Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Transplant to Pots now for next Spring when I Move?

Posted by nanaclaire 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 10:44

I love my clematis and it bothers me to leave them here when I went through all the love and patience to see these grow. Can I cut these back, dig them up, put them in pots and then replant them in the Spring? We are moving next year... don't know when, but most likely it will be sometime before May.

Most of my plants (if not all) are going dormant now here in Michigan ... is it safe to dig them up and pot them? I'm doing this with most of my perennials, rose bushes, etc. I know how hard clematis can be to grow and would hate to kill them by doing this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Transplant to Pots now for next Spring when I Move?

IMHO they are living things, which will work very hard to remain so. I have rarely had a plant not make it through a transplant and move, and I've had my fair share. I'd suggest going ahead with the transplant. Good luck.

o

Why don't you just dig them up in April or May, before you move? Then you're not subjecting the plant to further shock by also trying to make it through winter in a pot?

o

I'd say you should get it out of the ground in the spring, before it breaks dormancy. In a pot for the winter you run the risk of it dehydrating, or getting its roots frozen and killed.

Good luck! I think they'll survive being moved no problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here