Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 3 hardy clematis

Posted by XCountry695 z5b Me (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 05 at 18:20

I am going to the MSSM (Maine School of Mathematics and Science) theat is up in Limestone where there used to be an old huge airforce base durring the Cold War. B-52's werepresent for long range bomb missions to Europe if necessary. Anyway its really cold up there and its a zone 3 also the growing season starts late April to mid May, and ends in mid September (Active growth anyway.) I need a very hardy large flowered hybrid some places say they are hardy but conformation of specific species known to grow would be great. And any other very colorful hardy plants are highly desireable to me the school has no landscaping and to me that is depressing so any help would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 3 hardy clematis

Try this from the archives:
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/peren/2002104341005782.html

As for clematis, I would stick to either the alpinas (pruning group 1) or the viticallas (pruning group 3).

Among my favourites of these are Venosa Violacea and Madame Julia Correvon.

If you look here you will find more about them:
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/clemlistsearch.cfm

And here, some help on growing them:
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/clematis/

o

I have just such a growing season here in my zone 3 garden. I have MANY large flowered Jackmanii types in which are cut back hard and bloom freely on the current seasons new growth. I have had no problem with hardiness as most all my plants are grown up against the foundation of the house where the roots stay warm during winter. ALTHOUGH, I know many of these types are exceptionally hardy and can be grown in the open ground! My sister has several large flowered clematis, which survive and thrive being planted against her trailer where they receive NO additional heat as the place is without any foundation Her clematis are deeply planted and this is something I would strongly suggest for any clematis being growin in COLD climates! In zone 3 or colder, Id also HIGHLY recommend that the large flowered types be hilled up with a deep layer of peat moss. One can also grow the integrifolia types some of which produces rather large bell shaped flowers. Pamjat Serdsta is one such that performs very well for me without requiring any winter protection!

Greg, there are all sorts of interesting and beautiful plants in which can be successfully grown in cold zone 3 ... others here will be able to guide you along with such choices.

Terry

o

We have a Jackmanii and a Huldine sharing a trellis on the east side of our house here in Zone 2b. They have been there for almost 30 years and grow to 12'again each summer.I had to extend the trellis after this picture was taken last year. This year we had a few blooms up to the first of November.Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here