Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing SAC from seeds

Posted by pizatio CA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 17, 10 at 19:47

Here's what I have. A pack of SAC seeds stored in a dry plastic sealed bag. I have a special germinating seedlings grow station and sterile soil to go with it. The only question is when and how do I go about starting this up. There is directions on how to use the germinating flat but im not sure when I should be doing this and where I should put it, outside/sun,part-sun, etc... Should I wait until spring or should I start it now in winter?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing SAC from seeds

Boy, it's questions like this that really bring home the fact that Miguel (nckvilledudes) is not still with us - he would have had an answer for you in a heartbeat. The best I can offer is a link to Brian Collingwood's website. Brian has extensive experience in growing clems from seed and has documented his efforts in detail.

FWIW, SAC (C. terniflora) apparently has an ability to seed itself quite easily....to the point where it is considered invasive in certain parts of the country, so it shouldn't be too difficult to germinate by intent :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Collingwood clematis seed growing site

o
RE: Growing SAC from seeds

Terniflora seeds germinate easily. Sprinkle them on top of your soil, covering them only very lightly with soil. I've had good luck giving them 6 weeks of warm, then 6 weeks in the fridge, then back to warm.

They will germinate without the cold period but it is easier this way.

If you are in a zone warmer than z5 they can be annoyingly fertile! In fact they are prohibited in some warmer states. Gooduck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here