Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

How did everyones clems do this year? Pics? :)

kentstar
14 years ago

I am already missing the garden growth and blooming. I thought that it might be nice to hear how everyone's clems did for them this year. Mine were just planted this year except for 3 which are still "creeping" along.

I planted this year:

Sweet Autumn

Dr Ruppel

Beauty of Worcester

2 Henryi's

Earnest Markham

2nd year clems are:

Franziska Maria

Josephine

Crystal Fountain

Comments (13)

• linaria_gw
    14 years ago

hello
    I have a C armandii in the backyard, now for the second season. Optimistically I fixed a climbing line up an elm tree. And this summer it grew about 4m/ 12 feet and reached the tree canopy. So I am hoping for a great flower display come next spring.

Cheers Lin

• donna52479
    14 years ago

You said this was the second season for your plant - what was the height the first year?

My Clematis grew to about 5 feet with large white blooms - not sure what variety it was. I am trying to harvest the seeds when they are ready for some friends who would love to plant them around mailboxes and fences.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

Lots of rain and fewer hot days than normal. I think my clems were happy. My two new Venosa Violacea reached over 8' following a fall '08 planting. One is still blooming even after a hard frost has killed all the annuals and browned most perennials.

{{gwi:587940}}

Betty Corning bloomed continuously from June through September. I need to find a way to keep her pruned because she is so thick I can't walk through my arbor. She shares space with two Westerland roses.

{{gwi:212238}}

Rhapsody is slowly making progress with three flushes this year.
    {{gwi:586776}}

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

harryshoe, how do you like Westerland? I just planted one this spring and can't wait to see what she looks like next year. Must be gorgeous! I have westerland planted with Franziska Maria. I hope they both do well. Westerland hasn't bloomed for me yet but grew out a long 8 ft cane! It was comepletely disease free for me! No spraying, no nothing!

{{gwi:342348}}

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

Kentstar,
    Westerland is a monster here. No winter dieback means it can get really big. Last spring I pruned down to 3' in order to keep him on the arbor. With Westerland and Betty Corning, I simply need a bigger arbor.

{{gwi:222609}}

• seattlesuze
    14 years ago

Here are a few of our clematis from this year's garden. Hope you enjoy.

Ashva with Porcelain Vine:
    {{gwi:625409}}

{{gwi:625410}}

Young Multiblue:
    {{gwi:625411}}

C. chiisanensis 'Lemon Bells' with Belinda's Dream:
    {{gwi:625413}}

Blekitny Aniol:
    {{gwi:625414}}

Arabella:
    {{gwi:625416}}

Comtesse de Bouchaud with Veilchenblau and Cl. Blaze roses:
    {{gwi:306514}}

Sue

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! Thankyou!
    All of mine are either creeping or sleeping lol. My crystal fountain is the only one that showed me a llttle hint of what she can do. Here's crystal fountain:

{{gwi:625419}}

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Seattlesuze, your garden looks outstanding. Mine is a fried crunchy mess. I did not properly dig up and amend the soil when I started planting fifteen years ago and many of my Clems have heavy competition from Douglas fir and arborvitea roots (neighbor's on fencelines) Our summer was hot and drier than normal and we were remodeling our house and I'm too embarrassed to show pics.

Do you have a pic of your porcelain vine with berries??? I just saw my first mature specimen this fall and it was amazing. I didn't know that teal was a color really found in nature.

• flowerfan2
    14 years ago

It was a great year for my clematis. We had a wet spring followed by a warm dry summer. The type 2 were all a month late and the type 3 were early. It made for a very showy June and July. The flowers on my Nelly were huge, and it was loaded with buds. Here is a photo blooming with one of it's self-sown seedlings.

{{gwi:625030}}

• gladahmae
    14 years ago

I usually lurk, but this community has really helped me learn how to take care of my little clems! Hopefully next year I'll be able to plant clems of my own, rather than obsessing over the ones I buy for my mother!

Polish spirit, 3rd year, started from a tiny little 4" pot! It reached about 6 feet this year.

{{gwi:625422}}

{{gwi:625425}}

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Everyones clems are beautiful...it makes me miss summer so much!!
    Here are a few of my clems this year....some seemed to do very well and others just so, so.
    Etoile Violette
    {{gwi:625426}}

Finally go some blooms on this clem.
    {{gwi:625427}}

A gift from a friend
    {{gwi:625428}}

Warsaw Nike with lilies
    {{gwi:625429}}
    flora

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Hello fellow Rosarians. I see some familar names in here. Guess what I'm doing? Thinking colors of Clematis to go with my roses.

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Yum!! Thanks for the eye candy!
    -B