Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cut the clematis for winter or not?

Posted by butterfly_friend 4 & 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 2, 06 at 21:43

I have had 5 different kinds of clematis growing on an arbor for about five years now. My father in law always cuts his before the frost hits. I have never cut mine, should I? Does it get fuller or bloom better? I finally got it to go completely up and over so the arbor is completely covered, I am scared that I would have to start all over again. Does anyone have any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cut the clematis for winter or not?

Pruning a clematis is never a requirement - all forms will grow perfectly well without ever seeing pruning shears :-) However, you may get better bloom and certainly a fuller plant if you do prune. When and how is determined more by type of clematis and your location, but for the more common hybrid forms in colder climates, I'd leave any serious pruning until late winter/early spring.

o

"I finally got it to go completely up and over so the arbor is completely covered, I am scared that I would have to start all over again. Does anyone have any advice?"
That is great..but, do you get blooms all over from the ground up or just on top?...Pruning type 3s which are hard pruned.. bloom on vines that are new and produced that season..most likely that is the reason why he prunes them...if yours is blooming on previous years growth ..then you clematis most likely is a pruning type 2 and shouldn't be pruned except to keep in bounds...knowing the name of your clematis would help to advise you how to prune..I am in agreement with GG..I hard prune mine late winter/early spring, which for me is Mid February..same time I prune my roses...Jeanne

o

"I finally got it to go completely up and over so the arbor is completely covered, I am scared that I would have to start all over again. Does anyone have any advice?"
That is great..but, do you get blooms all over from the ground up or just on top?...Pruning type 3s which are hard pruned.. bloom on vines that are new and produced that season..most likely that is the reason why he prunes them...if yours is blooming on previous years growth ..then you clematis most likely is a pruning type 2 and shouldn't be pruned except to keep in bounds...knowing the name of your clematis would help to advise you how to prune..I am in agreement with GG..I hard prune mine late winter/early spring, which for me is Mid February..same time I prune my roses...Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here