Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_p30

Joe Zary -a group A that blooms like a C

John_p
15 years ago

I have grown this clematis for 4 yrs and it has amazed me that it blooms on new wood also. The background of this plant is alpina, multipalus (sp?)and the native clematis to our northern Canada. I think I have seen an alpina put out a bloom or two but nothing like Joe in the fall. I would like to work with this plant to get different colours shape Etc.

Comments (6)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Joe Zary is one of the macropetalas that I have lusted after for several years. Unfortunately that group as a whole does not do well in my southern garden--they hang on for a few years but then succumb to the heat and humidity and die a slow death.

The several that I did have for a few years always rewarded me with blooms not only in the spring but also later in the summer as well. Then again, for those of us further south enough, we can get two sets of blooms out of the type IIs which supposedly only bloom on old wood as well.

• John_p
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am interested in the point of view of breeding. Is this characteristic of everblooming unique to Joe Zary? Can I breed with this plant?

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Can't say whether that it is unique to Joe Zary but if it truly does bloom for you nonstop, then you have a winner. Just realize that it may perform that way for you but not for others in other zones just due to the climate differences.

Sure you can breed with this plant. From what I have gathered from my reading, you are best advised to stick with other macropetalas to attempt cross breeding it with since I don't believe that it can be successfully crossbred with clematis from other groups such as the large flowering hybrids, viticellas, viornas, etc. Good luck and keep us posted on any successes you may have!

• John_p
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ya, I am aware that these plants will not breed with other groups but will they have the ability if I work in genes from C. alpina and still get the great rebloom. These Clematis grow very well in my zone 2a farm.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Not sure John. I think you would need someone who has been crossing these types and the experience to know the resulting progenies growth patterns. The only real way to know would be to give it a go and see what you get. Life is one big experiment in my book.

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

Joe Zary is a cross of (fauriei x alpina ssp sibirica) x macropetala, all of which are a part of the Atragene group of clematis. As far as anyone knows right now, these only cross with themselves. Species in the Atragene group include faureii, alpina, macropetala, chiisanensis, ochothensis, sibirica, korenana and a few others. You can go to the Hull database (link below), enter "Atragene" into the "group" field and come up with many cultivars.

A number of amateurs have made some nifty crosses with Joe Zary. Go to Gardenbuddies Clematis Forum and do an archives search on "Joe Zary" to see some of the results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hull Database

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville