Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosethyme_gw

Patio Clematis

rosethyme
15 years ago

Looking for a reasonably priced source for some of the "Patio Clematis" like Cezanne, Picardy, and Fleuri. Anyone have any suggestions? I've heard these are wonderful performers.

Thanks.

Karen

Comments (16)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Not sure what you mean by reasonably priced but if you want full gallon or larger sized plants of Picardy, Cezanne, and Fleuri try Silver Star Vinery. Debbie is going to be offering these three and quite a few other of the Evison clematis this spring. Check with her if you want large sized plants. See her website linked below and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the others from Evison she is going to have for spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Star Vinery

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Miquel. Yes, I already ordered Ashva from Debbie. Have been wanting that one for a long time. I think I would love to have Picardy more than any of them so will probably get it from Debbie.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Karen, you might also want to look at Joy Creek's website as they have a bunch of the Evison clematis listed as well.

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, Joy Creek is a good idea. I've never ordered from them and wonder how their shipping costs are? I think they also may have the clematis, Solidarnosc. I ordered that from Chalk Hill when they had the big sale but they didn't send it.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Karen, I have ordered from Joy Creek and actually have 3 clematis coming from them this spring. Unfortunately, I can't remember how expensive the shipping was. For me, if it is something I really want, the shipping costs are the least of my worries! Spoken like a true clematis-o-holic!

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I would buy from Siver Star over Joy Creek personally. For cost, shipping cost and customer service.

I finally got a Cezanne this year in a gallon can with a coupon for 9.99 at a local nursery. It was 19.99 without the coupon and that was the cheapest I'd seen it.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Karen,
    Koi Gardens has Bourbon at $9. Very reasonable shipping charges too. Jerome sells Donahue babies. His plants are smaller than Silver Star's or Joy Creek's, but they have great rootballs.
    He also has many other Evison's hybrids for sale.

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I am getting them from Silverstar..Debbie's. I've always loved Debbie and her wonderful clematis.

Alina, I love Jerome and have lost count of the clematis I've ordered. Did you also take advantage of his big sale? I'm so glad he took over Koi Gardens. I ordered Rebecca which I think is a new one as well as Bourbon.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I wish I had room for more. I've got more than half a dozen Clems sitting in pots that I didn't find places to plant before winter. I may start ripping out those that don't perform as well though it is frustrating because they take so many years to get going.

• cnetter
    15 years ago

Wow, I followed the Koi gardens link and now I'm tempted.

But I have a question first. I was thinking about integrifolia, have I have Petit Faucon and was wondering if they are different enough to warrant getting integrifolia. I don't have room for many more clematis Actually I don't have any more room, but am squeezing them in all sorts of strange places in the yard and pushing other things out.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

They are definitely different if you are talking about integrifolia the species. Petit Faucon is by far the best bloomer in my garden. It blooms from April to late August/early September, but I do deadhead it. It gets about 4 feet tall in my garden and I guide it through a spiral topiary form. Its blooms are much larger and darker purple (almost black when they first open) than the blooms on integrifolia the species. That is my experience anyways and for what it is worth.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Yes Karen,
    I did use Jerome's sale. I ordered 5 or 6 new Clemmies including Rebecca for spring delivery. Do not have room for them either :o)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Petit Faucon is a marvel in my garden as well. Integrifolia is shorter and much paler in color. It has not been close to Juuli in performance but it is younger.
    It did take Petit Faucon five years to get going. I had hundreds of blooms. It is in partial shade too. What used to be full sun across my yard is now partial shade because my trees grew. Never thought we'd live here fifteen years.

My advice to anyone buying a home, never settle for just one bath......

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alina, glad you ordered some from Jerome's sale. I don't have room either but couldn't resist those prices and free shipping. I'm sure we'll find a place to put them. :)

Karen

• cnetter
    15 years ago

This forum is so darn dangerous to the pocketbook!
    I just wandered down some thread paths and noticed that I don't have many pinks. Would Empress go with well with Crystal Fountain or Multiblue? If so, I'll place another order with Koi.

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cnetter, sure it would! I hope Jerome still has one left for you. I got Empress last fall so hope it will bloom this spring. I try to stay with groups 3's but ordered a bunch of 2's from Jerome since they were on sale.

I wonder when Jerome will be back so we can see if we get everything we ordered? I ordered Nelly Moser although it said only one left. It might have already been sold out.