Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitkat_oregon

Your favorite White

kitkat_oregon
14 years ago

Ok, good people, I need some opinions. I am about to order clems for next year and I need to know what your favorite whites are and why. The main reason for my planting them are for cuts, so of course, Candida is high on the list but there are many others. I am thinking of Tsuzuki, and Yuko komachi, Huldine. I would love to hear from you. Thanks. Merry Christmas, is anyone giving clems for gifts? Kat

Comments (19)

• carolyn18810
    14 years ago

KitKat

What time of year do you need them to flower? Of my white flowering Clematis, Miss Bateman is first for me in May, then followed by Alabast a week or so later. Then there is Hakuri and Huldine and lastly is Alba Luxurians.....

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Kat, I personally like Huldine and Alba Luxurians for climbers and Hakuree as the nonclimber, but then again I have always liked the type IIIs better than the type IIs due to my summer climate.

Huldine has a nice pink coloration down the back midrib for a little contrast to all that white. I love Alba Luxurians because for me it is very floriferous and the first blooms in the spring are always adorned with some green coloration on the tips of the sepals. Hakure is a dainty little flower with a nice slight jasminey fragrance for me.

• ingridkl
    14 years ago

My favorite is Gilian Blades. I love its wavy tepals.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

My favorite is C. florida 'Sieboldii', but I can't manage to keep the darn thing alive. 'Miss Bateman' is a close second but I also favor 'Guernsey Cream' (sort of an off-white) and 'Henryi'. FWIW, Henryi has been around for a long time and has a pretty tried and true track record.....IMO, it's tough to beat for reliable performance.

• kitkat_oregon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for your input. Carolyn, I am looking for blooms across the season, so Spring through Fall basically. I am liking Huldine and I am surprised that none of you grow Candida. Miguel, dont you grow her? Do you think that Alba Luxurians would be good for cuts? I like the green touches on the sepals, but do they persist through the season? Gardengal, the florida 'Sieboldii' is pretty notorious for disappointing people as far as I understand, although, I can quite see why you chose her, quite a beauty. Henryi is high on the list also. I am really interested in the Japanese introductions as they are pushing for the cutflower industry which is where my interest lies. Thanks again. Kat

• maggiepie_gw
    14 years ago

Maria Cornelia is beautiful if you like the viticellas.
    I've only had mine since August but the few flowers she had were stunning.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Thanks for bringing Maria Cornelia up Helen, I had forgotten about her. Don't have her yet.

Don't grow Candida Kat as it is a type II. For the most part they really don't do well for me in my zone. The green tips on Alba Luxurians tend to be present on mine only during the early spring. Any subsequent flowers are all white. Have never used Alba Luxurians for cut flowers so can't comment on that aspect. Just realize that the viticellas seem to be smaller flowers than the type IIs if that makes any difference to you.

Ingrid, I believe that Gillian Blades was always a favorite of Jeanne's for white clematis flowers. I was trying to remember the name to list it but it was a name that just wouldn't come to me.

Gardengal, like you Florida Sieboldii just won't live for me either. Tried it twice in two differnt spots from two different vendors and the darn plant would wilt every time it came into flower. This after several years in the ground so it was removed.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Miguel, I have no idea why florida Sieboldii presents such a challenge! As you know, I live in a climate that pretty much encourages the growth of any type of clematis and the hardiness ratings for this plant are appropriate. I think I've tried it at least 3 times over the years and it has never taken :-) Since I find the flowering of this selection entrancing, I no doubt will give it another try at some point in time.....it is just not an easy one to locate and I am not often inclined to mail order.

I tend to get a little PO'd when a plant that should grow for me doesn't. Even if it is something that I could take or leave, it kinda makes me want to conquer it before I decide on my own to get rid of it!!

• bob414
    14 years ago

If you have trouble growing Florida Sieboldii and can't grow it, it might be worth trying Vienetta. It doesn't grow as large but the flowers are similar. I don't have a picture of mine since I put it in the ground but here's a picture while I still had it inside in a pot after I found it at Trader Joe's for $5 a couple of years ago:

{{gwi:629117}}{{gwi:629118}}

If you like doubles Duchess of Edinburgh makes a nice white cut flower.

{{gwi:578773}}

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Who knows Pam but I am like you. I just can't accept things that should grow and don't! :(

Bob, I have Vienetta and so far it has survived its first year in the garden, but didn't produce many blooms. Being its first year, I am granting it clemency until I see how it does long term. I have Duchess of Edinburg--it was purchased as Belle of Woking which I thought was nice looking. The Duchess however doesn't like my garden either. If I get three blooms on her each growing season I am doing good. This is after cutting her back, putting compost around her several years in a row, and making sure she is watered. This is her last year or she is part of the compost pile! :)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have killed two florida Sieboldii myself!

Henryi has been a dog for me but I did not cut it back the first few years. It did respond to being cut back hard a few years ago but isn't that spectacular nor long blooming for me.

Gillian Blades is gorgeous with her wavy lavender tinted blooms but not vigorous nor spectacular for me either. :( I have been cutting her back as a new vine but she is past the three year point without even creeping let alone leaping.

• kitkat_oregon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

buyorsell, why do you think your henryi is not performing well? I am in Southern Oregon which of course, has a different climate from Portland, but I am interested in why your plant is not up to par. I am not investing in Sieboldii, too many troubles for me. Thank you all for this interesting thread. Merry Christmas everyone, happy holidays and I wish each of you a prosperous and wonderful New Year. Kat

• Mickie Marquis
    14 years ago

Huldine is great; blooms a long time. Alba luxuriens is another long bloomer and a different form. Has long stems and adds a nice element to arrangements with it's bell shape. I have a wall-of-whites with about 10 different whites; these are my faves. Marie Boiselot has good seed pods. I love the Gillian Blades also; but I rarely get more than a dozen blooms in a season!

Mickie

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

If you're interested in cut flowers, viticellas aren't that great (Maria Cornelia, e.g.) because their thin stems don't last long in water. I do grow Candida, and it's a great cut flower, but mine is in a lot of shade and I can't give a good critique. Integrifolias like Hakuree also do very well as cut flowers, though.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

I haven't had any problems cutting the flowers of viticellas and having them keep in water. I routinely keep vases of Betty Corning in the house due to their slight fragrance.

• kitkat_oregon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, you all have sold me on Huldine, the next question that I have about her is the shape of the blooms. Some of the photos I have seen of her have slightly cupped blooms as in they are are not fully flexed open and flattened out, is this true? Some of the photos I cant tell about the shape. Thanks again. Kat

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Hmm, you sure are testing my memory here Kitkat! LOL From the best of my recollections and looking at the pictures I have taken of her, the sepals are not totally flattened out. What comes to mind is what is represented in the pictures on COTW linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudine

• kitkat_oregon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Miguel, they looked slightly cupped to me. Good enough. Kat

• garystpaul
    14 years ago

Mickie mentioned Marie Boisselot and I'd like to second that. Its blooms are stunning and fairly glow in the evening light. Thumbs up to Huldine as wellÂlove the veining AND the vigor of this plant. Mine is growing through a tangle of an enormous 'Agnes' rugosa, which blooms once (early) in spring. When Huldine takes over, it's like having another huge flowering shrub. Gary

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA