Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I kill my clematis?

Posted by fillagirl 3 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 9:58

I was preparing my yard for winter yesterday, and went to tear down some vines from my Perle D'azur clematis, which I just planted this summer. I wasn't planning on pruning, just looked and thought I'd pull off the vines from the trellis.

I ripped too hard and took the woody stem right out at ground level!! Yikes, have I killed this clematis? I am so sad, it was so beautiful....

Based on your experience/expertise with clematis, what do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I kill my clematis?

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 11:45

It should come back next spring. Mulch the area and protect it just as you would if the vine was still there. Clematis should be cut back severely the first couple of years to encourage more vines from the ground.

o

You probably did it some good! I had planted a Crystal Foutain a couple years ago and accidentally chopped it off to a 6 inch stump, no leaves, no flowers, nothing but a bare stick in the mud. I just kept it watered like it was still going to grow lol. The next year it came back like gangbusters!

o

No, you didn't kill it. Pruning helps Clematis.

o

I hope you're all correct, but I did yank on it and it came right off, nothing left above ground and it was quite a thick woody stem.

I guess I'll have to wait until next spring to find out if I killed it or helped it!!! Thanks for all responses.

o

That Clematis is a Type III hard prune every year.

All Clematis should be hard pruned their first couple of years to get them off to a good start.

You didn't kill it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here