Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How did everyones clems do this year? Pics? :)

Posted by kentstar 5b, NE Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 16:38

I am already missing the garden growth and blooming. I thought that it might be nice to hear how everyone's clems did for them this year. Mine were just planted this year except for 3 which are still "creeping" along.
I planted this year:
Sweet Autumn
Dr Ruppel
Beauty of Worcester
2 Henryi's
Earnest Markham

2nd year clems are:
Franziska Maria
Josephine
Crystal Fountain

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How did everyones clems do this year? Pics? :)

hello
I have a C armandii in the backyard, now for the second season. Optimistically I fixed a climbing line up an elm tree. And this summer it grew about 4m/ 12 feet and reached the tree canopy. So I am hoping for a great flower display come next spring.

Cheers Lin

o

You said this was the second season for your plant - what was the height the first year?

My Clematis grew to about 5 feet with large white blooms - not sure what variety it was. I am trying to harvest the seeds when they are ready for some friends who would love to plant them around mailboxes and fences.

o

Lots of rain and fewer hot days than normal. I think my clems were happy. My two new Venosa Violacea reached over 8' following a fall '08 planting. One is still blooming even after a hard frost has killed all the annuals and browned most perennials.

Photobucket

Betty Corning bloomed continuously from June through September. I need to find a way to keep her pruned because she is so thick I can't walk through my arbor. She shares space with two Westerland roses.

Photobucket

Rhapsody is slowly making progress with three flushes this year.
Photobucket

o

harryshoe, how do you like Westerland? I just planted one this spring and can't wait to see what she looks like next year. Must be gorgeous! I have westerland planted with Franziska Maria. I hope they both do well. Westerland hasn't bloomed for me yet but grew out a long 8 ft cane! It was comepletely disease free for me! No spraying, no nothing!

Westerland rose September 2009 first year growth NE Ohio

o

Kentstar,
Westerland is a monster here. No winter dieback means it can get really big. Last spring I pruned down to 3' in order to keep him on the arbor. With Westerland and Betty Corning, I simply need a bigger arbor.

Photobucket

o

Here are a few of our clematis from this year's garden. Hope you enjoy.

Ashva with Porcelain Vine:

Young Multiblue:

C. chiisanensis 'Lemon Bells' with Belinda's Dream:

Blekitny Aniol:

Arabella:

Comtesse de Bouchaud with Veilchenblau and Cl. Blaze roses:

Sue

o

Gorgeous! Thankyou!
All of mine are either creeping or sleeping lol. My crystal fountain is the only one that showed me a llttle hint of what she can do. Here's crystal fountain:

Photobucket

o

Seattlesuze, your garden looks outstanding. Mine is a fried crunchy mess. I did not properly dig up and amend the soil when I started planting fifteen years ago and many of my Clems have heavy competition from Douglas fir and arborvitea roots (neighbor's on fencelines) Our summer was hot and drier than normal and we were remodeling our house and I'm too embarrassed to show pics.

Do you have a pic of your porcelain vine with berries??? I just saw my first mature specimen this fall and it was amazing. I didn't know that teal was a color really found in nature.

o

It was a great year for my clematis. We had a wet spring followed by a warm dry summer. The type 2 were all a month late and the type 3 were early. It made for a very showy June and July. The flowers on my Nelly were huge, and it was loaded with buds. Here is a photo blooming with one of it's self-sown seedlings.

Nelly Moser

o

I usually lurk, but this community has really helped me learn how to take care of my little clems! Hopefully next year I'll be able to plant clems of my own, rather than obsessing over the ones I buy for my mother!

Polish spirit, 3rd year, started from a tiny little 4" pot! It reached about 6 feet this year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Everyones clems are beautiful...it makes me miss summer so much!!
Here are a few of my clems this year....some seemed to do very well and others just so, so.
Etoile Violette
CLEMATIS ETOILE VIOLETTE 2009JUL

Finally go some blooms on this clem.
CLEMATIS HAKU OOKAN 2009JUL

A gift from a friend
CLEMATIS JOUINIANA 2009AUG

Warsaw Nike with lilies
CLEMATIS WARSAW NIKE 2009JUL
flora

o

Hello fellow Rosarians. I see some familar names in here. Guess what I'm doing? Thinking colors of Clematis to go with my roses.

o

Yum!! Thanks for the eye candy!
-B

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here