Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horrible Order From Chalk Hill

Posted by organic_kitten 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 21, 08 at 17:02

I ordered 12 clematis the second week after the going out of business sale was announced. They were all supposed to be in stock when I placed the order. A Chalk Hills order was delievered today. Of the twelve different clematis I ordered, they sent two.

I specifically marked no substitutions. They not only sent almost all substitutions, but apparently what was left over. I got duplicates of three different, clematis. Harlow Carr, Proteus, and Patricia Ann Fretwell. They sent a very ugly one to me (My Angel). None of the special ones I ordered were sent. Instead of Broughton Star, they sent a a white Montana that I will not plant. Some of these will be shovel pruned to begin with.

In my opinion, Chalk Hills went out of business much later than they should have. WhaT HORRIBLE SERVICE! Pitiful plants. The proteus smelled rotten, looked dead and had one dead appearing single vine.

I was so excited when I ordered them, and now I wish I had never heard of them.

kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horrible Order From Chalk Hill

Kay, I would NOT be happy either if I had received such an order, not in the least! Of course, with living in Canada, I have never ordered from them, though am sorry to hear of your BAD experience ...

Terry

o

Wow, I think I would be calling or sending an email back to them to let them know of what you got and how you did not get what you ordered and were given substitutions when you did not say you would accept them. Then I would call my credit card company and contest the charges. It sounds as if you had a horrible first and last experience with them.

o

Thank you so much for your responses.

I really believe that the person who was "filling (HA!)" the order did the entire thing very deliberately. I ordered on June 21st, and my credit card was charged then. I got the order four months later. Credit card companies will not go back that far to correct a flagrant abuse.

My only choice is to let the whole thing be a lesson, put on my big girl panties and deal with it.

Some of the leftovers I will keep. Some of them I will trash. A very expensive lesson learned.

On the other hand, I have ordered from a couple of other vendors recommended here and gotten excellent service with beautiful plants, so I will try to deal with the known.

kay

o

Kay, if you let the credit card company know when you ordered the clematis and that the charges were made then and that the clematis were not shipped until later and provide them with the appropriate documentation, then I don't believe the 4 months should be an issue. If it were me, I would at least give it a try.

Over the years, I have ordered clematis from Chalk Hill and for the most part was pleased with what I received. There were occasional plants that died outright after receipt that were replaced for me and there were a couple that had less than stellar root systems, one of which died a slow death and others which finally flourished. I have a sneaking suspicion that the person who was the nursery manager at Chalk Hill for years is no longer there and that the orders are being filled by "new" employees or employees that are doing the biding of the actual owners of the nursery. Murray Rosen, the mannager of Chalk Hill who always tried to resolve issues with disgruntled customers, would never have let pathetic plants be shipped or allowed substitutions that the customers had not authorized.

o

Thank you so much for your advice. I have the original orders still on the computer where the statement "Your credit card will be charged now and your plants will be tagged sold" is included. Some of the plants appear pretty healthy. The one Proteus stinks, and is dead. Several others appear on their last legs.

I will send the info to my credit card company. I have ordered an amazing amount of plants this summer, and I have been very happy with almost everything.

These clematis were the first large plant order I had ever made. I guess I was expecting the wonderful customer service to continue through the end, and you are probably right, underlings are shipping whatever to the remaining customers.

Thank you again for your advice, I think I will take it. (But to be honest, I doubt there is much to "back out" for Visa as long as Chalk Hills has been "going out of business").

kay

o

Many credit card companies will do chargebacks up to six months after the purchase.

You certainly should call your bank.

o

Kay, First of all have you tried to call Chalk Hill? I would ask to speak to Murray and explain to him that you specified no subs. He is a fair and honest person and hopefully will credit you for the subs you did not order.
Arlene

o

I've NEVER had a problem with ChalkHill ..I received my order and it was awesome as usual...Jeanne

o

I also was lucky and received exactly what I had ordered and have no complaints at all about the quality. It's surprising how much the quality apparently differed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here