. The verdict: it was SAC. The picture of the stem in the link looks like the ones on my plant too. I saw a picture of the SAC seedheads online and they look exactly like mine!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a picture I just took of it planted in the ground (yesterday).

{{gwi:625344}}

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• kentstar
    13 years ago

To me, it looks more like you have virginiana. Are all the leaves smooth edged or serrated? If serrated, then you probably have virginiana, but who knows? I guess you'll have to wait and see what next year brings!
    I had bought an "SAC" or what I thought was one last year from an online vendor. It sat there all this season and didn't grow but a foot!
    So, I shovel pruned the loser, and bought one from Joy Creek. What a difference already!! It has grown quite a bunch in the 3 months it's been in the ground, has already bloomed some for me in it's first year, and looks like an SAC (all smooth edged leaves, no serrations).
    Good Luck in any case, and just enjoy! :)

Heres a pic of what I thought was an SAC (this is as big as it got all summer ):
    {{gwi:614547}}

See how some of the leaves are serrated or lobed?

{{gwi:614546}}

Now, here's a pic of my SAC from Joy Creek:

{{gwi:625347}}

Another of the SAC, note how the leaves are smooth edged:

{{gwi:625349}}

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kentstar, the leaves look like virginiana, but the seeds look like they belong to SAC. I'm terribly confused!

Here's a link to that post I was referring to, about how SAC can have similar leaves to virginiana. One of the last posts said that SAC can have those kind of leaves.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Autumn Clematis/Virginiana Comparisons

• kentstar
    13 years ago

You will have to see when it blooms I guess. I think Virgins Bower blooms sooner in the year than terniflora. See below too. There are so many sites about both that contradict eachother too lol, so oh well. As long as it grows well, blooms wonderfully for you who cares right? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Virgin's Bower

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess that is the only way I can tell which one it is when it blooms. That's the easiest since I read virginiana doesn't have a fragrance, but of course some people who planted a SAC reported no fragrance as well. Thanks again, kentstar!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz