Return to the Clivia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Might this be a Clivia?

Posted by roseseek z 10, SoCal (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 2:22

A good friend gifted me this plant, but was unsure what it is. The thing is healthy and looks like a Clivia with extremely wide leaves to me, but I can't find anything on line to identify it. Might anyone please be able to provide a name for it so I can learn more about it? Thanks! Kim
DSCN3279
DSCN3280
DSCN3281

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Might this be a Clivia?

Kim,
It does look similar, but I think not. What do the roots look like? Clivia grow on a pseudo bulb as opposed to having roots per se. Healthy ones look like a mass of light colored earthworms.
Gail

o

A friend advised that it could be an orchid in need of TLC.

o

I agree. It looks like a phalaenopsis. The potting mix looks like it might be spent orchid bark. You might want to repot it in fresh bark.

o

Thank you! Unfortunately, the person who gave it to me doesn't 'speak plant'. He is a gifted animal breeder and can keep pretty much any plant alive. He just isn't tuned into them enough to remember much about them. Here are a few photos taken a little while ago. Hopefully, they'll help answer some questions about it. The thing appears to be bulbous to me. The foliage isn't striated underneath, nor variegated on their surfaces. There is a sort of embossed texture to the upper surfaces, but not heavily. I was originally concerned it might be a phalaenopsis, which would be impossible to maintain in this house. Fortunately, it's in potting soil with real roots, so that isn't an issue. Thanks! Kim

DSCN3348

DSCN3347

DSCN3346

DSCN3344

DSCN3342

DSCN3339

o

Hi,
Absolutely not a phalaenopsis. I grow them; they are different. What comes to my mind is some sort of Haemanthus. Not the Heamanthus coccineus, though.

o

It looks much like my Haemanthus albiflos. That's my guess.

John

o

I agree c H. albiflo.

o

Just chiming in to say that this thread is fabulous, so interesting. Off to learn more about haemanthus albiflos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clivia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here