Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

Which clematis for pergola?

v1rt
13 years ago

Hi everyone, it's my first time to post on this forum. I recently build a 20x10 pergola. Next spring, a friend of mine will give me a clematis but I forgot to ask which variety.

Are there clematis that can fill the pergola similar to the one I built? How many years before it can fill it in?

Here is the patio/pergola I recently completed.

{{gwi:432047}}

Comments (22)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone please? I see other threads getting answered, hehehe :P I'll wait and also no rush. Thanks in advance!

• Julia WV (6b)
    13 years ago

I recently asked the same question and got alot of great advice. I started out looking for a blue and a white but after all the great suggestions, I think I will mix in a few more. There is also a comment in the thread about needing something for the clematis to climb on. Great tips from the folks here on the forum.

Here is a link which might help.

Julia

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis for Pergola

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Julia! :)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm going to look at Huldine, Betty Corning and Polish Spirit and good vigorous Clems as is Venosa Violacea. I remember a GW user named woodyoak told me about Betty Corning in Vines forum. I'll call the nursery again today and ask if they have this. They're selling each for $5. Is that a good deal?

• bob414
    13 years ago

Depends on the size of the container. If they have a good root system it's a good deal even in a smaller container. If it's gallon size and you can see roots through the drainage holes it's a very good deal.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum - you will find lots of help here. You're going to need some big clems, and Julia is right; you'll need to loosely wrap those supports with some sort of mesh that the clems can climb up. Some of my largest clems have been mentioned, like Huldine, but another huge one for me is Sweet Autumn, which blooms much later than most of my others. You'll need to pay attention to pruning types and put the same ones together so it's easier. Huldine, Sweet Autumn, and Etoile Violette are all type 3's, so you cut them down to just above the ground every year. They're very easy. Buy or Sell likes a different purple, whose name escapes me now, but it sounds like it blooms even more than Etoile V., and I'm thinking about adding it. If you (and I) read recent threads, I know she mentions the name. You have a lot of fun ahead of you. Take a look at Clematis on the Web, and browse online clematis sellers for more ideas on what you like, and we'll try to help as much as we can. Again, welcome.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Found out they only have 1 gallon left and 4 5gallons left. Forgot to ask which variety. LOL. I'll call them again.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are the clematis they have right now.

-nelly moser
    -multiblue
    -jackman

The four 5 gallons I mentioned above weren't clematis. They're Winchester Honeysuckle. I mixed the info I got. Sorry. :)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Neither Nelly Moser nor Multi-Blue are going to do much towards covering the pergola. Nelly needs some shade too as she fades horribly in full sun.

I do not grow Jackmanni so not sure how big it gets.

My Polish Spirit blooms a lot longer than my Etoile Violette and they are almost the same dark purple color so I prefer Polish Spirit.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So Polish Spirit will be able to cover the pergola in few years? I am thinking of planting 2 clematis at the post near the lawn. What do you think?

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    13 years ago

I think you're going to need a lot more than 2 clematis plants to cover that pergola. More like 2 really big ones on each support that's close to the ground. My Sweet Autumn gets cut down to about 1 foot tall in early spring, and it grows 10-15' over the course of the summer before starting over again the next year. Huldine probably starts from 1 foot and grows up 15-20' feet over the summer. I don't know about Polish Spirit. I don't know how good your growing conditions are or how much work you're willing to put in, or what you consider "covering the pergola", but you may be expecting more from your clematis than it will be able to give.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Why do you cut it down? Clematis is deciduous right? I was thinking that it will bloom on old wood. Please let me know.

Thanks.

• bob414
    13 years ago

There are 3 types of clematis. Type 1 blooms on old wood only. Type 2 blooms on old wood and most rebloom later on new wood. Type 3 bloom on new wood and some rebloom later. I cut all my type 2 and type 3 back to a foot or so after they bloom. They develop more vines that way, I get a nice rebloom and the vines can get pretty scruffy looking if you don't cut them back.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got it. I have an issue though. 4 of the posts is surrounded by bricks. Wife didn't want me to leave an opening there.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Many varieties can be grown in containers. I have Cassis in a container which I bring into my unheated garage for the winter. Most container clematis are shorter, 4-8 ft. Try a search of this site for clematis in containers/pots.

Clematis on the Web is a good resource for info on clematis. Also check some of the clematis web sites for photos and info.

Many local nurseries and big box stores sell only the most common ones so you may want to order online. Also keep in mind that clematis grow slowly from young plants and can take 2-3 years before they put out lots of growth and bloom. Sometimes a nursery will have a nice sized container grown clematis but usually they are expensive.

Do you live near the Chicago Botanical garden? Seems that I have seen postings/photos of many places that you have visited, you could check out how they handle their clematis.

Perhaps you might grow annual vines for a year or two as you do more research before choosing clematis vines and/or while young clematis are putting on some growth.

This late in the year unless the clematis are a great bargain waiting until spring to buy plants might be a good idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mail Order Update

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Cutting back clematis to a foot or so after bloom works well for those in much warmer climates because they have a late or no frost. I don't know how that would work for you in Z:5. I have cut some clematis back but not so drastically. If you choose some of the pruning type 3 that bloom all summer until frost they don't need to be cut back until late winter/spring.

Also, my container clematis are P:3 so I can cut them back and remove the climbing structure after they have gone dormant which makes them easier to store for the winter.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Saw your email but I haven't replied yet.

How big are your containers?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Hi, v1rtu0s1ty

A good general resource for clematis is Clematis on the Web, website given below. Here is their explanation of pruning. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-pruning.cfm

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis on the web

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

My containers are 18" diameter.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Also, my container clematis are P:3 so I can cut them back and remove the climbing structure after they have gone dormant which makes them easier to store for the winter.

Do you recall how long they grow?

Will a clematis that's hardy upto zone 3 be able to come back next spring when we just plant it in a big container?

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

The ones I have in containers are shorter ones, 4-6 ft.

You can use ones that grow longer if you plan for them to grow up the poles.

I have heard that to survive outside in a container the plant needs to be 2 zones hardier, so z:3 should work for you but I have not left mine outside.

Miguel often said that hardiness was not always as limited as stated on clematis information. Many are listed as hardy to z:4 but may be even hardier. The only way to know for sure is to try and see what works in your zone. You would save a lot of work hauling them in and out if you left the pots outside. Think of this year as a $5 experiment.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The ones I bought only shows zone 4-9 on the tag. Maybe, I should still try it. :) I'll think about it.

Thanks!