Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

The Garland Collection

Is anyone familiar with these? Somewhat more recent inroductions by Raymond Evison, these are supposedly sold as blooming gift plants for indoor use (ala forced "florists" hydrangeas and azaleas). This month's Sunset magazine featured an article on them and I'm getting all sorts of calls for them at my nursery.

I have never seen these for sale in my area as gift plants, even though they've been around for several years. They all have some relationship to C. florida so acknowledge they could be somewhat more tender and therefore more suited to indoor culture but I just have trouble getting my head around growing a clematis indoors long term.

The Guernsey Farms/Evison website indicates they should bloom indoors for 6-8 weeks and after bloom, can be planted out in the garden, although a spring planting time is most recommended. There was no additional information as to how long one could expect this vine to live indoors if not hardy for your locale, the assumption I guess that most would intend to plant it outdoors eventually.

The only clematis I have ever had difficulty in growing were floridas and I live in a pretty benign zone for clematis. I did get a 'Pistachio' this past season, offered as a regular vining outdoor clematis, without any idea it was part of this collection. I am hopeful but not overly optimistic as this will make florida attempt #3. I just have to wonder how much sense it makes to offer this vine as a gift plant with an unknown life span indoors and mixed chances of success transitioning to outdoors in many areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset - Garland clematis

Comments (46)

• nckvilledudes
    18 years ago

Gardengal, I have seen the collection talked about in the past but don't have any of the ones in the series. I do know that there have been people on this forum in the past that have talked about obtaining these clematis but since they are relatively new, there probably isn't much hard and fast data out there as to how they perform outside. Perhaps one of those posters will chime in with what experience they have had.

What is peculiar is that when I googled the Garland Collection, I came up with the link below that shows the collection is composed of the following clematis:

Cassis
    Vienetta
    Peppermint

There is no mention of Pistachio as being one in the series--perhaps Sunset Magazine goofed on that part? I also looked up Pistachio on COTW and it doesn't say anything about it being part of the collection and as being released in 1999.

Cassis and Viennetta are stated as being part of the Garland Collection and released in 2003, whereas Peppermint is listed as being part of the Garland Collection released in 2002. Curious about the release dates but perhaps it may just be a typo on COTW's part.

As to whether to offer them, you could stock them and make people aware that they are relatively new and not much is known about them as far as outdoor culture goes. I do agree with you that most people's homes would not be particularly hospitable to clematis culture long term-- I would think they wouldn't get enough light, the humidity would be off, and that they would likely become infested with some sort of aphids, white flies, or similar insects.

One thing about the recent introductions by Evison is that little to no information is given as to pruning groups the clematis fall into. I know that the experienced gardener can probably figure this out over time, but I think it is a diservice to the public in general that this information is not given.

Here's hoping that someone with some experience with these clematis chimes in. I do remember seeing the names Viennetta and Cassis mentioned on this forum in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thompson-Morgan Link

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your comments, Miguel. It is not so much an issue of stocking them as I have no local source to acquire them, it's more of how well will they hold up to the hype of being "indoor" plants. And why feature them in a west coast gardening mag that has a huge readership, with the impression that they will be available at the drop of a hat at your local florist, grocery or nursery that sells flowering gift plants.

I get more than a little miffed at gardening magazines and local gardening columnists that tout plants that are very difficult if not impossible to find or don't even thrive in our climate. A recent article on evergreen clematis in the local newspaper by a local columnist who should know better is just one example. OK on the armandii and x cartmanii, which are easy to find in season (although ceratinly not winter flowering as the article intimated), much less so for the cirrhosa, which is hard to find and iffy in my climate at best, but ridiculous with the reference to C. fasciculiflora, which is singularly uncommon and requires a specialty nursery, if one can locate it at all. Of course, we are fielding all sorts of calls on these at the nursery, as well as for the "houseplant" Garland clematis.

btw, since the Garland are supposedly all hybrids or selections of florida, I'd assume a group II pruning appropriate, should one get it to survive long enough :-) We'll see how well my 'Pistachio' takes to a PNW winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garland series

• nckvilledudes
    18 years ago

Gardengal, I emailed COTW about this collection but have not yet heard back. I specifically asked about which ones were in the collection as well as the issue of why Cassis and Viennetta were released one year and Peppermint in another year. I also asked if Pistachio is a part of the collection. It does appear that it is from your latest link.

