Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lostmermaid_gw

Trade seeds anyone?

lostmermaid
15 years ago

Anyone willing to trade seeds?

Yes I am aware they do not come true to type. I am willing to take the chance that I get something special.

I have to trade:

Julia

Mrs N Thompson

Pamiat Serdsta

Zion Inspiration

Twilight

Ken Donson

Artic Queen

Daniel deronda

Royalty

Durandii

Petit Faucon

Medley

Blue Boy

Fireworks

Macropetala

Gazelle

Integrifolia

Candida

and a few more to come if I actually go out and look. Plus I have seeds I know I put somewhere ?...

My wish list is:

(top of my wish list and not a short list either. One can only hope....)

Viorna

Sir Trevor Lawrence

Rosy O'Grady

Rooguchi

Red Beetroot Beauty

Pastel Pink

Kasmu

Kaiu

Ianthina

Hanajima

(next on my wish list)

tentel

tango

Sylvia Denny

Tage Lundell

Silver Moon

Ruby

Moonlight

Minuet

Lord Nevill

Kirimae

Kiri te Kanawa

John Warren

Jacqueline du Pre

Ivan Olsson

Graveyete Beauty

Etoile Rose

Ekstra

Columella

Chiisanenis 'Lemon bells'

Buckland Beauty

Broughton Bride

Brunette

Betty Corning

Bees Jublilee

Andromeda

Albina Plena

Fusca

Dana

Yes I am in Canada but have not had trouble sending seeds across the border before. In fact I just received a live plant from the US, a fellow in the Amaryllis forum-Thanks Chaz.

Comments (14)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Dana, I have viorna and what is either ianthina or fusca. I have both plants side by side and it is hard to tell what is what. I think that fusca blooms earlier than ianthina and the seeds were off the plant that bloomed later in the season. To be quite honest I honestly can't tell that much of a difference between the flowers on the two plants and both look more like ianthina blooms than fusca blooms since ianthina is more purple and fusca has always shown up as more of a brown with some very dark purple hints.
    Here is what buds on both plants start out looking like and what they end up looking like.
    {{gwi:581676}}
    {{gwi:583266}}
    {{gwi:580291}}
    {{gwi:580294}}

Wish you had posted earlier about Hanajima since I had seeds of those put planted them and have two germinations so far. Betty Corning has sterile pollen so the only way you could get seeds from her is if she was crosspollinated by another clematis. Had tons of blooms on Kaiu but no seeds this year.

Any interest in addisonii?
    {{gwi:580256}}

Off your list I would like any of the integrifolia varieties you have--especially Blue Boy since I supposedly bought it and it looks nothing like Blue Boy--more like just integrifolia. I like starting integrifolias since they are reasaonably easy to start and seem to germinate faster than a lot of the other type IIIs.

Let me know!

• lostmermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would love to trade. Any that you have to spare.
    I just pulled seeds from the seedling of Pitcheri (which is still flowering today) that I got and started from you.

Would you happen to have glaucophelia (that the right spelling?) seeds. Mom got hers to germinate, planted it outside and the rabbits ate it. So far it has not come back but you never know.......

You are right about the macropetala's being easy to germinate. I have many Gazelle, purple spider, blue dancer, markham's pink seedlings started. About 30 germinations in all this spring. Undecided whether I should keep them going over the winter or not. I don't think I will have space with all the hippestreums

So to add to my list of available seeds:
    Blue Dancer, Markham's Pink, Wada's Primrose is almost ready along with limited Princess Diana. Duchess of Edinburgh/multi blue, Terniflora. And of course the seeds from the seedling Pitcheri (next to Plena Elegans, Comtesse De Buchard and an early purple).

From 2007 I still have seeds from:
    Ascotiensis
    Alpina Constance
    Carnaby -- will have 08 soon
    Crimson King
    Dawn
    Duchess of Edinburgh-- will have 08 soon but mixed with multi blue
    Dr Ruppel
    Gillian blades -- 08 soon
    Harlow Carr -limited
    Mrs cholmondeley - limited
    Nelly Moser -- soon 08
    Macropetala (seedling from Nova Scotia)- white double similar to Markham's Pink
    {{gwi:625830}}
    Rosemoor
    rouge Cardinal
    Sugar Candy-- soon 08

I still have 06 Texensis.

Thanks Miguel.

I discovered a sprout from Polish Spirit seeds that I started in the vermiculite last December. Lots from Wada's Primrose as well. I am impressed that the large flowering germinated in less than a year. Mind you I hung the baggies in the greenhouse all summer. Lots of light and heat!

dana

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Oops, sorry Dana. Didn't see your response. I will have a few extra glaucophylla seeds that I can send as well. I also have some Piilu seeds that you might be interested in. At least I think that they are Piilu since I have it and Proteus planted together. I think they are more likely Piilu since it bloomed more prolifically, later into the season, and higher on the plant.

