Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clematis nutrient deficiency?

Posted by oziebrownthumb none (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 21:32

G'day,
I have a young clematis (clematis minister -William Kennett)that has only been in the ground for about 12 months. It had 3 flowers on it last spring, and since then has virtually stopped growing .The plant is less than 30cm tall. The older leaves have blotchy yellow radiating out from the centre of the leaf, as if somebody has flicked yellow paint onto a dark green leaf. Need some help with an ID?
Thanks, macca.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clematis nutrient deficiency?

Would it be possible to add more information about growing conditions (soil, sun, water, competing plants, possible chemical/herbicide exposure and general region where you are growing - what part of Oz) and to add a photo of the plant in the garden? Also, has this leaf thing been an issue for all the time it has been in your garden or is it a recent occurence?

Ignoring the leaves for now, generally in my garden most clematis tend to not put on very much top growth or bloom much until their third year. More than many plants, clematis seem to need to take time to settle in and grow roots. So the above-ground size alone isn't worth worrying about.

o

Thanks nhbabs. The plant is in a red silty clay loam, well drained soil of basalt parent material.The aspect is - gets morning sun, but is protected from hot arvo sun. It's been hot lately(early 30's),so I have been keeping the ground moist.The plant is next to a 'corea' and a 'star jasmin', with these two providing protection from the western sun and winds.I'm very careful when spraying around the garden. We are in what's regarded as a 'cool climate' on the nsw Central Tablelands.The leaf yellowing has only been an issue over the last 2-3months(since the beginning of spring)

o

IME nutrient deficiencies often show up along leaf veins or the whole leaf is pale or chartreusy in color. Looking at the second photo, I am wondering about it being spider mite damage.

o

thanks again nhbabs,
The appearance of the leaf strongly resembles some photos I've seen of sm damage, but I haven't been able to find any of the little suckers as yet. I'll keep looking!
Ta Macca

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here