Weird that cirrhosas are not hardy in your area. My cirrhosa 'Freckles' has survived, but not thrived, in my zone 7a garden in a pot on a south facing wall. Also, my Clematis florida 'Sieboldi' has also survived with no problems except for some wilting issues right at flowering time.

One point to note, the floridas are listed as type IIIs. I know I have treated Sieboldi that way and it has flowered for me within the same year. Actually this past year it flowered twice. Well, sort of since it was in full flower and wilted (I don't think clematis wilt--just wilt) so I cut it back essentially to the ground and it flowered a short time this fall until frost took it out.

• Cady
    18 years ago

I found a "Pistachio" at Home Depot yesterday and brought it home. It says that if planted outdoors - hardy in zones 4-11 - it should go in shade or part shade. Indoors, it's supposed to get indirect bright light. The tag said that the Garland varieties are "specially designed" for indoor growing, but that they can be planted in the garden. It gave growing instructions regarding shade, mulch, and the usual clematis needs.

• Cady
    18 years ago

Meant to say, the tag also said that "Pistachio" blooms on "new wood," which does give a hint about pruning requirements. It also says that it will bloom 6-8 weeks in the house, and continue to bloom during the summer months if planted outside in spring.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cady, do you plan to grow this clematis indoors? If so, please keep us posted on how well it does. I am just quite surprised that a clematis, any clematis, would be considered a good candidiate for a flowering houseplant. But you never know!

• Cady
    18 years ago

I'm not sure yet, gardengal48. I got it as an experiment, because I'm wondering what you are wondering. Will it or will it not thrive in the house... time will tell.

Problem is, I could give in to the urge to plant it in the garden this spring. It's supposed to be compact, and I want to see how big it will get. Also, I want to see whether this clematis really will grow in the shade (rather than the sun-on-top, shady roots that most prefer).

The Home Depot ones were selling for $14.95 so it was hard to pass up. I might get another and do a comparison test (keep one in the house, plant the other outside).

But, I will keep this one in the house for a minimum of four months. That might be long enough to tell how this cultivar will fare indoors.

• nckvilledudes
    18 years ago

Gardengal, Richard got back to me right before Christmas. He has updated COTW to list Pistachio as being part of the Garland Collection.

I too will be interested in how your Pistachio does indoors over the four month period. Keep us updated on its progress.

• Cady
    18 years ago

I'll report in with results. In the meantime, it had several blooms open at Home Depot, and there are at least six unopen buds. I don't know how long the plants were in the store - how long it had been since they were in the greenhouse. Probably they have been on the shelf for at least a couple of weeks, as they were likely meant to be Christmas gift items. There were a few withered leaves on the specimen I bought, but it is healthy and vigorous so far. Surprising for a plant that has had to sit in Home Depot for a couple weeks.

I repotted it and gave it a dilute feeding of ferts. It's in a southeast location where it gets bright indirect light, particularly in the morning. So far, it's looking good.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    18 years ago

I'm off to Home Depot now to look for it! Buying a clematis in winter, any clematis, will be a treat!

Speaking of experiments, I am experimenting with overwintering two "excess" potted clematis in the basement under lights this winter.

I had an extra Niobe with no place to go (change of plans on a particular trellis). And I got new Pink Fantasy in the fall that I want to see the color of before I plant it. So I thought I would try an indoor experiment.

The Pink Fantasy did absolutely NOTHING in front of a filtered southwest window. Niobe was doing pretty well under basement flourescent lights. It looked like it was getting a bit leggy and the height available is limited, so I cut it back. Pink Fantasy recently went to the basement too. It seems to be putting out a little growth. we'll see.

