Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis failure

Posted by luvidaho_2010 5/6 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 23:02

I have tried in the past to grow clematis, I have done in several of the little darlings. I would like to try again but want to be successful this time.
I have quite sandy soil, I have amended an area for a new flower bed with aged horse manure, straw, and compost. The new bed should be ready to plant in by spring. I am building a 6X4 ft arbor over a path in the amended area. I want to plant a clematis on 2 sides, North & South exposure.
I would appreciate suggestions for a variety that would be hardy in my zone and resilient, given my clematis history.
I also read in another thread that some growers put several clematis on one trellis, would 4 be too many?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis failure

I have had success with Etoile Violette. Very dark purple blooms, and a TON of them. Rooguchi is also lovely. Also dark purple, it continues to bloom over a very long period. Never exactly covered in blooms like Etoile, but always something there. Betty Corning is also a long blooming, hearty plant. I am very fond of Ville de Lyon, which I've mistreated and it has not slowed down, and one that is newish to me, but seems like a real sturdy plant is Venosa violacea. I love the blooms and it seems like it's ready to really take over. It sems like the vitacellas really have a will to live, and I've also had good luck with the texensis varieties.
I don't think 4 would be too many for your arbor, but that will depend on which ones you choose. A lot of us plant pretty close.

o

Thank you for the help, I'll look for the varieties you mentioned. The Etoile sounds great!
I have noticed that a lot of the threads mention planting pretty close, I have until spring to decide.

o

I have Etoile Violette, Polish Spirit, Betty Corning, Venosa Violacea, Ville de Lyon, Rouge Cardinal, Prince Charles, Princess Diana. The first four are more vigorous and grow larger for me. Polish Spirit blooms far longer than Etoile Violette.

Heavily amended and worked soil has been key for me. In areas of clay with tree roots, Clems have struggled for me. In beds where the entire space was rototilled and composted before anything was planted they have taken off.

o

I hope that I will be more successful with the amended soil, I did not do this in the past. Hubby got a bit tired of my adding layers and tilling, but he stuck with it. There are no existing plants around the new bed so competition shouldn't be a problem.
Thank you both for your input, I drool over other peoples beautiful clematis. I am hoping to have some to show off next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here