Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help to identify this clematis? Help needed

Posted by RockerC none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 20:05

Hey there

Was just wondering if you could help me identify this clematis? I have a project running at Uni which requires latin binomial names and common names of every species of plant within a specified area. This was one of the plants within that area. It most definitely is a cultivated variety, and I am in the UK. It was growing up a pergola on the site. Leaves have a slight red to them as seen in the picture attached.

Thanks

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help to identify this clematis? Help needed

It is hard enough to identify clematis from a photo of the blossom, no way can I identify one from just the leafy vine. Any more info? Are you sure it is a clematis? Good luck.

o

Clematis montana often has a reddish tint to the foliage and a leaf shape rather distinct from that of most hybrids - that trifoliate pattern looks very similar. What time of year does it bloom and what do the flowers look like? Montanas are early bloomers (April) and the flowers look similar to Japanese anemones, which is the source of its common name of anemone clematis.

o

Since you are in the UK, I'd say it is pretty certainly Clematis montana. There are quite a few named varieties of that species. Very common here and very vigorous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here