Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many plants?

Posted by clg7067 z6 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 10:59

I would like to use some Clematis to dress up the side of my shed. To give you an idea, the height is about 4.5 feet and it's 12 feet wide.

How many plants would I need to cover a good part of the side? And will wire work as a support, or should I attach a wood lattice?

Here's the shed:

Here is the plant that I'm considering. And what does 'Pruning: 3' mean?

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Galore

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many plants?

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9 Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 12:08

I plant mine 2 ft. apart so I would probably put 6 there. I would use wire for them to climb on. I like to use something with a larger grid like the rebar panels available from Lowes or Home Depot. It makes it much easier to pull the vines off when I prune them. It does rust so you might not want it there but consider the size of the mesh when you make a choice.

o

Thanks. Having never had a Clematis, I probably would have bought 2.

o

Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 15:06

Here are three that I have growing on a fence. They are planted 2 ft. apart.

o

Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 17:30

Should have mentioned they are type 2 plants. They are Niobe, The President and Marie Boisselot (or maybe the white one is Madame Le Coultre).

o

Nice photo. I think I'll look for a grid like yours.

o

You can find wire grid fence panels like that at feed and farm stores. They are inexpensive. Clematis climb them better than wood lattice.

Type III pruning means whack them off short every year.

o

If you plant type I or type II prune plants, you will be looking at dried vines in the winter since the flower buds form the previous season. As BorS stated, if you get type III prune plants, you should cut them down when winter has firmly arrived (since the flower buds form on new growth) so if you do not want to look at the dead vines all winter this is the type you should get.

If you don't live where there are farm and feed stores, there are wire grid panels sold for concrete reinforcement at big box home improvement stores, but there is less choice of size of mesh and panel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here