• Cady
    18 years ago

Wendy,
    I found them at the Home Depot on Highland Ave. in Salem, Mass. Sometimes different stores have different plants, but maybe all of the Mass. Home Depots got the same things. There were a few on the shelf when I got there on Monday. I doubt many other people are shopping for clematis at this time, so your local store may have some left as well.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Although I patronize places like Home Despot only under duress, I think a visit is in order for me as well :-)) I wouldn't mind trying to grow one of these indoors for awhile, just to see what happens. I will be very surprised to see if they have such a creature on offer........local HD's seem to take a very back seat to retail nurseries in this area as far as plant selection is concerned.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    18 years ago

actually, I tend to shop in southern NH Home Depots. That may be a different buying region. oh-oh... I might have to head south. I have a gorgeous amaryllis about to bloom. A garland would look so good with it!

• Cady
    18 years ago

Did you both get to Home Depot and find any of the Garlands?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cady, my trek to Home Depot yesterday turned up only some pathetic orchids and bedraggled hydrangeas amongst the indoor foliage plants and a brand new shipment of rhododendrons outdoors. No clematis in any shape or form. But I did pick up a couple of very useful storage containers :-)

• Cady
    18 years ago

Dang. Plenty of pathetic orchids at most Home Depots, so it appears. I wonder if Wendy fared better. I'd pick up a Garland and mail it to you if I thought it would make it to Wash. alive! But the remaining specimens looked marginal and in need of TLC to begin with.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    18 years ago

Nope, no clems here either. I hit 2 Home Depots and got suckered into two not-too-bad orchids and a ZZ plant. One HD had better stuff than the other.

Instead, I'm dealing with my clematis addiction by planning next years purchases. THe list is up to about 20 but I hope to whittle it down a bit! I made a New Year's resolution to go easy this year. I just finished tallying and indexing my 2005 purchases: 175 plants (excluding annuals). Holy Cow!!!

• Cady
    18 years ago

Now that I've had my Garland "Pistachio" for a month, here's a report:

After I potted it up, it spent a few weeks focusing on root growth. That slowed the flowering down, and many of the flower buds that were on the plant when I first brought it home, sat there and did nothing. The foliage seemed to languish, too, and I trimmed off a lot of dead leaves.

Now, though, the buds are starting to get bigger and open. The plant has put out new stem and foliar growth, as well. It seems to be living up to the grower's promise that this variety is "designed" for indoors.

Last week, I went back to Home Depot and saw that there was one Garland clematis left -- a "Vienetta." I could pass it up, as it was still alive but looking desperate. I haven't repotted, but I did put the plant in the sunroom and gave it a drink of dilute ferlizer solution. It is looking much better.

I haven't decided whether to keep these as indoor plants. The instinct to grow them in the garden is powerful, as clematis is so traditionally (and biologically) suited to garden cultivation.

But, I have to admit that in a classic urn, it makes a very attractive houseplant.

• Cady
    18 years ago

I meant to write that I COULDN'T pass up buying the sad looking "Vienetta." It gets repotted this week and we'll see if it matches its "Pistachio" counterpart in adapting to in-the-house cultivation. It has no blooms, but if it can put out something that looks like the photo on the tag, I'll be delighted. It's a complex-looking flower with a nice lavender-pink hue.

• jules7ky
    18 years ago

I got a 'Vienetta' from HD in November. I "temporarily" put it in one of the warm greenhouses at work, and it stopped my co-workers in their tracks! (Especially the passionflower fans.) It's been blooming nonstop - resting a little bit now, but there are all kinds of new buds coming on. It's also been growing well, climbing off the top of the little trellis and looking for anything to grab.

I just repotted it into a gallon container this week and gave it some Osmocote. Lots of nice healthy roots! I almost can't bear to bring it home, but am planning to experiment by planting it in the yard. The tag claimes Zones 4-11, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure.

I haven't gone back to Home Depot since, mainly so I won't be tempted to spend another $17.95 (!!).

Those of you who are growing yours indoors, any progress to report? Or should I keep cheating & leave mine where it is?

• Cady
    18 years ago

My "Vienetta" is producing flower buds now that it's been in the sunroom for a couple weeks. The "Pistachio" is resting flowerwise, but is sending out new foliage.

