Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calcium or lime to raise ph?

Posted by keepingon 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 17:55

I am preparing a spot to plant HF Young. De Groot nursery said add calcium to acid soils at planting to raise ph to 5.6-6 range. I have always used lime to raise ph (for hydrangas) and have it on hand. I know it takes several months for lime to work. There is very acid soil (5-5.5) in some areas of my Alabama garden.

Can someone offer advice on which product might be best. Does one work faster, last longer, etc; or if there is any advantage in using calcium over lime. I would like to use what I have and will be soil testing as I correct ph. Thanks, Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calcium or lime to raise ph?

Use lime. Lime is calcium carbonate.

o

Hi jean, Thanks for the info. If I knew this in the distant past, it was forgotten; it's been sooooo long. Xxx

o

I am not totally sure that it's needed, based on experience in my garden, though I imagine that it can't hurt. I'd add organic matter, but my soil is acid enough that blueberries, rhodies, cranberries and other Heath family plants do well (and grow wild) and my hydrangeas are blue, but my clematis don't seem to need any soil modification.

I do add wood ashes or lime to the veggie garden because they aren't tolerant of the lower pH, and the local farmer does the same in the field next door, but the clematis don't seem to be as fussy about pH as they are reputed to be.

Here's HF Young:

From June 8, 2013

and several type 3 clematis, including Arabella, Viola, and Betty Corning.

From June 22, 2013

o

Nice to see a Viola pic. Considering that one.

o

Iris_gal -

In reality there is less pink to the tone of Viola's flower. All the clematis in this photo look a bit pinker than in reality. I really like Viola and have found it easy to grow, though your conditions are so different than mine that my experience may not help you at all. In this photo, Viola is a 3 1/2 year old plant, and in its second season in the ground in this garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here