Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cymbidia

Help with Raymond Evison's Boulevard collection

cymbidia
13 years ago

Looking for a good US mail order source for these clematis. Tried looking at the stockists listed on his site without much success. Anyone found a good reliable source?

Comments (14)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Not sure about mail order but Hines Horticulture (Irvine, CA) is the largest distributor of these clematis to US nurseries and garden centers. Shouldn't be too hard to find a retail outlet in your area carrying them.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

You might want to try Joy Creek - they carry a lot of Evison clems and are a great and reliable mail order source. Spring catalog not yet available and the current (fall?) one has a lot of "sold outs".......:-(

Have them put you on their mailing list and you should receive updated availabilities and notice of new seasonal catalogs.

• cymbidia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

October 8, 2010 The Oregonian
    Lack of financing may force Hines Nurseries to lay off 96 SUMMARY: Credit crunch The Forest Grove business expects to go Chapter 11

Lack of financing may force

Hines Nurseries to lay off 96

Hines Nurseries in Forest Grove may lay off 96 workers as early as Monday because of its inability to extend its line of credit.

While the company seeks financing it expects to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Hines actually declared bankruptcy in 2008. They're still in business, as are a great many other businesses that file Chapter 11, which is only a reorganization, not closure. The nursery I am associated with still buys from them on a regular basis. They may be having financial difficulties (and who isn't??) but there is nothing wrong with their product.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

No, there isn't. Hines is still a major grower of quality plants.

• cymbidia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry, this discussion seems to have degenerated into the veracity of The Oregonian and the financial acumen of Hines. If anyone can answer my original question regarding Raymond Evison's Boulevard collection, and only Raymond Evison's Boulevard collection, I'd appreciate it. Others might want to stay further away from the pesticides ;-)

• michael_in_chicago
    13 years ago

Good web sources in general for clematis include Brushwood Nursery, Joy Creek, Silver Star Vinery. You can also get a good selection from Klehm's Song Sparrow nursery.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

cymbidium, I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to get snarky with your response - you got your answer. Hines IS the major distrubutor of Evison clematis in this country. It is a pretty sure bet that any mail order sources offering EviPo clems are obtaining them from this wholesaler as well, despite what you may assume regarding their financial status.

Most of the major online clematis nurseries offer them - just take your pick if you choose not to locate them locally without the fuss and cost of shipping.

• cymbidia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardengal48 sorry to offend you. but I asked a simple question and wanted an accurate answer. "you got your answer ..." No I emailed both of your vendors and neither of them stock Raymond Evison's Boulevard collection. As to "what you may assume regarding their financial status..." I assume nothing, I was merely reporting verbatim an article in The Oregonian which said Hines has filed for bankruptcy twice in two years. What criteria you or I use to select a vendor is individual preference.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I do believe what Gardengal is trying to say is that Hines has the US license from Raymond Evison to grow his patented Clematis.

Their financial status doesn't change this.

Now is not the best time of year to look for them but Evison's Clematis are grown in Bright Blue pots and fairly easy to spot at local garden centers. I've seen them at Portland Nursery, Al's Garden Center, Drake's 7 Dees, Tsugawa's and probably more.

I do not recall seeing them on mail order websites though.

All that I've seen were in 1 gallon pots or bigger,the first years they were in 3 and 5 gal pots for $40-%50 bucks.
    Seeing them last year in gallons for $25 was cheap. Most mail order sources sell smaller plants.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

The plants are probably not offered by mail order sources as a "collection" but rather under individual names. Evison refers to them as collection only because they share a similar compact growth and a free-flowering habit. FWIW, Joy Creek lists ALL of the various clems that comprise the "Boulevard collection" in their catalog.....whether or not they have them available for sale at this time is another matter.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Since you quoted the Oregonian I thought you were local.

Hine's website has a feature to put in your zip code to find a local retailer. You might try that.

Joy Creek is sold out of Angelique, Cezanne, Chantilly, Picardy and Parisienne but they are in their catalog and they are in the Boulevard Collection. They will likely have them in the Spring.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Cymbidia, did you ever find your vines? I ordered two of the Evison clematis from Joy Creek just yesterday, Bijou and Rebecca. It's a fav place of mine to visit but not this time of year, and they were down to few of the Rebecca already so I online ordered. Joy Creek has never disappointed me in shipping plants, or tempting me while present at the nursery.

And, with $3.19.9 per gal for gas this week, if that cost doesn't change I can't drive there and back for what they will charge for mailing anyway :)

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis including Evison

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

hi gg, strange to see the fate of Hines discussed twice today. This is from Plant Delights' enewsletter.
    What a drag. Do you think small nursery owners are feeling the financial hit out there in PNW these last 2 yrs? Here in New Eng most of them are just barely alive, and saying that this year was even worst than last.
    best,
    mindy

from Plant Delights 1/11 enewsletter:

"Earlier this year, we highlighted the financial troubles of South Carolina�s 686 acre Carolina Nurseries. In early December they finally closed up shop when the landowner repossessed the nursery property. This is yet another sad loss of one of the real innovative nurseries of our industry. We sincerely wish their 350 person staff luck at finding new positions within the industry.

If that wasn�t enough, on December 17, a bankruptcy judge signed the order to sell off the assets of Hines Nurseries. As I mentioned last month, Hines was formerly the largest nursery in the country prior to its previous bankruptcy in 2008. Hines is currently owned by a private equity firm, Black Diamond Capital Management. As I�ve mentioned many times, a financial strategy involving a nursery and a venture capital/private equity firm is like a deadly drug combination...it may make you feel really euphoric for a while, but it ultimately results in a painful death. So, if you�ve been sitting on a ton of cash and looking to lose much of it by getting into the nursery business, bids for Hines will be accepted until February 25, 2011 at the offices of Pachulski Stang Ziehl, & Jones LLP of Wilmington DE. If there is more than one bid for the assets, bidders will be checked into a nearby mental health facility while an auction determines the loser...I mean the new owner."

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia