Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tips for transplanting

Posted by bobbygil 7 (rascal559@aol.com) on
Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 16:05

Hi..I need to move about 6 clems for various reasons. Some are pretty close to shrubs that they grew up onto. Is it ok to move them now or should I wait ? Also they have only been in the ground for 2 years, so how far is it best to dig down ? Any tips on moving them when they are close to shrubs ? thanks alot bobby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tips for transplanting

I personally would wait until spring to move the plants since I am not sure what your winters are like and whether they would get reestablished before the full force of winter hits (again not sure what your winters are like). What I would be tempted to do right now is to take a trenching shovel and go around the plants about a foot and a half or so out from the main stems and cut into the soil as far down as you can. This will cut some of the roots that are growing beyond that area but will stimulate more root growth inside the area. Then, next spring when you dig the plants up, they will have more new roots within the soil ball that you do dig up and they will transplant better.

o

Thanks, sounds right to me. I'm in 7b outside of atlanta. We've had alot of cold weather but I can wait till early spring. I'm moving a couple of shrubs and both have a clem growing up them. When I move the shrub in spring do I need to get as much dirt along with the clem or is just the roots ok? thanks again

o

I would go for as much soil as possible since it will shock the roots and plant less. If you don't get much soil, then it will be like planting a bareroot plant and I personally have never had much luck with planting bareroot plants directly in the ground. I generally pot them up, grow them out and then transplant the larger rootball and soil in one fell swoop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here