I also have a mix of viorna, glaucophylla, and pitcheri seeds that came from three plants planted with each other. I can't tell which seed is which and they may have crossed with each other so who knows what might come out of them.

I will probably be ready by the end of October to send them on. Send me your mailing address and I will send them on when they are ready for shipment.

My address is as follows when you are ready to ship:

Miguel E. Viso
    1135 Matthews Place Lane
    Kernersville, NC 27284 USA

Now if I can just find some seed starting mixture I will be set. Previously I have just used a commercially available potting mixture to start my seeds in but I think that it maintains too much moisture and that the seeds or seedlings rot. I can't even find vermiculite in the stores around here right now. I may be forced to mail order some seed starting mixture from Parks Seeds.

• lostmermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a 20 lb bag of perilite insulation from a home building supply store today. Not Home Depot or Lowes type building supply. Try a commercial or contractor source store. Ask for attic vermiculite or perilite insulation (this is the type that we blow into our attics for winter insulation). Since you are mostly warm in the winter you may not have a ready source but try, maybe if they are a national chain they can order it in from the north for you? Also try inground swimming pool installation companies. I hear that they mix it with the cement for the bottom of the pools, somehow makes it lighter?? If not, when I send the seeds I will include a pound or so. I bought the course stuff that you liked (in a picture) in an earlier thread.

A month or so ago I went to Lowes' and scooped up 77 clematis they had on sale. I talked the manager into a better deal and ended up with all of them, tags or not. I think I now have about 15 Piilu. No, I will not plant them here but will include them in next year's garden designs. I picked them up for a song at $2.25 per 5" pot! Talk about root bound.
    I also found out that the grower cuts woody stems late in the season and uses #3 rooting hormone.
    I got about 5 Negritianka to root. See what happens over the winter.

Dana

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Dana, thanks for the info and for the telephone call last night. It was nice to actually talk to someone I have been conversing with via emails. I will check around and see if I can find any vermiculite and/or perlite at the places you suggested. If not, I will let you know. Don't forget to send your mailing address so I will have it on hand when the seeds are ready to send.

Great deal on the clematis from Lowes. I am sure your clients will enjoy them next year. I can see why you might not want Piilu seeds but then again who knows what may come out of seeds from it since it is a hybrid. It could also have crossed with who knows what in the garden. If you change your mind about the Piilu seeds just let me know.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Dana while running around today I was able to find both seed starting media and perlite. I started 4 types of seeds in the seed starting media and some of the same in baggies with vermiculite to compare germination rates. The perlite sure makes it easy to see the seeds in the baggies.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

OOPs. Change that vermiculite to perlite in the second sentence. No vermiculite found--just perlite.

• Joan Dupuis
    15 years ago

OMG Dana, your white double Macropetala is beautiful. If you have any extra seeds, I'd love a few.

I have:
    Dawn
    Bonanza
    Omoshiro
    Ville de Lyon
    Seedling of Minuet
    A mystery viticella
    Rhapsody
    Etoile Violet

Looking forward to hearing either way. Thanks.

Joan

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

Miguel, I've gotten large bags of vermiculite mail order from Peaceful Valley (groworganic.com) in the past. Shipping is not too expensive as it's so light.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Thanks Michael. I believe you told me about that source earlier this year or last year. If I decide that perlite won't work I will have to go to that site and bookmark it for future reference.

• lostmermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Miguel

You must have had an incredible year for flowers. Thanks so much for all the seeds. You were very generous!

Can't wait to see what I get!!!

Your are on the way, I sent them out Thursday I think.

Dana

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Your seeds arrived today Dana and thanks for them. Will plant them in a week or two. Leaving on a week long cruise in the Caribbean on the 7th of November so they might have to wait until after I get back.

Yep, certain of the clematis produced tons of seeds this year. You wouldn't believe the number of seeds I have collected off my texensis. I am sending quite a few to Dan at Brushwood Nursery to see if he can get them up and growing to offer as clematis on his website. The color on it is just stupendous in my opinion.

• sunnymicrobe
    15 years ago

Mr. Miguel, I have followed this conversation with great interest. I have grown several large flowered hybrids that I found locally at Lowes. I am fascinated by some of the pictures that you posted. I am very interested in growing species clematis from seed. Other than Sweet autumn clematis, I do not have any species clematis. I am looking for seeds of viorna,texensis,addisonii,glaucophylla and fusca/ianthina. If you have any extra seeds this fall please consider sending some to me. I will send you a SASE. The clematis that I have are: comte de bouchard,etoile violet,duchess of albany and sweet autumn clematis. Thank you very much.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Sent you an email sunnymicrobe. Get back with me late summer and I will see what I have available.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio