Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teisa_gw

Where to find Clivia

teisa
11 years ago

I'm new to Clivias. I'm wondering if the Box Stores carry Clivias? Maybe it's a certain season I need to be looking for them? I've heard people say Lowes, but I wasn't sure if it was bought recently. I know i can do mail order but wondered if i could find one in bloom. Thanks for info!

Comments (19)

• monet_g
    11 years ago

The good news is that we're moving into the time to be looking for them (bloom time). The bad news is that they're not that easy to find.

I saw a few at an upscale nursery here the other day. If you live in an area that Meijer stores are located, they often carry them in Feb/March. I've never seen them at Lowe's or HD.

Another option would be to look at small family nurseries - ones that don't clear out their stock with the seasons.

Now, that's for this area. If you live in California/west coast area you probably won't have as much difficulty.

If you do decide to mail order, feel free to contact me. There are a lot of dishonest (both with plant material and pricing) people out there.

• greengirl2009
    11 years ago

Teisa, Thanks for the post. I have also been looking in the big box stores for several years with no luck. Would be interested in any information you receive.Thanks

• greengirl2009
    11 years ago

Teisa, Thanks for the post. I have also been looking in the big box stores for several years with no luck. Would be interested in any information you receive.Thanks

• greengirl2009
    11 years ago

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted to add that I live near Knoxville, Tn. So no chance in shopping in Ca :( And unfortunately there isn't a Meijer, that I'm aware of. There is a couple larger (for us) nurseries in town though. I'm going to check them out before ordering!! Thanks for the info!!

• mariava7
    11 years ago

Hi teisa! I am around 1 1/2 hours away from Knoxville.
    I have likewise looked around for clivias in this area before. Most of the local nurseries don't even know what a clivia is though...unfortunately. So this has led me to ordering them online, in and outside USA for the past years. Below is a link to pictures of the clivias I have acquired and made bloom here in my garden. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maria's Garden

• winnjoe
    11 years ago

Here in Canada the chain hardware places carry them in their garden section, in a few months, blooming. I presume they come from the States. They're all the same basic orangish-flower but a decent size.

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mariava, those are beautiful!! What city do you live in? I only have 1 right now and I didn't take pictures last year with my camera (only cell phone) but I will post it when it blooms this year. Thanks for showing yours! I hope to grow such beautiful ones someday.

• mariava7
    11 years ago

Thanks Teisa! I'm in the south western end of Virginia where TN, KY and VA meet.

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I've seen them at Home Depot around Valentines day.

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great!! I'm gonna be keeping my eyes open this weekend!! I would love to find one :) that would make a Great Valentine! Thanks for the heads up!

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

Teisa: I've seen them for sale at Kroger this time of year. This is in a small town in Ohio, at a shore with a small floral department, so I would guess a larger store in Knoxville might carry them, or be willing to order one through their supplier.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

The website for the North American Clivia Society has a list of links to legitimate sellers and sources of clivia information. I wouldn't buy a clivia through EBay (although there are some aboveboard sources there), but I have purchased from several members of NACS. Many plants are quite expensive, but you can get some special plants at decent prices if you buy them young. They will be head and shoulders above anything you find in a big box store.

Here is a link that might be useful: North American Clivia Society

• monet_g
    11 years ago

I plan on culling seedlings from some very choice crosses in the spring. I just don't have the room for all of them. If you're interested, and willing to pay for postage, you can contact me in late April.

Gail

• mariava7
    11 years ago

I don't mind purchasing from eBay as not all NACS members or collectors maintain a website to show what they can offer. A lot of them would throw in on eBay their extra offsets/seedlings/seeds when they have any at a time that is convenient for them. I've seen and bought some clivias from NACS members, officers and board of directors from their ebay offerings. I purchased my very first yellows from eBayer sellers from California at reasonable prices and up to this day they still delight me with their flowers every spring.
    Here is one of my Solomone Yellows with my grandbaby that I purchased from ebay 2/3 years ago...$25 plus shipping.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 15:21

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I've searched for last 3 days at many nurseries, Lowes, HD, Krogers! No luck! But I'll look into NACS members. Gail, thank you very much for your offer! Our Anniversary is in April!! :)

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted to add that I planted 8 seeds from my mother in laws plant. But I've read alot of posts, info on the Internet that talks about problems growing from seed. I'm afraid they won't survive.
    I washed them thoroughly, soaked in peroxide, and planted in a mixture of orchid mix, perlite, bark. I just barely covered the seeds and put them in an enclosed container on a window sill. Does this sound like growing conditions needed for germination? Is there anything else I need to do?
    Thank you guys, you have been very helpful!

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Teisa,
    Your approach sounds fine although I think most people just lay the seeds on top of the medium. I'd open up the container periodically to let fresh air in or even leave the top a bit ajar. Watch for fungal growth. It's the number one cause for failure (other than old seeds).

You'll want to observe, make appropriated changes as needed and it's how you'll gain experience. What works for one person, won't necessarily work for another.

Good luck and have fun!
    Gail

• teisa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again Gail. I will do as you instructed. If I do notice the seeds getting fungus... How do I take care of it? I really appreciate your offer for the plant come spring. I will gladly buy one from you. I appreciate the offer :)
    The main plants I grow are Hoyas but I have fallen for the Clivia!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm