Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterclem

Miguel: did you ever see Andante again?

butterclem
15 years ago

Hi,

Sorry about calling you out personally. But you said last spring that Andante hadn't shown up. I'm making out my spring order and am interested in her. Did she finally come up and thrive? Or sadly depart?

It was 18 degrees in Pittsburgh today. I'm hoping to boost my spirits by working on my order.

Pat

Comments (8)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

No Pat, she never reappeared. I had an ochroleuca planted nearby that disappeared as well so am thinking that something ate their roots. I would greatly recommend Andante however since she is such a tease and reminds me of a ballerina unfurling her tutu.
    {{gwi:628635}}
    {{gwi:628641}}
    {{gwi:594535}}

I will have to replace her one day but with all the seeds I have germinating of various types of integrifolia, I may just wait and see what comes out of them first.

• butterclem
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Miguel,

Thanks so much for posting the picture. Andante really is charming. And she's exactly the right size and color for one of my rapidly diminishing spots for clematises. Since you think there's good reason for her disappearance, as opposed to not being a vigorous cultivar, I think I have to have her.

Pat

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Pat, I haven't yet met an integrifolia I didn't like except the cultivar 'Embers', the purported first red integrifolia. It has never been "red" in my garden or anywhere near it. I bought it because it was supposed to be red. Perhaps in milder and less hot and humid climates it might be red, but not in mine. It was also covered in mildew most of the summer. Don't know how it would do in your climate since two people can have very different experiences with any plant in different gardens.

I really do think something got Andante. She was such a vigorous grower and then she just didn't appear two years ago.

• butterclem
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd picked up on the warning of Ember's mildew from you and others on the forum, so it wasn't on my list. This year's integrifolia additions will be Harlow Carr and Andante. And I must thank you, if I haven't, for putting me on to Sizaia Ptitsa. I put it in in June, climbing a white-veined enkianthus, and it quickly reached 6 ft. It still had one bloom on Nov. 1! I loved Petit Faucon and Inspiration last year (and others were excellent if not incredible), but Sizaia Ptitsa was the hands-down star.

Pat

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

You will love Harlow Carr Pat. I love the form and color. And what can I say about Sizaia Ptitsa. Mine sprawls all over the ground and flowers all summer long in spurts. Petit Faucon is by far the longest and most consistent bloomer in my garden but Inspiration was blooming as late as December for me. What can I say...I love the integrifolias and the viticellas. Not to mention the American native clematis!! You can have all the LFHs you want, but they don't hold a candle to the ones listed previously!! Gotta throw Tie Dye into the mix as well for its quirky colored blooms!

• memphisbelle
    15 years ago

New to the site. Can't say I am bullet proof w/ clematis but Adante struggled in the heat of the mid south region I live in. I finally dug her up and potted her up to see if that would help. Still struggling to survive.

• memphisbelle
    15 years ago

So much for reviewing my message. Should be spelled as Andante. I had anticpated it would perform well for me because I grow Rooguchi which grows beautifully in my region. Both were bred by Ozawa.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Memphisbelle, quite a few clematis suffer in the heat and humidity of my garden here in NC during the pits of the summer. Integrifolias are typically not ones that seem to be fazed by the heat and humidity however except for the issue of mildew. Roguchi gets mildew horribly in my garden if it is not sprayed with a mildewicide as does Embers. The other integrifolias, except for those mentioned previously, have never had an issue with mildew in my garden and do well in my summer conditions. Not sure why you would have a problem with Andante and not with Rooguchi. Just shows everyone's garden conditions differ greatly and the experiences we have with the same clematis varies as well.