Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantloverkat

Brushwood Nursery's 2012 catalog

Brushwood Nursery has now updated their website with their 2012 catalog. They have a couple of newer clematis varieties that look interesting.

Comments (12)

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the link to their recent e-mail.

Here is a link that might be useful: recent e-mail about 2012 catalog

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

Hi thanks for posting. Can you tell me about the size of their Clem's ? Anyone with experience ordering through them? Thanks :)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Brushwood's plants are grown in a quart sized nursery pot, which has always been very well filled with roots in my experience. They are a bit smaller than those shipped in gallon sized pots by some other venders like Joy Creek or Silver Star Vinery, but they are NOT just shipping barely rooted cuttings. In my experience, Brushwood's plants have always grown vigorously. I have ordered many clematis and a couple of honeysuckle from Brushwood, and I have never had one damaged in the shipping process. Also their shipping costs are, I believe, the least expensive out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwoods photos of their plants

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response. I'm kind of new to clematis so excuse my ignorance but can clems that size be put in the garden or do they need potted up til a bigger size?

Original Author
    12 years ago

I have always had success by planting them directly in the ground. The only time I have potted them up is when a new bed was not ready for planting, and I knew it wouldn't be finished for a few weeks. I also planted directly in the ground when I lived in colder zones - 8a and 6b. I think many people do pot up the very small liner sized clematis you can buy, but Brushwood's clematis are much larger than a liner size and are close in size to some of the gallon sized plants I have purchased.

Perhaps someone else from a colder zone closer to you will give their opinion as well - there might be others who do prefer to pot them up.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Since no one else has responded to your original question so far, I thought I'd post a link to an older similar thread. If you type "Brushwood" in the Garden Web search box, you will find even more threads with feedback.

Here is a link that might be useful: feedback on Brushwood Nursery

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

Thank you for the link and responses. I'm dreaming of spring and picking out clems certainly helps. I'm going to place an order with Brushwood. There is a local nursery near me that sells Donahues clematis but they are between 35-75 each. Bought quite a few but I'm thinking I'll try someplace else. Thanks again :)

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I was pleased with the two clematis that I ordered last year from Brushwood. Though some people plant them right away I prefer to pot them up to get a larger root system and to allow more time to decided where to plant them.

Mostly I buy the one gallon size clematis unless I can't find the variety in that size. It helps that I live close to Donahue's where I can buy clematis in several different sizes.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I've ordered something like 20 plants from Brushwood and have started my list for this year. I plant them directly in the garden and haven't lost any; great quality, healthy plants, well packed. I have planted them both spring and fall, and they have taken off quickly in both seasons, though not too much happens above ground with fall planting. I find that many of them want to bloom at least a bit the first year, and by the second year they really start to put on size and bloom. I actually didn't see much size difference this past year between Brushwood's and Silver Star's plants and how large they ended the season.

• bobbygil
    12 years ago

Brushwood is having a 48hr sale. 15 percent off

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered 12 clematis-was so hard to pick only 6 and once you get the shipping bump at number 7 might as well buy 12 ;) . I can't wait for spring. SO excited. Now to finish finding spots to plant these babies. Thank goodness my yard is basically a large blank slate right now. Thanks again for the help. Laura

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

Ordered 6 more today. Between the 16 I bought and planted this fall and the 18 coming this spring I think I am now insane. All bc I stumbled upon a neighbor's clematis she didn't even know she had when she moved in last year. Oh boy!!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!