Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
filix_gw

Where should I keep my clematis cuttings

filix
17 years ago

I took 20 sweet autumn clem cuttings in novenber. I dipped them in rooting powder and potted them in a sandy soil mix. Then after watering them, I put them in plastic bags. They have been in my unheated garage. But its starting to get cold out there. Should I bring them down my cellar? Do they need light? Or is darkness good until rooted? This is my first time trying this. Thanks..Filix

Comments (8)

• filix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Where is everybody?

• bob414
    17 years ago

Not much traffic on this site lately filix. I've seen your question several times but am unable to help. I've never tried to sprout clematis and although I get a few hard frosts I don't have to worry about the cold harming my plants so I don't have any basis for giving you an answer.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    17 years ago

filix, I have my November planted cuttings sitting in a cool solarium, where prolonged temperatures of 40f are experienced ... though, they receive a good amount of natural light, I think they'd also be okay in darkness ... it's more so the temperature that's important, and that should be 40 to 50 f. I do not tent my cuttings, as have found that mould and rot can be a problem, I'm also very careful about never overwatering them!

Terry

• filix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Terry. Are your cuttings s.a.c.? I searched the net alot and couldn't find an a-z way of doing this. Finaly I searched the british clem soc. And they had some info there. I didnt do everything they said as I was already done. I wondered about sealing plants in plastic bags. The Brits say to do it. I also read somewhere the younger the cuttings the more chance for rot. The brits also say that bottom heat and light are good. But bottom heat is not absolutly needed. So right now mine are in my shed in bags. If I see any mold I will Take them out. It seems to me that if you can water these any time you want, why the bags? I put a peace of marble on top of an electric heater set on low, and put the pots on them. It keeps the shed about 45f and warms the soil. Hope this works. Filix

• michael_in_chicago
    17 years ago

Clematis root best when the growth is just beyond the newest growth, not green, but not woody. Bottom heat and light is helpful...I think light is a necessity, but not the heat. In a shed is probably too cold for rooting, I would guess. Inside would be better.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    17 years ago

Filix, my cuttings are of large flowered types. Cuttings are said to root more easily if taken from thinner wood. You don't want the temperature to be too cold, as otherwise no activity shall occur. On second thought, I do agree that some light would be beneficial. If tented, you're cuttings will require very little watering, so just keep a watch on that.

• hanninkj
    17 years ago

I have still some cuttings such as ranunculoides and phlebantha. I store them at 23 degrees Celsius in front of a window. They start with rooting. For cuttings you need heat and light but you can try it also without these most important things but then the cuttings must be rather dry during winter. Do not use plastic bags during winter!

• filix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the responce.The shed is heated. So I could keep it warmer if I want. I took them all out of the plastic bags, as the leaves got brown and wet, and most of them fell off. I am able to water them every day. I have them about 8" from floresent lights. I hope because most dont have any leaves they are not doomed. I will do this a little different next time. I also mist them every day.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?