Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Autumn Clematis Seed

Posted by seamommy 7bTX (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 16, 09 at 13:21

I couldn't find anything specific about this, but I'm wondering about sprouting this seed. Naturally I have a lot of it and I wouldn't want all of them to sprout, but I'd love to get some new plants. I have a couple of questions.

Is there any way to tell if the seeds are fertile before going to the trouble of starting them?

How long does it need to be chilled?
I was going to place them in the refrigerator since our winters can be mild here.

How long is the germination period?
I tried to start some of my large-flowered clems last Spring and didn't have a lot of success. But I didn't have any way to proof the fertility of the seeds.

Does this seed come true?
I know that the hybrid clems can cross with other hybs if they are close by, but is that also true for the Sweet Autumn?

I'm sorry if these questions are redundant, but I checked out the FAQs and the links I could find in other posts and really didn't see much on Sweet Autumn.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Autumn Clematis Seed

Ken Druse's book on propagation says the following about clematis in general: "Seed-moist cold 2 to 5 months depending on species, sow indoors (70 to 75 degrees) (germination 30-365 days depending on the species).

I can tell you that I have had pretty good results with other seeds that come up in unexpected places by sowing them into pots in the fall and leaving them outside to the rain and cold all winter. In the spring I begin watering and they will often come up, sometimes even before I begin watering. If you have an ongoing supply of seed, it's worth a try. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here