Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wintering little broken clematis

Posted by ggrumke z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 21:13

I just purchased an unlabeled clematis in a quart pot for a dollar. The stem is bent over, not quite broken. I am looking for advice--if this was a healthier clematis, I would plant out doors right now. I am a little concerned since it doesn't have foliage below the bend in the stem. Can I put it in a pot and grow indoors, leave in the garage, or go ahead and plant outside in the garden?
Advice appreciated.
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wintering little broken clematis

I'm no expert, but have grown quite a few clematis and I've overwintered frail ones under lights in the house and also planted them out in early fall and left them to fend for themselves in our bitter winters. Both methods have been successful. If the clem has a chance to develop a good root systemin zone 6 that shouldn't be a problemthere's every reason to think it will sprout for you in the spring. I'd make a nice big hole and fill it with good soil and plenty of compost to make the roots feel welcome. Also plant it a couple of inches below the soil line (from where it was in the pot). GarystPaul

o

Thanks Gary, planting right now outside is my preference. I will go ahead and put it outside--if is doesn't make it I am only out a dollar.

o

I would plant it outside now, make sure you plant it deeper than it is in the pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here