Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazydaisies

Plans for 2015

This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll perk up if we start sharing our plans for 2015! Some of you in warmer climates are probably still enjoying blooms, unfortunately for me it's 0 degrees outside today and I'm counting down the days until spring.

What clematis are you planning on adding to your garden in 2015? Or what ones are you excited to see again this year? I haven't added any to my list for spring yet... maybe this will change things!

I am looking forward to Diamantina coming back. Planted two, one on either side of an arbor. Gave me blooms even in it's first year.

{{gwi:2123632}}

Also can't wait to see Blue Light again.

{{gwi:2123633}}

And most excited to see Nelly Moser again. This will be it's THIRD summer, so it should really sparkle this year. Cello playing Frog is most excited.

{{gwi:2123634}}

Also looking forward to Rooguchi, and Sweet Summer Love. Those I did not get blooms from in their first year.

What are you guys looking forward to or wanting to add to your garden?

Michaela

Comments (33)

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Beautiful pics! I'm thinking of adding: Blue Angel and Comtesse de Bouchard (sp?). Where do you buy your clematis from? Brushwood is a favorite, but they are kinda pricey, I think.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh those are lovely. I really like Comtesse de Bouchard! What kind of trellis would you grow these on?

I also remembered after I made this thread that I want to add a Jackmanii for sure, and I'd like to find a nice white double clematis as well, but haven't decided what one yet!

I love looking at brushwood but I don't think I've ordered from them yet. I hope we gets some feedback on that, I'd like some more options for getting clematis online, I've mostly been buying locally! My grandma bought me my Blue Light Clematis at Lowes, so I will be checking there next summer to see what they have. Menards always has a ton too, but they go very quickly. I bought a Horn of Plenty in May and went back later that weekend and they were all gone and never restocked for the rest of the summer!

I ordered from Plants Delight last summer, that's where my rooguchi clems came from. They were very healthy and grew quite a bit in their first year. I was super impressed with them, they were also one of the only places I could find that clematis in July... everywhere else didn't have it or was sold out.

Michaela

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Believe it or not, I'm having trouble finding 'Jackmani', I searched all last summer and fall for it with no luck. I want two to climb through a Golden Hops vine planted on arch covered bench. I'll keep looking maybe I'll have better luck this year. I have about 30 clemies in the garden now but keep adding more. I lost one, Mrs P. T. James so that's another on the list to look for. I'm mulling over where I can plant Sweet Summer Love if I manage to find it locally.

Annette

Original Author
    9 years ago

Annette, would love to see photos of all your beauties! And maybe hear some of your favorites! Jackmanii would look lovely on that bench/arch I'm sure!!

Brushwood Nursery does have Jackmanii right now, if you are interested in ordering online. Thinking that's the route I may go... going to ask one gardening center if they are able to order it for me and if they can't I think I'll just get it from Brushwood unless anyone else chimes in with a different suggestion!

I am anxious to see Sweet Summer Love bloom. I got a very large one in a 1 or 2 gallon pot last year from a local nursery so I'm hoping it'll be established enough to give me some blooms this year. The photos of it are gorgeous.

Michaela

9 years ago

Michaela, I'm hoping to pick up 'Jackmani' here in Canada and preferably locally if I can.
    I only know how to post pictures singly so bear with me. Most of my pictures are closeups of flowers but I have a few of the whole plant.
    First one....'Blue Bird'

9 years ago

'The Vagabond'

9 years ago

'Dr. Ruppel'

9 years ago

'Fair Rosamond' this one has a fragrance.

9 years ago

'Guersey Cream'

9 years ago

'Silver Moon'

9 years ago

'Westerplatte'

9 years ago

'Montana Wilsonii' this guy completely covers my lath house.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Annette,

I understand that. I also like to buy my clems locally. I hope you are able to find one this year! Are there any local gardening societies you could ask? Maybe they'd have an idea of where to look?

Your clematises are absolutely gorgeous. I'm trying not to get attached to any particular ones so I can just shop in the spring and get things that catch my eye but I'm already in love with Fair Rosamond. I love the shape of Guersey Cream as well.

I think the only way to post multiple pictures is to host them somewhere like Photobucket, which is what I use. It is nice because you can make folders and organize them. And if your computer ever crashes your photos aren't completely gone.

I found these trellises today on Amazon and am now planning on using these on at least 3 of our downspouts. I'm so excited to add clematises without taking up a ton of space or spending hardly anything on structures!

http://www.amazon.com/Gardman-R710-36-Inch-Tube-Trellis/dp/B004T86WDI/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1420417738&sr=1-1&keywords=Gardman+R710+36-Inch+Tube+Trellis

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Thank you for perking things up ladies.

We are clematis starved here. Occasionally 'Nellie Moser' or 'The President' shows up, often pricey 5 gal. size.

When gal. size of 'Bee's Jubilee' appeared at Home Depot in Nov., In Bloom!, I grabbed one. Alas, not terribly complimentary with Austin's 'Heritage' rose. Placing it is this year's project.

Bee's Jubilee - lavender background until blooms age.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Iris_gal
    No problem! :o)

That's frustrating that there aren't more clematis available for you locally. Do you have any nurseries that will order things special for you? I've found a few around here that take special orders.

Bee's Jubilee is a gorgeous clematis, I don't blame you for grabbing it. Oh I can't wait to get Heritage... it's on my list for this spring!

Michaela

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Michaela, oh yes, they will order, at their ridiculous prices. No bare root. I've been online at Lowe's. They have 7 oldies bare root. About 30 miles away.

