Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lismari16

Gone for good?

lismari
11 years ago

I have (or had) a 20 year old jackmanii clematis on a trellis against my house. We decided to do end-of-season clean up of the garden, and my boyfriend pulled out the clematis. He knows zilch about plants & thought it was dead because the leaves were yellowing, as they do every fall. I was so upset. I went over to take a closer look at the damage, and saw that there were still quite a few roots below the soil line.

My question is, will my clematis ever come back? Will the roots that are left yield anything at all?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Maybe, maybe not. I have had clematis reappear from roots left behind after moving the original plant.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

lismari, are there any stems left remaining you're able to see or possibly not see due to their depth? If so, these might contain dormant eyes that sprout forth next spring. In other words, a segment of stem must remain with roots and dormant eyes intact for the possibility of new growth to emerge. Otherwise, the severed bootlace like roots left behind are not capable of regenerating new growth solely by themselves.

Terrance

• sandyl
    11 years ago

20 year old clematis.. I just about bet you'll see it back next year:)

• lismari
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey..thanks for all your help!

@mnwsgal: I'm hoping that the roots left behind will pop a stem or two.

@Terrance: I wasn't able to see any stems, but I didn't dig very deep, maybe about an inch or two after seeing the roots (and yes, they look like bootlaces!)

@sandyl: Yup, 20 years old, give or take 5 years. I hope you're right!

Thanks again! I'll keep you all posted. :o)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Yes, please upate us as next spring and summer advance :)

• lismari
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi to all of you who replied to my original post. I was hopeful, but alas, no growth from the roots left behind on my clematis. Perhaps one day I'll be surprised, like I was this spring when the Henryi clematis I thought died 5 years ago has decided to send up some shoots again! Go figure!

• sandyl
    10 years ago

WHAT? I cut my 12 year old Jack and Polish Sprint back to ground level annually and they keep coming back and growing 12 to 15 feet yearly..

• lismari
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, Sandy...he didn't cut it back, he basically dug up the whole clematis root ball. There were only a few roots below ground level left. I replaced it with another Jack...a "Superba" a foot away from the spot where my original one was...just in case. ;o)