While both Garland clematis are doing okay, neither is as robust as a garden grown clematis. I believe they will be happier outside. I don't believe the hardiness claim, either -- don't think these would be happy in zone 4. But I am willing to see if they are doable in zone 6b.

• carefreeplants
    18 years ago

I got my Viennetta from HD last November 2005, in bloom.

It has been on a SE window and has never stopped blooming -just a wonderful clematis!

I haven't repotted it, but, it is also growing new stems now.

Is it possible to root these stems by layering?

• gracefull23
    18 years ago

Anybody care to share photos of their plants?

I would love to see them!!

• Cady
    18 years ago

When I get a new battery for my camera. I'm so lazy. :)

• carefreeplants
    18 years ago

I have photos under the discussion topic "Clematis Viennetta".

The photos were taken about two weeks after I had purchased the plant.

• seattlesuze
    18 years ago

Gardengal, did you ever find a local source for Pistachio? I have a friend who desperately wants to have one and I'd love to surprise her. After reading Rogerson's description, I'm intrigued sufficiently to try one outdoors. He states clearly that it's a Type III.

Here is a link that might be useful: c. florida Pistachio 'Evirida'

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Suze, I did get my Pistachio locally, from Sky Nursery I think. (I am an equal opportunity nursery shopper and visit all the local ones regularly although I disguise it as scouting the competition :-)) You could call and ask them, although I think it is too early for them to have much of a selection on offer yet. I have tried florida Sieboldii twice before with terrible results so I think correct siting in our climate is the key - it needs more summer heat than we typically can provide. I am interested to see how mine faired over our funky winter. There is no sign of life yet although most of my other clematis are budding out well.

• seattlesuze
    18 years ago

Gardengal, You da bomb! I called Sky and they have a 2-gallon that they're holding for me. If my friend doesn't want it because it's pricey ($40), I'll take it. It looks so lovely and I think I have the perfect microclimate against a white house wall. According to the search data, it was bred as a gift that could be kept indoors for 6-8 weeks and then transplanted in spring into the garden where it would flourish. Hoping I can do that and waiting to hear how your's has survived.

BTW, I did make it up to your nursery several weeks ago and bought some bee-yew-tiful hellebores! You do a great job up there.

• jeanne_texas
    18 years ago

Seattle Sue..You might wanna Check with Debbie first!!..She sometimes has Clematis not listed on her site...Jeanne

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Excellent, suze!! Hope it thrives for you. And thanks for the compliment re: the nursery - the place is looking pretty good considering our very late start to spring. Now all we need are some swarms of customers!

• seattlesuze
    18 years ago

Jeanne, Thanks so much for sending me on to Deb who, in fact, had dropped a note on GB to let me know she does have it. Further posting from England indicates that this is the weakest of all the Garlands and may not be so much what's right for my garden. My friend passed (out) on the price point. I've decided to wait for my visit to Debbie's at the end of the month and will see Pistachio with me own eyes. At this point, I don't even know if she's growing it in the greenhouse, but I'd bet that she is.

Gardengal: *sending psychic vibes to lots of local gardeners to shop in Mill Creek for the great plant selection* Have a happy selling season!

• seattlesuze
    18 years ago

Jeanne, Thanks so much for sending me on to Deb who, in fact, had dropped a note on GB to let me know she does have it. Further posting from England indicates that this is the weakest of all the Garlands and may not be so much what's right for my garden. My friend passed (out) on the price point. I've decided to wait for my visit to Debbie's at the end of the month and will see Pistachio with me own eyes. At this point, I don't even know if she's growing it in the greenhouse, but I'd bet that she is.

Gardengal: *sending psychic vibes to lots of local gardeners to shop in Mill Creek for the great plant selection* Have a happy selling season!

• jeanne_texas
    18 years ago

Sue...I am so glad she had it...I think 40 bucks for a Clematis NO MATTER what size the pot is outrageous and besides Debbies Clematis are awesome and have the most gorgeous rootsystems...you will be pleased..I don't have that one so I can't say about it's hardiness in your zone...since you and Debbie are in the same area ..she should know how well it does..trust her!!...I am happy for you...Jeanne

• Cady
    18 years ago

Well, here's the latest update on "Pistachio" and "Viennetta" as houseplants.