Have you seen 'Warsaw Nike' in person? Lowe's lists that one. Pictures either show it as almost black-purple or medium purple?

My 'Heritage' took several close to 7 years to settle in and put on robust growth. 15 years later I wish it would go back to wimpiness. Always has bloomed well, tho they don't last as you've probably read. Very beautiful. I'm moving 'Honorine Jobert' Japanese Anemone (white) to be her companion. They are great-looking together.

I'm wondering if Warsaw N. would suit her?

Iris

Original Author
    9 years ago

Iris,

That is too bad that they have such high prices. Oh 30 minutes isn't too bad. I'd probably drive 30 minutes for a clematis! But I'm kind of crazy! And I'd probably buy 6 of them! I don't have a lot of self control when it comes to shopping for clematis & roses.

Oh wow... I've never seen Warsaw Nike before. That is one gorgeous clematis. Are you going to get one? I'd probably have to grab that. Such a unique color, dark color. In the photos I'm seeing just in google images it's like a wine/burgundy color. Either way I feel like you can't go wrong.

Do you have any photos of Heritage? Would love to see yours if you have some photos. Heritage is replacing a horrible yew tree that was planted in our side garden so thankfully she'll have lots of room to grow. I'm planning on getting a 2 gallon, hopefully that'll speed up the wimpiness a little bit? I did hear the blooms don't last long, which I was disappointed about but I think I will still get it anyway.

Oh that would be a lovely combination! I am putting a clematis near heritage and am thinking either Jackmanii or piilu. Would be climbing up a downspout trellis nearby. I think I'll get both, just not sure which one will grow next to heritage.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing what you get from Lowes if you go!

Michaela

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Here's what 'Heritage' looked like with the Jap.anemone pulled across the path for this shot.

My idea for her was a 'Perle d'Azure' (light blue-lav.) but after seeing Hoov's gorgeous combo of Laguna (a robust pink) with Perle, I decided it would look insipid. If Lowe's had Perle I'd be up there in a shot. She'd look wonderful someplace!

I've downloaded every rose-clematis-combo pic I've seen. Have decided I like best those combos where the clematis bloom doesn't dominate the rose. Sis had 'Star of India' (sim. to Aftermidnight's The Vagabond) with a red climbing rose - perfect balance of colors!

I'll be looking forward to seeing your 'Heritage' combo.

• 420benz
    9 years ago

I've had many clematis in Ga. Zone 7b and found that the Jackmanii does not like the sun in and august. The plant slowly dies back. Any variety suggestions for my area?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Iris,

Wow... what a gorgeous combination. That's got me thinking I need to find a place for a pink rose & a white clematis now! I would agree that I like when the rose is the focal point & the clematis is more of an accent.

I am adding 2 A Shropshire Lad up tall obelisk trellises with my Rooguchi Clematis this spring. I am anxious to see that combination. The roses are going to be coming as bands so it may be a few years before it looks how I'm envisioning though!

Thanks I am anxious to see it bloom in person, everyone's photos are so pretty!!

------

I hope someone has a suggestion for you benzmac! Sorry to hear your Jackmanii isn't liking the area. Could you move it to a spot in your yard with some afternoon shade if you have any?

Michaela

• 420benz
    9 years ago

Anyone

Original Author
    9 years ago

hey benzmac, this forum has been kind of quiet... but you may have better luck if you start your own question, that way they see it right on the first page there. Just in case, some people may not read through all these comments to see your question. I hope you find an answer soon! Have you looked at Help Me Find? You can search by zone.... and if you go to the "member comments" tab, there's some feedback on how the plants did. Might not hurt to look at clematis hardy to zone 8/9... I'd think they'd be tough enough for your summers. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to get.

Michaela

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis - Help Me Find

• 420benz
    9 years ago

Thinks

Original Author
    9 years ago

You're welcome, I hope you find something that works for you!

• lesmc
    9 years ago

I miss my clematis...terribly! How about you? Gillian Blades. never disappoints! lesley

• lesmc
    9 years ago

another clematis that makes me happy!

Original Author
    9 years ago

lesmc those are gorgeous. What is the purple one called? I keep looking at clematis online now that I have all my roses ordered for 2015 but haven't found any nurseries I like yet.

• lesmc
    9 years ago

The purple/blue is H.f. Young...I think!!!! Ha! Sorry, I have so many I sometimes forget. It is a lovely clematis which I cut back after spring bloom and get another great bloom. LesleyThis is Perle d~Azur...love this.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..I'd like to get some more clematis and several on this thread are near the top of my list..like Fair Rosamund..HF Young.. Westerplatte and Bee's Jubilee.... something like those... but I don't have a lot of room left but I'm sure I can do something about that...

...here are a few of mine...
    Mme. Julia Correvon... this is a viticella, pruning group 3.

..Etoile Violette and Minuet, again both viticellas..

..close up of 'Minuet'... this is one of my favourite Clematis..

..I have a few others, mostly Spring flowering ones... so I'll just look at everyone else's photos for now... thank you..

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lesley I hope to have that problem someday!! They are beautiful. I love Perle d~Azur!

Marlorena, wow you have some very pretty ones there. I have never seen Minuet. What a beauty!

• lesmc
    9 years ago

I love my gazebo covered with clematis. I am always a little sad when the bloom is over. I do cut back, fertilize and usually get another nice bloom. But nothing beats that first spring bloom! I believe this is Pearle d`Azur, Galore, Hagley Hybrid and Comtesse Bouchaurd.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow I would never leave! Those clematis are gorgeous. Pearle d`Azur is such a pretty shade of purple. I just love it.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Les ~~ the combination on your gazebo is wonderful!

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer