Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaimeg_gw

Cannot move container - how to winter?

jaimeg
15 years ago

I have three clematis that I planted in spring in a VERY large container that I cannot move (cedar box measuring about 14 inches x about 8 feet). I have never worked with clematis and all three broke during initial planting, all three recovered and grew into their trellises, THEN we had a horrible wind storm (thanks, Ike) and two of the three broke again...one only has about 3 inches of growth. The other has nothing (may be dead). One that survived the wind storm is in the trellis. So with winter coming up (after such a rough season for them) I'm wondering what to do with them, since I can't move the container to the garage. I can't find the tag, but the flowers are pink and the name was some type of candy name (I'm not sure that helps...and it said "great for containers") Ok, so do I dig the one up that is not in a trellis and the "dead" one and put them in a pot in the garage (using tips found here)? What about the one in the trellis? Do I cut off the growth and put with the others - or leave out to face the winter in the container? Any suggestions would be great...and I'm going to keep looking for that tag with the exact name.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I would have left them in the container. Clematis are not tropical/tender plants. They likely would be just fine with some mulch.

• jaimeg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I haven't done anything yet...so just mulch them and leave them alone?

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

If it were my climate they would likely perish, given that the pot will get as cold as the surrounding air, but in Kentucky I would probably leave them alone as well. After all, the point was an easy care container plant, right? If they do fine this way, let us know which one it was.

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

There isn't a lot of information available about over-wintering clematis in pots in the colder zones. The general rule of thumb for most plants is it should be hardy to 2 zones colder than your zone. That would mean most clematis will survive winter in a pot outdoors in your zone. You have to make sure the soil doesn't dry out and that it drains well, and if the plant heaves, gently push it back into the soil.

I've put very small clematis, at least ten, but probably more, in the ground right before winter hit and they survived. I even had 2 clematis that had an inch of water on top of the soil for over a month that survived.

I'm testing a clematis in a pot this winter. It's in a big pot, planted early September. The clematis is small. I haven't decided yet if I will put it against a fence, where it will get mostly shade, or in the garage. In my zone, my attached garage is rarely warmer than it is outside, which is good in a way because the temperature doesn't fluctuate much so there won't be a lot of thawing and freezing.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I had a clematis in a large pot for two years which I overwintered in my unheated garage. Last year's low temp was about 20 degrees. We are told that plants in pots in our area will not survive outside. I bring several potted plants and pots of bulbs into the garage for the winter and all have made it to grow again in the spring.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    15 years ago

I've seen suggestions to use bubble wrap to help insulate potted plants over the winter. I've never done it myself and don't know whether it works, or whether you want to go to that trouble, but it seems to me that it might help buffer some of the temperature changes during winter. For what it's worth.

• granny216
    15 years ago

I have just joined this forum but have been gaining a ton of info for a no. of years.....has helped me become addicted a long time ago.......after having some clems planted because I needed to cover a fence my neighbors put up!! only asked what the climbing purple flowers were and said plant them. didn't know what I was getting into,[nor what kind were planted]

I had been trying to find out how to overwinter some clems in large containers....last year I put some insulation around one in a wine barrel planter....it was thin silver insulation that I wrapped around about 3 or 4 times.[ the whole roll of insulation] I had bought as unmarked..turned out to be hagley hybrid...they came up this spring and did great...flowered nearly all summer....now I have 2 wooden planters that are about 16 inches by about 3 feet....last year I took them up and planted in the ground....then in spring replanted in planters....this year I have just wrapped them in the insulation... I'll see how they do...
    all of the ones I had planted in these containers had not made it the year before.[the first year in planters].

thanks to all for all your good info.....and now that I have decided I have no more space, Koi gardens comes up with a sale!!!!

• yardmom
    15 years ago

I have never overwintered clematis in pots, but I have overwintered other plants and they have done fine. Big pots or planters should not be a problem in zone 6 (and I would guess you are in the warmer part of zone 6). Yes, there is some freeze and thaw, but there is in the ground as well. I would just leave them out just the way they are.
    BUT, like I said, I have never overwintered potted clematis.

• robinva
    15 years ago

I live in zone 6. There are 8 potted clems on my deck. They have survived every winter with no winter protection except a little mulch.

Robin

• granny216
    14 years ago

Just to let you all know that the three clems in pots, which I wrapped in insulaation have survived and are doing great!!Buds on the 2 climador, one doing better as is in more sun....HH is climbing away.....those are the only ones in containers, so not a big problem wrapping them....I'll continue to do that and hope they keep on surviving......and yes I bought ten from Koi [they came Monday and have them planted. some still coming] and 3 from Donahue.....I WILL quit buying now Ruth