They haven't bloomed since I bought and repotted them 3 months ago. But the foliage is fine and they are sending out new growth, including sprouts from the ground. Because I potted them up after bringing them home, my guess is they have focused their energy on new root growth, ditching the flower production for the time being.

Probably they will start blooming again this spring/summer. But I'm planning to plant them in the garden. As much as I am enjoying observing clematis as a house plant, part of me just believes that they should be in the garden. :)

• Cady
    18 years ago

Ack! Fungus!
    Everything was fine until this week, when the "Pistachio" started getting dead, crisp leaves with white fungus or mildew spots on it.

I'm cutting off the diseased areas, but what else can I do to help the plant? Would putting it outdoors in a sunny spot help during mild days?

• gardengranni
    17 years ago

I, like Cady, purchased my Pistachio and Viennetta last winter, but I got mine at Lowes in Salem, OR. Mine bloomed for awhile until the buds were all open and then did nothing, but noticed the leaved were dying from the bottem up. Finally, not liking the plant or believing that I could revive it (nor did I want to baby it along), I placed it out on my back deck in the rain of winter here. Well, by golly, the plant put on new leaves and today I am going to plant them in my garden. Morning sun.......shade by noon. That is the spot I have and that is where I hope they will thrive. We will see and I will keep you all posted. I might add, I spent 2 hours this morning looking for growing instructions for these plants on the internet. But to no avail....I will plant and mulch....then do follow up with fert, etc. Wish me luck........

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

WOw grannie ..what a testiment to their survival eh?...Just plant it with some bonemeal and about 2-4 inches deeper than it was before...keep the roots moist..they love that...GOODLUCK!!..Jeanne

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Lowe's in Portland (Fairview) OR had them yesterday. They are grown by Nurseryman's Exchange in Half Moon Bay CA as gift potted plants. I saw at least three sold while I was shopping. I saw Pistachio for sure and several others but they may be gone now, it was a feeding frenzy for Mother's Day.

Portland Nursery on Stark had some too, in bigger pots without fancy wrap for more than twice the money. There was a dark pink one that was beautiful.

• roula
    17 years ago

Trader Joe has been stocking the Garland Clematis' for about 2 years now at very fair prices. I have three in my garden, from TJ's, in full sun and they're doing fine...a Pistachio, a Josephine, a Cezanne, and a Niobe. Today I bought a Vienetta from them as well for $9.99. I couldn't resist it:)

• llbean
    17 years ago

Just wondering who debbie is as I am collecting clematis this year..
    :)

laura

• golden_ca_2000
    17 years ago

Yes I would like to know who Debbie is also? As I have been looking for one of these varieties of clematis also. Can anyone tell me the planting directions on the Garland -is it basically the same as a regular clematis??? One more thing - I would really love to see some pictures of any of your Garland clematis! Anyone have any pictures??? Golden

• WendyB 5A/MA
    16 years ago

I know this post is a little old, but I just received one of these as a gift. I was warned to overwinter it as a tender perennial. I've got Vienetta. Hope it makes it!

{{gwi:629315}}

• violetta1976
    16 years ago

Anyone have any updates?

Was the final verdict that clematis just don't like being houseplants?

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Debbie is most likely Debbie of Silver Star Vinery.

Some parts of the world are very sunny even if very cold and people grow flowering plants on their window sills with ease. If you live where you can successfully grow mini roses indoors you can most likely grow these Clematis indoors.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Debbie is most definitely Debbie Fischer of Silver Star Vinery. Great plants with great root systems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Star Vinery

• dianevibrown_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Here it is 2009

I am up in Canada, and my daughter, just today bought me Garland Viennetta for mothers day.

Purchases at our Sobeys Grocery store for twelve dollars and change
    Gorgeous flowers on it

And I like the leaf shape Had never came across the Garland Series before

It mentions on the label that they may be grown in as low as zone 4

Folks what more was decided as to planting outside or not.