Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clematis STILL won't bloom

Posted by posskat z4-5canada (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 15:09

my 2 clematis are planted together, feet in the shade, all the rest, full sun. they have been in this spot going on 8 years. one has bloomed once, and the other, once, on another year. they get adequate water, and have the most beautiful foliage. i use compost every year, and was told to use bone meal, which i did for a year, all to no avail. i assume it must be the nutrients, but can't find any 5-10-10 that was recommended to try....any more suggestions? thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clematis STILL won't bloom

What clematis names? Have you tried pruning them at all in spring? Get a soil test?

o
RE: clematis STILL won't bloom

As Kentstar implied, more information is needed to answer the question.
What are the names of the clematis? (This will help give info on pruning and hardiness.)
Have you pruned them at all and if so when?
What besides bone meal did you use for fertilizer?
I would also recommend a soil test, as it will give you more definitive information on what your clematis might need. I take care to do good soil preparation before planting and then don't fertilize, just top dress with compost. Some types of plants (don't know if clematis is one) grow leaves at the expense of flowers if there is too much nitrogen, so a soil test will tell you about that also. In the US, most states have universities that will do soil tests, but I don't know who in Canada does soil tests. For really good information it's best to get one done rather that do a kit test yourself, as those have varying levels of accuracy.

Also, clematis don't really need shade for their roots (an often repeated myth,) just adequate moisture. I mulch the soil around my clematis (though not against the stems) to help keep moisture levels even as well as watering when we haven't had regular rain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here